CV Honors & Awards

p287

Question

This is a bit of a weird question...

Prior to pursuing a Master's degree, I was a full-time athlete for 10 years. I had decent success, including being inducted into national halls of fame, etc. This background is loosely related to my proposed PhD research (or, it at least led me to being passionate about my area of research).

I am now putting together a CV for my PhD applications and am wondering whether any of my athletic honors/awards should be included. Certainly not minor ones, but I'm wondering if some of the larger honors might speak to my background knowledge of my topic, dedication/work ethic, that sort of thing. On the other hand, it seems silly to include such things on an academic CV.

Thanks in advance.

3 answers to this question

If it's relevant to your research and could help in your career, I would include it. Make a section for it, like "Non-academic awards and honors". No harm in including them if they are relevant to your field of study in some way.