Vancouver, BC

2008apply

I'll probably be heading out there in July/August to look for somewhere to live (I'm just a quick plane ride away), and if I don't find somewhere I have family that I'll be staying with while I find a place! Best of luck to you too though!

Okay. Yes, Off-campus seems the better choice. Well all the best with the appartment hunting , hope to see you there :) also, let me know if you are interested in having a roomate , even if temporary (~2weeks) while looking for a suitable place to board.

I didn't know about this! Funny enough, I just saw an ad that specified Chinese students only, haha. I'll keep in mind not to explicitly state that I won't live with a male (which isn't even the case, I'd just prefer another female).

I just want to let you know that because of anti-discrimination laws in BC (I don't know about the rest of Canada), if you post a "roommate wanted" ad on something like a school newspaper or bulletin board, it usually comes with a disclaimer that "All references to a single gender in this ad should be read as either gender". This is to protect the publication from being penalized for discrimination. Ads (for jobs or housing) cannot discriminate against gender (or about a dozen other things) in BC. "Vegetarian" isn't though :)! Some places might even edit your ad to remove the references to "girls only" but most will leave your text intact and just publish a disclaimer above it.

I understand that some people might prefer to live with a certain gender and most other people will respect that. But I'm just letting you know to avoid a potential culture shock / misunderstanding if you post an ad and see that the text has changed or see that disclaimer, or if you get responses from male students! You still have the right to choose who you want to live with, of course, but it would probably be a good idea to not say something like "You're a male so I don't want to live with you" -- you should just politely decline them. I don't think you even need to give a reason -- but if you do, make sure you're not saying it is because of their gender or any of the other protected discrimination statuses by law! For example, you can't say "Girls Only", nor "Heterosexuals only", nor "No Chinese applicants". Good luck :)

Hello!

I have just been accepted to study at SFU and I couldn't be more excited about moving to Vancouver!

I should have at least $20,000 to live on throughout the year after I've paid for tuition and various fees—possibly $25,000 if a summer TAship comes through. Will that be enough? Does anyone have any recommendations for a good area to live in?

I'm looking for somewhere pretty much equal distance between downtown and the Burnaby campus (I can bear anything up to a 40-minute commute to school) and am very happy to live with housemates. Ideally I'm looking for an area with a couple of decent (decent is flexible) bars, a few reasonably priced grocery stores and a relatively large student population.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance!

Congratulations! All I can say from my experience with rental websites is that rent for places nearer to Vancouver downtown is above 1000$/month as compared to  Burnaby Apartments that are available for as less as 600$/month.

Hey all,

I've got a tangental weather question about Vancouver. Having lived on the other coast for the past few years, I've only ever encountered one downpour bad enough to go through my (allegedly) waterproof backpack and almost everyone's raingear, if it wasn't rubber. I know it rains a lot in Vancouver, but is it more raining-forever-steadily or like the downpours as I described? Trying to figure out if I need to upgrade my raingear at all in anticipation of the extra mm Vancouver gets.

And a question I don't expect to be answered, but can't hurt: if anyone gets migraines, do you find them especially bad re: weather? Or is it okay in Vancouver? (the weather on the east coast fluctuates so much that the forecast might as well say "we don't know").

Hey all,

I've got a tangental weather question about Vancouver. Having lived on the other coast for the past few years, I've only ever encountered one downpour bad enough to go through my (allegedly) waterproof backpack and almost everyone's raingear, if it wasn't rubber. I know it rains a lot in Vancouver, but is it more raining-forever-steadily or like the downpours as I described? Trying to figure out if I need to upgrade my raingear at all in anticipation of the extra mm Vancouver gets.

I grew up in Vancouver so when we moved to the other "coast" (only as far as Ontario, but everything east of Manitoba is "east coast" to us BC'ers lol), one huge difference we saw was the downpours that Kingston, Ontario received. We weren't prepared for it -- it was clear and sunny, then suddenly it felt like someone was dumping a bucket of water on us, then back to sun 20 minutes later!

In Vancouver, this is pretty rare. The rain is usually steady and not very intense. The downside is that this means the sky is pretty almost always grey during the fall, winter, and most of spring. The upside is that the temperature is very mild -- there's no large fluctuations between summer and winter so you don't necessarily need to have vastly different wardrobes for each season (unless you want to :) ).

For raingear, a good pair of rainboots is probably a good idea (for puddles / uneven paving causing rivers to flow on sidewalks). I also carried an extra pair of socks in my backpack because having wet socks can really ruin a day! Most of us in Vancouver don't carry an umbrella, but our jackets or sweaters have hoods. The rain is usually light enough that it was a small nuisance as we walked between buildings. Waiting for a bus to come can get you / your stuff wet, so if your backpack has something over the zipper to keep the water out, then it would keep your computer/books/notes dry!

I grew up in Vancouver so when we moved to the other "coast" (only as far as Ontario, but everything east of Manitoba is "east coast" to us BC'ers lol), one huge difference we saw was the downpours that Kingston, Ontario received. We weren't prepared for it -- it was clear and sunny, then suddenly it felt like someone was dumping a bucket of water on us, then back to sun 20 minutes later!

Haha yeah! I grew up in Ontario, and Ontario loves to mess with you that way.  I'm currently in Halifax, where it can turn from sunny to rainy to stormy to sunny over the course of the day -- though sometimes it just rains (torrential downpour and all) for days on end. Here everyone calls everything "out west" -- very non-specific :)

In Vancouver, this is pretty rare. The rain is usually steady and not very intense. The downside is that this means the sky is pretty almost always grey during the fall, winter, and most of spring. The upside is that the temperature is very mild -- there's no large fluctuations between summer and winter so you don't necessarily need to have vastly different wardrobes for each season (unless you want to :) ).

That sounds beautiful and wonderful! Fluctuations in weather make life interesting, but they also cause migraines... So I can definitely deal with rain all the time. And mild weather! I'm pretty used to grey sky anyways -- Halifax likes it grey from about October(ish) until June...

For raingear, a good pair of rainboots is probably a good idea (for puddles / uneven paving causing rivers to flow on sidewalks). I also carried an extra pair of socks in my backpack because having wet socks can really ruin a day! Most of us in Vancouver don't carry an umbrella, but our jackets or sweaters have hoods. The rain is usually light enough that it was a small nuisance as we walked between buildings. Waiting for a bus to come can get you / your stuff wet, so if your backpack has something over the zipper to keep the water out, then it would keep your computer/books/notes dry!

Brilliant, thanks for this! We do the same, for the most part, in Halifax, though I've definitely been caught unawares a few times by the occasional downpour (that's mostly because the wind here is bad enough that most umbrellas are broken within a few weeks, though). I love the idea of carrying an extra pair of socks--can't believe I haven't tried that 'til now. Thanks so much :)

Edited by quilledink

• 5 weeks later...

Regarding umbrellas in Vancouver I will have to respectfully disagree with TakeruK. Everyone I know gets a lot of mileage out of their umbrella. I would say that the rain in Vancouver, though not as inclement as, say the "East coast" can get to downright torrential levels at times. 

Regarding migraines, my mom gets them and she has lived in Vancouver as well as several locations in the interior of BC and she said there was no difference in the number she got in Vancouver vs. elsewhere, however, I suppose it all depends on what triggers your migraines, so perhaps for her weather just isn't a factor.

• 3 months later...

Following the official acceptance offer I have received from UBC, I am gradually leaning towards going there. Plus, Vancouver is said to be a pretty scenic place and UBC is a pretty good university too.

I'm French, born of Indian parents (have grown up and done all my education in France, I'm currently working here too), I want to further my career towards research as that's what really drives my professional goal and UBC has a pretty strong program in my field of research, hence my applying there. For those of you fortunate enough to have lived there, I just want to have your impressions on the weather : I personally like places where the temperatures are fairly stable throughout the year. I'm hoping Vancouver is good in that respect.

Following the official acceptance offer I have received from UBC, I am gradually leaning towards going there. Plus, Vancouver is said to be a pretty scenic place and UBC is a pretty good university too.

I'm French, born of Indian parents (have grown up and done all my education in France, I'm currently working here too), I want to further my career towards research as that's what really drives my professional goal and UBC has a pretty strong program in my field of research, hence my applying there. For those of you fortunate enough to have lived there, I just want to have your impressions on the weather : I personally like places where the temperatures are fairly stable throughout the year. I'm hoping Vancouver is good in that respect.

Yep, Vancouver is basically very similar weather throughout the whole year. There may be a couple of weeks that are really hot in the summer or a couple of really cold weeks in the winter, but it's nothing like the extreme differences on the east coast, for example. People who like variety/weather are usually disappointed with Vancouver's weather -- especially since the summer doesn't usually get warm enough for traditional summery activities such as beaches (other than maybe the one or two weekends that are very warm). It also often rains in the summer, as well as the other "seasons". But on the plus side, you never really get that cold! So, it sounds like Vancouver weather will have what you're looking for! 

Yep, Vancouver is basically very similar weather throughout the whole year. There may be a couple of weeks that are really hot in the summer or a couple of really cold weeks in the winter, but it's nothing like the extreme differences on the east coast, for example. People who like variety/weather are usually disappointed with Vancouver's weather -- especially since the summer doesn't usually get warm enough for traditional summery activities such as beaches (other than maybe the one or two weekends that are very warm). It also often rains in the summer, as well as the other "seasons". But on the plus side, you never really get that cold! So, it sounds like Vancouver weather will have what you're looking for! 

Hello TakeruK,

Thanks for the answer. Yes it's what I have read on this forum in other places as well. I personally look for weather that is stable as I'm very sensitive to sudden changes in temperatures (which give me stupid symptoms like running nose and the like). I don't mind a few cold/hot weeks in the year, that much is to be expected but as long as the changes are gradual, that's what I would like.

I personally don't mind the rain much, as long as it's not torrential downpour, but given the ocean is just in front, it should not be the case. Really, there aren't a lot of reasons for me to turn down UBC or Vancouver lol.

-- especially since the summer doesn't usually get warm enough for traditional summery activities such as beaches (other than maybe the one or two weekends that are very warm)

you do have to admit, thought, that this one summer has been particularly warm and relatively good for beach-related activities!!! 

you do have to admit, thought, that this one summer has been particularly warm and relatively good for beach-related activities!!! 

I actually have not lived in Vancouver for the past 3 years now (but I did live there for about 20 years before moving away for grad school!). I did hear my family talk about all the warm weather and when I visited for ~10 days in June, it only rained on the last day!!

• 4 weeks later...

I lived there for two years. I did not find the rain to be too bad. Rarely torrential, rarely thunderstorming (2 or 3 times in the whole time). Autumn is rainy, and spring goes back and forth a bit, but summers are incredible without being scorching, and winters are mild.  

• 4 months later...

The precipitation in Vancouver is pretty seasonal -- winter is wet, spring and fall are mixed, and summers are about the driest and sunniest you'll find anywhere in Canada, except maybe Victoria. There are a lot of weather myths about Vancouver, in my experience.

The biggest element of the climate is greyness. It's grey almost all the time in the winter and early spring. But summer is the opposite - very ideal weather, especially in July and August.

Edited by djp2

The biggest element of the climate is greyness. It's grey almost all the time in the winter and early spring. But summer is the opposite - very ideal weather, especially in July and August.

I think this is really true. When I grew up in Vancouver, I would often feel "cheated" if we had an unusually rainy summer, because those precious few weeks in July/August of perfect weather were exactly that--very precious! I think that would be my most major complaint about the weather in Vancouver--you feel like you have to take advantage of every nice day because there aren't that many of them. Sometimes it would even be stressful because you might not feel like a beach day but due to the combination of busy schedules and rare nice weather, there may only be a few weekends per year where it's warm enough to swim in the ocean!

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone! I know the money question has been asked a few times, but since my offer from UBC is for a little less than what I've seen, I want to see what your opinions are for my situation.

Basically I've been offered what will come out to a little less than 17K a year once tuition is deducted. I don't mind having a roommate or living frugally, but I would like the commute to be within a half hour or so from UBC's campus, whether it's biking, by bus, anything's okay. (I also don't have pets, and am not super picky about living conditions.) Could I feasibly live on this? I'd prefer to avoid taking out loans--I have a couple other funded offers in cheaper cities, but the program's a good fit and Vancouver is so beautiful.

Hi everyone! I know the money question has been asked a few times, but since my offer from UBC is for a little less than what I've seen, I want to see what your opinions are for my situation.

Basically I've been offered what will come out to a little less than 17K a year once tuition is deducted. I don't mind having a roommate or living frugally, but I would like the commute to be within a half hour or so from UBC's campus, whether it's biking, by bus, anything's okay. (I also don't have pets, and am not super picky about living conditions.) Could I feasibly live on this? I'd prefer to avoid taking out loans--I have a couple other funded offers in cheaper cities, but the program's a good fit and Vancouver is so beautiful.

I managed to live on $17,500 during the second year of my MA at UBC. I had roommates and I had to be frugal, but it wasn't too bad. I assume you'll be working or applying for additional research grants for the summer months? 17k will be just enough for Sept. through April from my experience.

djp2, thanks! I got my official letter and after tuition and other expenses, yeah, I'll be around $17,300. And I do plan on tutoring on the side to supplement my income during the school year/finding some other work in the summer. Do you mind if I ask how long your commute was, and whereabouts you found housing that worked for that pricepoint? I had someone tell me that I should be comfortable commuting in from about 45 minutes away (suggested looking more on the east side), and while that's not a total deal killer for me, I'm imagining making that commute after late nights working on my thesis and not really looking forward to it.

He suggested trying for somewhere near Broadway so I can hit up the 99, and while I can see what he means on a map, any extra tips on good areas to search (like if, for example, you lived in an area near cheap food, that kind of thing) would be awesome.

djp2, thanks! I got my official letter and after tuition and other expenses, yeah, I'll be around $17,300. And I do plan on tutoring on the side to supplement my income during the school year/finding some other work in the summer. Do you mind if I ask how long your commute was, and whereabouts you found housing that worked for that pricepoint? I had someone tell me that I should be comfortable commuting in from about 45 minutes away (suggested looking more on the east side), and while that's not a total deal killer for me, I'm imagining making that commute after late nights working on my thesis and not really looking forward to it.

He suggested trying for somewhere near Broadway so I can hit up the 99, and while I can see what he means on a map, any extra tips on good areas to search (like if, for example, you lived in an area near cheap food, that kind of thing) would be awesome.

Vancouver has excellent transit, so you can be pretty flexible when choosing a place to live. The cheapest apartments will be further out (New Westminster, Burnaby, Commercial Drive) but if you do choose to live out there, be sure to find a place near a Skytrain station. This will make all the difference. 

I lived downtown (in the West End) with two roommates during my first year and paid $725, but it was a cramped living situation. If I was doing it all again, I'd probably find an apartment somewhere along the Canada Line (which goes down Cambie Street). From Cambie, there are express buses that run to UBC along Broadway (9th Ave), 25th Ave, 41st Ave, 49th Ave, and (I believe) 70th Ave/Marine Drive. So almost anywhere along Cambie is convenient to UBC, but it's also very easy to get downtown from there. For me, it was the best of both worlds. 

Apologies if this has been asked before, but what are the best places to look for apartments in Vancouver? Craigslist and Kijiji for the most part?

And would there be enough listings in July to make it worth flying out then, hoping to sign a contract for August or September?

I really want somewhere with my own bathroom, and with a kitchen that actually has an oven, and the online listings are just depressing in that regard...

Apologies if this has been asked before, but what are the best places to look for apartments in Vancouver? Craigslist and Kijiji for the most part?

And would there be enough listings in July to make it worth flying out then, hoping to sign a contract for August or September?

I really want somewhere with my own bathroom, and with a kitchen that actually has an oven, and the online listings are just depressing in that regard...

I have been living in Vancouver for several years, so depending on which university you are attending it differs. I assume you are for UBC, am I right? the best list is craigslist for here but you will find it useful if you would look into the online forum comes with your admission package. There are new students looking for roommates or rental ads or so in the online forum....Unfortunately the rents close to UBC are really expensive but Vancouver offers an excellent translink system that you can find an affordable flat in approximately 30min by bus from UBC. Besides this you may also look into UBC residence halls, if you decide to rent one of the residences on campus, you need to apply as soon as possible; they have a long waiting-list.  

Hi I am a Uk student I will be starting the MA in English Literature in September. I was wondering if someone could tell me a bit more about Green College http://www.greencollege.ubc.ca/ to live in for my first year. I think it looks great, but any info/anecdotes would be very appreciated! The food plan isn't on the cheap side and I was wondering what living on campus would be like.