Taking the GRE early

AliceS13

I am currently a Junior attending Florida Institute of Technology for their Forensic Psychology program. I also have a Pre-Law minor and the CAST certificate for child advocacy. I am studying abroad in the spring, so i was advised to take the GRE before i went so that i would have time in the summer before my senior year to re-take it if possible. Due to some confusion about who was paying for it (my parents or me) i now have two dates scheduled for the GRE. I will be taking it October 22nd and November 30th. I took a GRE review course offered by Kaplan over the summer and made HUGE improvements in my practice tests, but that course has since ended. I still have the review books and everything for it but i am wondering if anyone has tips for studying in the weeks before my testing date? The best i did on a practice test was 97th percentile in Verbal and 37th percentile in Quant i would LOVE to have above 50th percentile in quant since my verbal has been so high.

1 hour ago, AliceS13 said:

I am currently a Junior attending Florida Institute of Technology for their Forensic Psychology program. I also have a Pre-Law minor and the CAST certificate for child advocacy. I am studying abroad in the spring, so i was advised to take the GRE before i went so that i would have time in the summer before my senior year to re-take it if possible. Due to some confusion about who was paying for it (my parents or me) i now have two dates scheduled for the GRE. I will be taking it October 22nd and November 30th. I took a GRE review course offered by Kaplan over the summer and made HUGE improvements in my practice tests, but that course has since ended. I still have the review books and everything for it but i am wondering if anyone has tips for studying in the weeks before my testing date? The best i did on a practice test was 97th percentile in Verbal and 37th percentile in Quant i would LOVE to have above 50th percentile in quant since my verbal has been so high.

Timed practice tests. The timing was one of the things that really got me. Also, they only ever test you on certain (annoying) types of math, so just figure out what they're going to ask you and just drill, drill, drill. That's the approach I took and I got 90+ percentile in verbal and writing and 50+ percentile in quant (which was good enough for me because I'm horrible at timed math). I also took my test relatively early (May after junior year ended), so I think that's a smart move. 

I think a big thing is identifying what your struggling with. Are you running out of time or are you getting questions wrong? What type of questions tend to trip you up the most. One of the benefits of the GRE Quant is that it's fairly cookie-cutter so you know what to expect from test to test. Identify things you do well and things you don't do well and shore them up. Also, if your taking the test on the computer, be sure you also take one of the practice computer tests as well. There's a completely different dynamic between taking a paper practice test and the actual computer test.