Gift for internship supervisors

I have an internship at a private practice for the summer. The two owners have been my supervisors and I wanted to give them something at the end of the summer. I was going to write them thank you cards but I’m not sure what to say, I want to avoid writing the same thing in both cards. I was also wondering if I should give them a small gift too, trying to say away from gift cards but maybe flowers or something? I just want them to feel appreciated. Anyone have any ideas?

I've been thinking about this exact question for the SLP I've been observing. I know observation hours aren't the same as an internship, but I'd still like to give her a card to show how much I appreciated the opportunity.

I've looked on Reddit, etc and the consensus seems to be that a card is greatly appreciated but a gift is not needed and if desired should be chosen with care so it's not awkward. It might be uncreative, but I think a gift card could work if it's something that reflects their personality, like a Starbucks card for a coffee lover or Barnes & Noble for a bookworm. Other people have mentioned getting things from Etsy, Peachy Speechie, or a gift card to Teachers Pay Teachers. 

For one of my externship sites, my supervisor and I developed a strong bond.  I gifted her with some (relatively) inexpensive but much needed therapy materials.  Things like a penlight with batteries for oral mech exams and a favorite therapy game that had broken/many missing pieces.

For me, I wanted to give something useful, meaningful, and SLP-related.

I gave them all a card. One also got cookies and another one a set of pens that she liked. I gave my CF mentor a card and cute decorative sign from hallmark. Whatever shows your gratitude will be appreciated. 

I’ve always just given a supervisor a card with something along the lines of “thank you for all of your help this semester—I’ve learned a lot” and include a $5-$10 Starbucks card (because who doesn’t like Starbucks?!). I always make sure to do this after the semester is over and grades are in, because like you said, you don’t want to make things awkward.

One thing to consider about gift giving. Some institutions have limits to the dollar amount a supervisor can accept as a gift. Some places don't allow for accepting of gifts at all. I would find a way to check into this before if you can. Just a thought!

For a my rotation lab I didn't end up joining, I dressed up a TB plush with a lab coat from Etsy, plus some fun things for it to hold.

36222425_10156394290617381_2666003509068955648_n.jpg

I've given different supervisors things based on what I think they would like. I gave my first supervisor an inexpensive laminator because she loved my laminated materials I made. :) I gave my next one a basket of some of her favorite treats/a couple fun, new things to enjoy over Christmas break. Last semester, I had two, and I gave them each flowers (nice grocery store ones that I arranged in thrifted vases). I also brought in store-bought cookies on my last day for the office staff and the other therapists at that site because they had all been so welcoming and helpful to me. I always write a personalized note detailing what I enjoyed about working with them and thanking them for their investment in me. 

Other ideas are to give a gift like a game or donate needed supplies instead of giving something directly to the supervisor. I've also donated things like copies of games I've bought inexpensively at the thrift store or yard sales after I've used them with clients.  

My program has never mentioned anything about giving a gift, but I know that many of my classmates do give them as well. Keep it reasonably priced, and based on something that person would like. Definitely don't give something overly expensive that would make someone feel uncomfortable. 

I think a thank you card is super sweet. Just be sincere and thank them for their time and energy. They do a lot of work for students that no one ever sees. If you really would like to do something else, maybe consider getting them a gift card to a coffee shop or some place they like. One thing I've done that people always appreciate is just bringing snacks (doughnuts, fruit tray, bagels, etc) into the office for everyone with a note expressing your gratitude.