Worst Rejection That You Ever Received?

KAMALAGRAD

Hey all,

Just thought I'd open up a thread similar to "The Negative Thread" which might make posters feel better by realizing they are not so bad off after all. I also thought this thread would help the posters themselves as since some rejections are just so bad or make you feel so bad, that with the last few decisions coming in, you can't help, but feel better than you did with that devastating rejection.

I'll open it up. Thus far, I have only gotten one straight out rejection for grad school (hopefully it stays that way!). It was a generic e-mail sent out by UC Berkeley. It felt especially bad as it was the first decision I received in general. I thought of Berkeley as a reach school, which helped a little, but after getting called for an interview with a Berkeley rep and doing what I think/thought was really good on the interview, I was pretty surprised when I checked my e-mail one day just to find that rejection. Not even a paper letter. No waitlist. Nothing.

Anyway, on the positive side I got accepted to Syracuse University and even waitlisted for Columbia (which I liked much better than Berkeley anyway). So it didn't turn out to be the end of the world after all!

Dear Prospective Student,

After carefully reviewing this year's applications, we regret to inform you that your application has been DENIED. This should in no way be a negative reflection on your skills and abilities as a student. Rather, we believe that you would be a poor fit in our department, as we currently do not have any professors specializing in the field of FAIL. Enclosed is an application form for the McDONALDS nearest your location, where our committee believes you will be best suited to continue your post-graduate education. Best of luck in all your future endeavors (you'll need it).

Sincerely,

Dean of Graduate Studies

Here's mine. I will not reveal the institution or individual who sent it, but it should certainly make you all feel better:

I applied with a 1997 BA in French at William and Mary, 2.66 GPA. Which was certainly low, but there were good reasons for that, including overloads every term, working 40+ hours a week, and an hour commute daily. But I learned how to make the most of my time and multitask, and from there, I went on to: 3.56 GPA at American University in interdisciplinary medieval studies, 2000. 4.0 MA in Medieval Literature, Longwood University, 2009. GRE: 480 Q, 640 V, 6 AWA. State certified to teach, with 10 years of experience since 1997 teaching everything from 8th grade through undergraduates, in French, Spanish, Literature, and AP Art History, and a number of my high school students have gone on to score a 5 on the AP exam in French language, French literature, English AND Art History after taking my classes - which I have designed,written the curriculum for and implemented for scratch for the past eight years. I also have presented at 6 different conferences, all in my field of study. One of my conference papers (2006) was subsequently published in the double-refereed conference journal. I also have several articles in subject-specific encyclopedias both in my area of specialization and in both of my secondary areas of study (2007-present).

Here is the reason for which I was rejected from one of my top choices, verbatim:

"Nothing you have done - neither your teaching record, your GRE, your Graduate degree, your publications and conferences, nor any other aspect of your application, is sufficient to compensate for your undergraduate GPA."

Yeeeeeeah, I'm not gonna lie to you, that kind of hurt.....actually, my Ego coded, and I needed a transplant...

So, you should all feel better about your rejections at this point. :P

I would say mine was probably from UCSF.

I recieved a generic rejection email, telling me the usual "We've had a lot of well qualified applicants this year..."

About one week later, they send me a second email saying that my decision is available on the website. Knowing that I was denied, I didn't get my hopes up.

I logged in to find the word "DENIED" in large red letters. I wasn't expecting anything, but geez, not much tact there =P

Here is the reason for which I was rejected from one of my top choices, verbatim:

"Nothing you have done - neither your teaching record, your GRE, your Graduate degree, your publications and conferences, nor any other aspect of your application, is sufficient to compensate for your undergraduate GPA."

That is fucking insane. Your real work can't make up for your UG career from over 10 years ago????

What do these people want??

Here's mine. I will not reveal the institution or individual who sent it, but it should certainly make you all feel better:

I applied with a 1997 BA in French at William and Mary, 2.66 GPA. Which was certainly low, but there were good reasons for that, including overloads every term, working 40+ hours a week, and an hour commute daily. But I learned how to make the most of my time and multitask, and from there, I went on to: 3.56 GPA at American University in interdisciplinary medieval studies, 2000. 4.0 MA in Medieval Literature, Longwood University, 2009. GRE: 480 Q, 640 V, 6 AWA. State certified to teach, with 10 years of experience since 1997 teaching everything from 8th grade through undergraduates, in French, Spanish, Literature, and AP Art History, and a number of my high school students have gone on to score a 5 on the AP exam in French language, French literature, English AND Art History after taking my classes - which I have designed,written the curriculum for and implemented for scratch for the past eight years. I also have presented at 6 different conferences, all in my field of study. One of my conference papers (2006) was subsequently published in the double-refereed conference journal. I also have several articles in subject-specific encyclopedias both in my area of specialization and in both of my secondary areas of study (2007-present).

Yeeeeeeah, I'm not gonna lie to you, that kind of hurt.....actually, my Ego coded, and I needed a transplant...

Yeah that is really rough. It is like the letter writer went through all that extra effort to list out your accomplishments individually just to make you feel worse. As if your undergrad GPA defined you. Good thing not all adcomms appear to think that way!

Dear Prospective Student,

After carefully reviewing this year's applications, we regret to inform you that your application has been DENIED. This should in no way be a negative reflection on your skills and abilities as a student. Rather, we believe that you would be a poor fit in our department, as we currently do not have any professors specializing in the field of FAIL. Enclosed is an application form for the McDONALDS nearest your location, where our committee believes you will be best suited to continue your post-graduate education. Best of luck in all your future endeavors (you'll need it).

Sincerely,

Dean of Graduate Studies

:lol: Lol, just love this rejection letter. I just laughed so loud and really I needed some release from all of the tension that I feel. Thanks so much for the laugh.

Gee, in my opinion the person who wrote this apparently grew up in a perfectionist family and apparently doesn't really feel he/she has ever measured up to his family's unrealistic expectations. Therefore, to make him/her self feel better, must put other people down.

Disclosure, not a psychologist nor plan to be. :D

Edited by nycrican2

The good things is that not all institutions are so myopic. I would actually have complained to the management of the school, about how condescending the letter was.

I think the one that hurt the most was Columbia's MFA directing program. I told this story in another thread, but basically, it was the first application I sent (their deadline is ridiculously early) and the first interview notification I received. They invited me to an interview weekend with Anne Bogart who, in case you don't know, is kind of a big deal in the theatre world. I was just so excited to meet her I didn't care about all the little details like probably not receiving any funding whatsoever from notoriously stingy Columbia. I called everyone I know - my parents, friends, etc. I was SO excited that I had actually gotten my first interview/audition! Then, the next evening, I got a second e-mail:

Dear .two.snaps.up.,

We are terribly sorry to have to inform you that we used the incorrect list of applicants when sending out the Directing MFA audition invitations. Thus we are actually unable to offer you an audition for the MFA in Directing at this time.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, and greatly appreciate your understanding.

Many thanks,

I mean, talk about a slit-your-wrists moment. To add insult to injury, the e-mail says nothing about whether I've been put on a waiting list or flat out rejected and, to this day, I still have not received any other word from them. Because of that incident, I constantly second-guessed myself through the rest of the application season. I just got accepted to the New School for Drama yesterday (I might add that their interview weekend was almost identical in structure to Columbia's) and I still won't really believe it until I get the official letter in the mail.

Edited by .two.snaps.up.

HOLY. MOTHER. OF. (INSERT DEITY OF CHOICE)!!!!!!

My jaw is on the ground. I mean...I cannot believe...Oh my.

You are better than me. I have a touch'o'crazy and there is really no telling what I would have done in response to that. How is that even possible? Like, there has to be a threshold of achievement you can cross to compensate for something that old; or an expiration date?

Holy crap.

ETA: And I'm voting for Columbia. :D Everyone I have ever met from there is an ass.

Edited by coyabean

The good things is that not all institutions are so myopic. I would actually have complained to the management of the school, about how condescending the letter was.

Come to think about it, it is sometimes not the academics who have such inflated opinions of themselves and their status, but the administrators. Whatever it is, I would make sure that a letter of complaint is sent to the school.

ETA: And I'm voting for Columbia. :D Everyone I have ever met from there is an ass.

true, columbia ia crappy (they rejected me :(

Come to think about it, it is sometimes not the academics who have such inflated opinions of themselves and their status, but the administrators. Whatever it is, I would make sure that a letter of complaint is sent to the school.

what would that do? they mite just ignore it

what would that do? they mite just ignore it

True, they might just ignore it, but they might consider it important (especially with Public Relations). Also, you get an opportunity to get it off your chest.

I think my worst rejection was the first one I got from what I considered to be my safety school. I interviewed at the school, but it was the last of three schools (the first two were my two top choices) I was interviewing at over the course of 6 days. Needless to say I was tired, exhausted, and somewhat out of it. The interview was very strange as they just didn't seem to care about making a good impression and just tossed me around to whoever might be free at the time. Well a day and a half after I left them, I received an email saying that they unfortunately were not able to offer me admission due to funding restraints--fair enough and I responded with a very nice email thanking them for the consideration anyway. But it really freaked me out because I thought if I couldn't get into that school, what sort of chance did I have at the other two, more prestigious, schools.

Well, I got into both of the other schools and am happy to say that I accepted the offer to my first choice with a fellowship...so take that! Also, I just came back from a conference, and during the session that I was giving a talk at, my POI from the rejection school came up and said "Oh hey, I didn't know you would be here. I am actually only here for my student then I will leave during your talk...sorry." Not sure why she felt the need to share, but then I looked out and saw the professors from my other schools sitting there ready to listen to me and I knew all was just fine.

No matter what, I will continue to smother them with kindness and make it awkward biggrin.gif

I think my worst rejection was the first one I got from what I considered to be my safety school. I interviewed at the school, but it was the last of three schools (the first two were my two top choices) I was interviewing at over the course of 6 days. Needless to say I was tired, exhausted, and somewhat out of it. The interview was very strange as they just didn't seem to care about making a good impression and just tossed me around to whoever might be free at the time. Well a day and a half after I left them, I received an email saying that they unfortunately were not able to offer me admission due to funding restraints--fair enough and I responded with a very nice email thanking them for the consideration anyway. But it really freaked me out because I thought if I couldn't get into that school, what sort of chance did I have at the other two, more prestigious, schools.

Well, I got into both of the other schools and am happy to say that I accepted the offer to my first choice with a fellowship...so take that! Also, I just came back from a conference, and during the session that I was giving a talk at, my POI from the rejection school came up and said "Oh hey, I didn't know you would be here. I am actually only here for my student then I will leave during your talk...sorry." Not sure why she felt the need to share, but then I looked out and saw the professors from my other schools sitting there ready to listen to me and I knew all was just fine.

No matter what, I will continue to smother them with kindness and make it awkward biggrin.gif

Wow - your POI sounds like kind of a jerk. Why would she feel the need to say anything at all to you, if it was just to point out that she was not going to stick around to hear your paper? That was pretty self-important of her - what makes her think you WANTED her to stick around to hear your paper?I think you are better off not trying to work with her. :angry:

And two snaps - ouch, I'm soooo sorry that happened to you! What an awful ordeal.:(

In my case - meh, it happened. I'm not going to send a nasty letter to respond to what she probably thought was a nice, personal rejection. But I am going to a.) retake the GRE and take the GRE subject test and do the best I can to get better than great scores before applying again next season and b.) make sure I read everything she writes from now on veeeeeeery carefully for slip ups or errors in facts or syntax....! ;)

I think the worst was the email I got from UMASS-Amherst. They tried to be nice about it, which just made it worse. Just be honest : You are a ruh-tard and we are not admitting you mmmmmkay?

In all serious though I got rejected from UMASS and UNC off the bat and then got into Rutgers and UCONN so I feel okay :) I am still waiting on 3 schools.

I think everyone here could use a laugh:

My jaw is on the ground. I mean...I cannot believe...Oh my.

You are better than me. I have a touch'o'crazy and there is really no telling what I would have done in response to that. How is that even possible? Like, there has to be a threshold of achievement you can cross to compensate for something that old; or an expiration date?

Holy crap.

WOW. I. AM. SPEECHLESS.

One school rejected me saying that it did not have much funding for international students. Considering I came with my own funding, I wondered whether my rejection letter was a copy and paste affair.

Ezypeezy, I've realized that most schools use shoddy cut-and-paste replies to applicants. When I look at the UCLA Anderson rejection letter, I realized that quite a few of us got the exact same letter (word-for-word). I guess they must think that we would not realize, or that they do not care since we are not going to be in their school. Strange how things that go around come around, so I wonder what they will think if we end up their colleagues one day.

That said, I wonder if acceptance letters are also cut-and-paste?

That said, I wonder if acceptance letters are also cut-and-paste?

Most likely. Who, exactly, would write a customized letter to every applicant? That's a bit much to expect isn't it? I'm sure that they'll respond to you personally if you need follow-up.

Maybe for Ph.D. they should write unique and tailored letters. For anything with >50 applicants, forget it!

Most likely. Who, exactly, would write a customized letter to every applicant? That's a bit much to expect isn't it? I'm sure that they'll respond to you personally if you need follow-up.

Maybe for Ph.D. they should write unique and tailored letters. For anything with >50 applicants, forget it!

Considering that each school takes in less than 50 students each year for their PhD programmes (less if you go down to specialization), I would think that it is doable to write individual letters to those getting admitted. May be I am just expecting too much?

Among other grad schools, I did a "safety" application to the school I had received my undergrad. My mentor and former professor was even a rec (he taught undergrad and grad.) Oh, and not only was he a professor who taught me AND a faculty member at the same school I was applying to AND a solid recommendation, he was on the selection committee for grad school. After getting the rejection letter, I approached him and he said, "You're work is great but we tend to seek out students who didn't just graduate from this school." Days later, several peers in my undergrad program approached me excitedly to say that they had been accepted to the grad school...