GRE writing 4.0 too low for Clinical Psychology

FallGO

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2018 at 9:26 AM, ResilientDreams said:

Yeah. I feel like if you have two really high scores and one score that's low but still above cutoff it's fine. 

A 4.0 is about the 59th percentile, I believe. Most clinical psychology programs don't state the average writing scores for admitted students, but under Student Data and Outcomes, it's normally high 4s, and low 5s. That is, near the 90th percentile.

Are cutoffs for the writing section listed anywhere for clinical psych programs? I'm in the same position as OP.

I applied with  4.0 writing score last year and had no problems, none of my letter writers ever mentioned anything to me about it. I feel like as long as you don't completely bomb the writing section it doesn't matter!

For Clinical Psych your writing is evaluated in your application by more than just your GRE writing score.  Programs are also looking at your SOP and if you have the option of submitting a writing sample then do it.  The 3 of those things combined tells programs way more about your writing ability than just a GRE score where they don't actually see what you wrote.  Your LOR writers may also comment on your writing abilities.

Edited by MarineBluePsy

The writing score is irrelevant. It does not reflect the nature of scientific writing, and the faculty making decisions know that.

I'm at a large state school, and I know that writing scores aren't even used here when making cut off decisions for admission and funding. The verbal, quant, and undergrad GPA are all that matter.