kp_87

I'm currently applying for Phd programs in media studies. I noticed on some applications they ask for a writing sample, however I don't actually have any current research articles to submit. I did complete a Master program, where I did a short documentary as my research thesis vs a full length thesis paper. So my question is what should I do to complete the writing sample portion of my application? Also are there any tips anyone has for ways that I can make a strong application. I currently have a BA in TV Production, an MS in Journalism and several years of media and teaching experience in tv production, however I am geared towards completing a Phd now in media studies which deals directly with film this time around so I can broaden my background in media as a whole.

You can submit a final paper for a course you previously took. The sample is to show your writing skills, does not have to be a long article, some universities may specify what kind or even page limit so please check with the program coordinator. Also, some may have writing prompts for you.