How do you explain employment gaps on a resume?

invincible49

Hey all,

I am in the process of applying to grad school this year but I'm really stumped by one question.

Juts a brief background: I left one job by the end of June 2017. I took a few months off to study for the GRE (which I gave in October), do an online course and find a new job. By November 2017, I found a new job and started working again by December 2017.

How do I address this on a resume? Harvard, for example, specifically states I should address employment gaps in the resume. Ideally I would like to use the optional essay for this but they have clearly mentioned resume. Any ideas?

I had a 6-month gap in my resume when I applied to HKS. I used the optional essay to write a very brief (3 - 4 lines) summary of what I did during that time (traveled and took online classes). I left out any mention of looking for a job and instead focused on how I used that time for my personal development.