Looking for PhD programs that emphasize Teaching and/or Mindfulness

psychgirl44

Hello all,

I’m interested in applying to Clinical Psychology Ph.D. and Counseling Psychology Ph.D. programs this fall. I have a love for both therapy and research, but my greatest passion is teaching. I’m specifically interested in teaching mindfulness. My dream is to develop a mindfulness-based treatment program that merges mindfulness education with mindfulness therapeutic interventions. Does anyone know of any psychology doctoral programs that place an emphasis on teaching, have a wide variety of teaching assistantships available, and/or grant students a lot of freedom and flexibility in TA positions? I would love to focus my time and energy in grad school developing/teaching an evidence-based mindfulness course to undergraduates, while simultaneously conducting research on the efficacy of mindfulness-based interventions, learning how best to improve upon them.

also, can anyone recommend programs that integrate mindfulness-based therapies into the curriculum or faculty with mindfulness research interests?

Thank you!

I"m pretty sure that University of Kentucky and University of Louisville both have professors doing research in mindfulness. You may also look into Southern Miss or Texas Womens - I've been in contact with both, and it seems that they offer a lot of flexibility to their graduate students to develop and pursue specific career goals . Good luck with your plans--- I think it is great that you have been able to identify such specific career goals! 

• 5 months later...
On 7/29/2018 at 8:20 PM, psychgirl44 said:

Thank you so much for the info and encouragement! ?

Would be curious what we have discovered in the meantime! I do am interested mostly in teaching after I (hopefully) complete a PhD program. So if you have any guidance to pass along it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

University of Miami counseling program has a specific teaching training track.  The clinical and counseling programs have a number of professors who research mindfulness, flourishing, and other positive psych concepts.

UNL also has professors within the counseling department that research mindfulness, positive psychology, and in fact one professor currently is doing research on how yoga affects trauma. So that could also be something you might possibly be interested in.