Blogging as a graduate student

Adelaide9216

Hello,

Applications are open at my current university to blog for the graduate department. Basically, it's writing two pieces of blog per month (on top of get togethers with fellow bloggers) to give tips to other graduate students but also share one's experience with graduate school and academia. I have a lot of ideas of topics, but I'm debating whether or not it's worth it for me to apply. I'm already very busy and I wonder what would be the "plus value" to my professional life of doing something like that when I already have a lot on my plate.

What are your thoughts? 

I don't know that I personally would take on the extra work if it's unpaid.  Your time is probably better spent writing SOPs, reaching out to professors, etc.  Basically, I doubt it will prepare you for your PhD application.

That said, if you're planning on applying to the PhD program at your current university, and you think you'd win favor by doing it, sure.  But I'd still hesitate to work for free or for "exposure."  Exposure doesn't pay the bills, and your time has value!

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I wouldn't do this, not if you are planning to apply to doctoral programs in the fall. They aren't paying you, and as was already mentioned, that time could be spent writing statements and other things to prepare you for doctoral applications.

If you really, really wanted to do this, I'd say go for it. But it sounds like you're only considering it if it'll add something to your resume, and I don't think it will.

Another reason not to blog is that unless you're an exceptional writer, your entries may not always represent your best thinking, writing, and editing. Will members of a job search committee give you the benefit of the doubt if you send them to your blog via your CV?

Also, if you're a prolific blogger, the Powers That Be may develop the concern that you're going to be more focused on your social media presence and developing your "brand" than doing the actual job.