Fall 2011

goldielocks

[Removed at Poster's Request]

Since I've been lurking on this board, I've noticed that this admissions season has been a little depressing. Congratulations to all who received offers! However, for the rest of us, or for those just getting started... why not get a conversation going for next season? After all, I'm sure I'm not the only one planning to use the next several months to prepare my applications!

Who else is doing the same thing as me? What are you planning to do this spring/summer to strengthen your applications?

I can't say I have been rejected, but I will also apply for the fall 2011 PhD cycle.

I applied to three masters in the UK and got accepted to two and are still waiting for the third program, which is where I really want to go.

Since I did my undergrad at a Dutch liberal arts college I have only three years of undergrad behind me, and thus not that many history courses. But the master should fix that.

I have a few American programs in mind for the PhD, besides a few in the UK and NL. I think the master should boost my changes, if I had applied to a US grad school I would have had a hard time getting in. I will also do a research internship this summer at the Dutch Army's military history institute, so that will give me something for on my CV.

From what I saw American schools are more into extra-curriculars, diversity, etc. so I will need some things. British schools only consider things that are of direct academic relevance to the program so that might work in my advantage.

slighty off-topic... but willemvanoranje, which UC did you attend? I'm in my last semester of RA :)

I should probably apply for a PhD for fall 2011, since I'm going to get a 1-year MA. But seriously, I'm so exhausted I cannot handle another cycle yet... I started preparing over the summer, doing research and working on writing samples. Internships or summer school might be helpful, but I just work and travel during the summer so I used that as a strong point. "I love to travel and learn about other cultures" and gave some examples about how traveling has shaped my interest in and knowledge of history.

Good luck anyway, you can never start too early!

@ willemvanoranje: I am into American history. No way I'm going to do a masters in NL. I got into Brandeis! And still waiting for NYU...

but we're stealing goldilocks' topic so if you want to know/talk more just shoot me a message :)

• 3 weeks later...

I am also applying to PhD programs for entry in Fall 2011. I'm applying to some UK universities as well as US but my first choice is UK. Having said that, I'll have to start gearing up for the GRE for my US applications. I took it many years ago and my score was crap so I've been "studying" for it a couple of hours each week. That means just reviewing vocabulary. I know I'll have to get into it a bit more than that!

I think I'll start working on my SoP in the next month so I will have plenty of time to edit before deadlines in January. Of course I need to tailor each one but I have no real idea how to start. I do have a few prospectuses from some UK universities that offer advice on what they're looking for in a Statement of Purpose.

In the Fall I plan to visit some of my target universities in the UK and meet my possible advisors. Hoping to get more direction from them on what to include in my SoP.

Honestly I feel overwhelmed about my applications because I'm in the middle of writing my Master's thesis too. How do people keep everything organized? I have tried several systems and still end up with piles of paper/articles/books all over the place.

Anyway I could also use some help on how to strengthen my application. I'm assuming I can use my museum volunteering experience and teaching internships among other things, but I'm still searching for that thing that will make my application stand out!

I am also applying to PhD programs for entry in Fall 2011. I'm applying to some UK universities as well as US but my first choice is UK. Having said that, I'll have to start gearing up for the GRE for my US applications. I took it many years ago and my score was crap so I've been "studying" for it a couple of hours each week. That means just reviewing vocabulary. I know I'll have to get into it a bit more than that!

I think I'll start working on my SoP in the next month so I will have plenty of time to edit before deadlines in January. Of course I need to tailor each one but I have no real idea how to start. I do have a few prospectuses from some UK universities that offer advice on what they're looking for in a Statement of Purpose.

In the Fall I plan to visit some of my target universities in the UK and meet my possible advisors. Hoping to get more direction from them on what to include in my SoP.

Honestly I feel overwhelmed about my applications because I'm in the middle of writing my Master's thesis too. How do people keep everything organized? I have tried several systems and still end up with piles of paper/articles/books all over the place.

Anyway I could also use some help on how to strengthen my application. I'm assuming I can use my museum volunteering experience and teaching internships among other things, but I'm still searching for that thing that will make my application stand out!

In terms of organization, what I did was have two spreadsheets. The first one was when I was finding potential schools. Thus, I put the program's rank, average number of years to degree, typical funding, potential advisors, and any contact I made with the program in this sheet. Part of what helped me was that subjective aspect, because as I contacted potential advisors, I noted if they seemed positive, negative, or lukewarm, and if I talked to any staff, I noticed the attitude. Seems kind of nitpicky, but in case you have to make some choices later on, your impressions can be valuable when you no longer can remember your own name!

Another good thing to add to that spreadsheet, if it matters to you, would be the cost of living in each school or any other living condition requirements you might have.

When you are ready to apply, make a second spreadsheet that lists things like due dates, GRE codes, statement of purpose requirements, writing sample requirements, additional documents needed, letters of recommendation, you get the idea. Then, if you are starting on SOPs, you can look at that row or column and know what you need to do for each school.

<br />In terms of organization, what I did was have two spreadsheets.  The first one was when I was finding potential schools.  Thus, I put the program's rank, average number of years to degree, typical funding, potential advisors, and any contact I made with the program in this sheet. Part of what helped me was that subjective aspect, because as I contacted potential advisors, I noted if they seemed positive, negative, or lukewarm, and if I talked to any staff, I noticed the attitude.  Seems kind of nitpicky, but in case you have to make some choices later on, your impressions can be valuable when you no longer can remember your own name!  <br /><br />Another good thing to add to that spreadsheet, if it matters to you, would be the cost of living in each school or any other living condition requirements you might have.<br /><br />When you are ready to apply, make a second spreadsheet that lists things like due dates, GRE codes, statement of purpose requirements, writing sample requirements, additional documents needed, letters of recommendation, you get the idea.  Then, if you are starting on SOPs, you can look at that row or column and know what you need to do for each school.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

You're all organized and stuff...

If you have any profs who are not in your area and not your reccomenders but are close to, you should see if they know anyone at the schools you are applying to. Then they can send informal letters telling them to pay close attention to your app. My advisor at the school I am starting at specifically mentioned the informal e-mail campaign in addition to the normal letters.

In terms of organization, what I did was have two spreadsheets. The first one was when I was finding potential schools. Thus, I put the program's rank, average number of years to degree, typical funding, potential advisors, and any contact I made with the program in this sheet. Part of what helped me was that subjective aspect, because as I contacted potential advisors, I noted if they seemed positive, negative, or lukewarm, and if I talked to any staff, I noticed the attitude. Seems kind of nitpicky, but in case you have to make some choices later on, your impressions can be valuable when you no longer can remember your own name!

Another good thing to add to that spreadsheet, if it matters to you, would be the cost of living in each school or any other living condition requirements you might have.

When you are ready to apply, make a second spreadsheet that lists things like due dates, GRE codes, statement of purpose requirements, writing sample requirements, additional documents needed, letters of recommendation, you get the idea. Then, if you are starting on SOPs, you can look at that row or column and know what you need to do for each school.

I totally agree with the whole spreadsheet idea - I also made one for my apps - it helps so much to have rows of schools and columns tracking the components for each app since they are all so different. I also made one with the statuses of application materials to keep track of all that as well - helps when you are applying to 11 schools! Good luck!

Brilliant idea regarding the spreadsheets! I never thought of that and it makes sense to keep everything accessible in one place. I knew it was going to be difficult to keep all the information straight, especially reactions from potential advisors, admin, etc. This is embarrassing but I've been trying to keep all the info in a journaling book. How archaic of me!

Also that was another great idea to ask profs about support by email. I usually ask my current advisor if she knows someone at this or that university but haven't been asking other profs for their assistance. There seems to be a wealth of support at my disposal and I never even knew it!

Thanks so much for the advice-it has opened up my world.

From what I saw American schools are more into extra-curriculars, diversity, etc. so I will need some things. British schools only consider things that are of direct academic relevance to the program so that might work in my advantage.

Someone else might disagree but I don't think that many North American graduate programs give a shit about non-academic extra-curricular activities.

I have a running Word document (not as organized as a spreadsheet, but it's only for narrowing down places I may apply to) where I enter in useful information about programs that sound interesting. Whenever I have a look around a department website, I note down who the relevant faculty members are and what their listed interests are and keep it all organized by university in the Word document. Looking up relevant faculty is a major pain in the ass, so you'll save yourself a lot of stress by casually looking up programs when you're bored instead of planning to do all the research during the summer and autumn. It may also be useful to keep a running list of places that do NOT have faculty relevant to your interests, so you don't get confused and check the same places over and over again.

Someone else might disagree but I don't think that many North American graduate programs give a shit about non-academic extra-curricular activities.

no, you're right. north american grad schools do not care AT ALL about extra curriculars. there's not even a space to list 'em in the applications and they don't belong on an academic CV.

• 2 months later...

Ah! I forgot about this thread! I decided at the last minute to take an offer for an MA at a very small university. So I guess that's what I'll be doing to prepare for applying for a PhD. ;)

Congrats! An MA should help you in next year's cycle. Is this a History program or area studies or something else?

Thanks! It's an MA in History. I'm happy with the decision.

However, for the rest of us, or for those just getting started... why not get a conversation going for next season? After all, I'm sure I'm not the only one planning to use the next several months to prepare my applications!

I had a wild ride in 2008-9 for history and medieval studies programs. MAs, MPhils, PhDs - anything I could throw an application at, I did! After nothing but rejections I was very lucky to get picked up for an MA at my last school, and now I see a dozen things concerning my application that need serious improvement. For example, I had no idea what the PS/SoI was meant to do, or why it should be different for each school. And I thought that as long as GRE scores were above average that they didn't really matter. (Wrong! I think they explain the number of very early rejections I received.)

So, this time around I'm doing everything I can. I'm staying local for personal reasons so I'm able to visit each school and meet potential advisers before I even write the apps. I'm retaking the GRE and NOT underestimating the verbal section! I've presented at a conference and I'm using a grad seminar paper as the writing sample. And now I know both the general jargon, and how best to describe myself to each individual school, for the PS/SoI. Here's hoping for another successful season!

• 2 weeks later...

I will finally receive my BA in May after 14 years of on/off study, and hoping to get into one of my MA programs in the fall. I'm retaking the GRE on Friday (what am I doing on here??) after my first attempt resulted in a totally disappointing 1190 (620V, 570Q, still don't have the AW score). Didn't study for it, just took it to get the jitters out of the way, but still...thought I absorbed more than that during undergrad.

I'm looking over the app requirements for my three schools, and see nothing regarding CV's. I would like to include it, as I have conference presentations, departmental honors, directed research, fieldwork, and activities in several honor societies. Is it OK to send it anyway, even if it's not required? I do have some transcript issues and I think I need to do whatever it takes to overcome these. I don't want to get into it, but a personal catastrophe caused me to flunk an entire semester. I've worked hard, and now I have a 3.78 overall/4.0 major GPA. I've obviously recovered nicely, but along the way I had several W's as I have struggled with PTSD and having bipolar disorder. I was only diagnosed within the last 18 months, and just now am getting it under control. I know W's are bad, and having a mental health disorder is bad, and I am unsure of how to address any of this in my SOP without it coming off as a pity party, so I thought that my CV could do some talking. :) BTW, if anyone is in my boat regarding mental health issues, I would love to hear from you, especially if you got into a program already.

Does anybody know how selective Mizzou is, and what their funding might be like?

Thanks for reading my ramble. :)

You'll want to spend some time in your SOP discussing your complicated academic history. By some time, however, I'm talking about a few sentences. Certainly don't dwell on it or make it the focus of your SOP, as that should be reserved for your research interests and how you hope to contribute to your sub-field. Fortunately, getting into grad school is a group effort. More so than your CV, those writing letters of recommendation for you are in a great position to speak for you about the reasons why it took you so long to get your BA and why those reasons don't figure in terms of how you'll be a great graduate student. When asking them to write letters for you, you should feel comfortable telling them that this is a concern of yours and that hopefully their letters will speak for you in that regard.

Generally speaking, though not from personal experience, I've found academia to be pretty responsive to and accommodating of mental health issues as long you are "a great student who studies and researches this and that and also happens to have a mental illness" rather than being "that student with a mental health issue that's trying to study and research this and that."

But yeah, send your CV anyway.

Edited by ChibaCityBlues

With most applications you can attach an electronic copy of your CV into the online application system. I noticed you're also applying to UNC, and they use a paper application process, so you can just mail your CV with that packet.

You'll want to spend some time in your SOP discussing your complicated academic history. By some time, however, I'm talking about a few sentences. Certainly don't dwell on it or make it the focus of your SOP, as that should be reserved for your research interests and how you hope to contribute to your sub-field. Fortunately, getting into grad school is a group effort. More so than your CV, those writing letters of recommendation for you are in a great position to speak for you about the reasons why it took you so long to get your BA and why those reasons don't figure in terms of how you'll be a great graduate student. When asking them to write letters for you, you should feel comfortable telling them that this is a concern of yours and that hopefully their letters will speak for you in that regard.

Generally speaking, though not from personal experience, I've found academia to be pretty responsive to and accommodating of mental health issues as long you are "a great student who studies and researches this and that and also happens to have a mental illness" rather than being "that student with a mental health issue that's trying to study and research this and that."

But yeah, send your CV anyway.

Thanks, ChibaCityBlues, that gives me some hope. I've always thought of myself as a great student that just happens to have a couple of skeletons in the closet, so to speak. I've found my professors here don't shy away from giving me difficult tasks now that they know, so I believe they'll handle the issue tactfully in my LOR's. My intent is to not say what actually happened, but explain that even though the initial fallout was bad, I've consistently improved and show that I'm damn good at what I do. So to speak. ;)

I think I might start a whole new topic for grads and mental illness, instead of threadjacking this one...I couldn't find one through search other than anxiety over the process.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to do the rounds this fall as well. My field is early American history (mostly 18th century) and I plan on applying to Yale, UPenn, N'western, Temple, Rutgers, UVA, and a few others. I've just begun initially drafting my statement. My LORs should be impeccable and are from three well-known and highly respected scholars in my field with whom I've developed very strong relationships both in and out of class. However, the GRE is my main worrying point. I have a much better than average vocabulary but my scores on the practice tests have varied greatly from excellent to, what is for me, almost embarrassing. Anyway, best of luck to everyone else applying this season.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to do the rounds this fall as well. My field is early American history (mostly 18th century) and I plan on applying to Yale, UPenn, N'western, Temple, Rutgers, UVA, and a few others. I've just begun initially drafting my statement. My LORs should be impeccable and are from three well-known and highly respected scholars in my field with whom I've developed very strong relationships both in and out of class. However, the GRE is my main worrying point. I have a much better than average vocabulary but my scores on the practice tests have varied greatly from excellent to, what is for me, almost embarrassing. Anyway, best of luck to everyone else applying this season.

I'm going to guess economic history, if only because I just finished Stein's book.

I'm going to guess economic history, if only because I just finished Stein's book.

Is that aimed at me, ModUSGirl? My focus is on the political culture and intellectual history of the late-colonial through early republic periods. Though, my honors thesis dealt heavily with economic issues. I haven't had the opportunity to take a class with Stein, though everyone in the department speaks very highly of her.

Edited by natsteel

I totally agree with the whole spreadsheet idea - I also made one for my apps - it helps so much to have rows of schools and columns tracking the components for each app since they are all so different. I also made one with the statuses of application materials to keep track of all that as well - helps when you are applying to 11 schools! Good luck!

Sorry for the double post, but...

I am applying to a similar amount of schools and made a spreadsheet to contain information about each potential program. I had columns for the following:

School

Stipend (if known)

LoR

Cohort Size (if known)

GRE Code

Transcripts (off. or unoff.)

Statement (word length/special instructions)

Writing Sample (page length)

Application Fee

Prospective Advisor(s)

and a few more... It's been greatly helpful in keeping my search and application process more organized than it would have been otherwise.

Edited by natsteel