NDSEG 2019

urbanecologist

1 hour ago, stressedugrad said:

Got the official email today. Status listed in your box is a final decision. Here's the info from the email: 

You are receiving this email because you successfully completed an application for the 2019 class of National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellows. This year there were nearly 3,000 applications submitted which made the award process highly competitive!

You are now able to log into the application portal to view your application review status. The link is https://ndsegfellowships.smapply.org.   Using the same username and password used for your application, log in. Under the NDSEG application will be a section labeled “STATUS” with your application status listed beside it. Below is a guide of what each status means:

·      1st Round Reviews – SME Panel

o  Your application was successfully completed and was reviewed during the 1st stage of reviews conducted by Subject Matter Experts in your relevant discipline. Your application did not make the cut to move to the next review stage.

·      2nd Round Reviews – DoD Panel

o  Your application was reviewed during the 1st stage of reviews conducted by Subject Matter Experts in your relevant discipline and moved to the next stage of reviews. These reviews were conducted by Department of Defense personnel. Your application did not make the cut to be an awardee or alternate for the NDSEG fellowship.

·      Alternate Awardee List

o  Your application was reviewed during the 2nd stage of reviews conducted by Department of Defense personnel. Your application has been marked as an alternate to receive an NDSEG award.

o  Note: You will be notified via email if you are, in fact, awarded. If you do not receive an email, you have not moved from the alternates list to the awardee list. We are not able to provide any timeline or additional information regarding alternates. 

·      2019 NDSEG Awardee

o  Your application was selected to receive a 2019 NDSEG Fellowship Award. You should have received an award letter via email. 

We hope these statuses will provide the information many applicants seek. Should anything change with your status, we will reach out to you directly.

We appreciate your interest in the NDSEG Fellowship Program. Should you not receive an award this year, we hope you will consider re-applying next year, should you remain eligible.

We wish you all the best in your educational pursuits!

-The NDSEG Fellowship Team 

I never even received this email? Where did you find this? Mine says 2nd review round, etc...

I don't see why they don't send out a rejection emails to those of us in group "1st round" and "2nd round". Just for the sake of clarity so we can move on with our lives. 

Just now, md@ said:

I never even received this email? Where did you find this? Mine says 2nd review round, etc... 

I don't see why they don't send out a rejection emails to those of us in group "1st round" and "2nd round". Just for the sake of clarity so we can move on with our lives.  

Tell this to the grad schools that literally never sent me a rejection e-mail but instead waited for their university-wide system to be like "your application has been closed" in May. I had guessed by this point but people are jerks.

8 minutes ago, lambda said:

Does anyone know if we can get comments? especially if we made it to the second round?

I applied back in 2017, and was made an alternate, and never received any comments. I think that was the last year ASEE did it though, so I'm not sure if the new operators do it any differently. 

Edited by scavanaugh

2 hours ago, Tan_Tan said:

Got a response today - Status: 1st Round Reviews - SME Panel. I believe this means I didn't get past the first rounds. 

Congratulations on the others who got it!

Same here. Congrats to the winners!

18 hours ago, masterxyz said:

Does anybody know what is involved in each round of the review process? So the first SME round is subject experts validating how well the proposal is written and the second round is the DoD identifying if it is applicable to their work? What does the DoD do in their review round and what do they look for? 

I think this has some baseline procedures/scoring information here: https://ndseg.asee.org/2017_NDSEG_Guide_For_Panelists.pdf

It's from when ASEE ran it, but it seems identical to the four tiers we see, and I don't think SCI-TEC has any actual role in evaluating the applications besides coordinating everything.

Ugh, didn't get it, but I knew it was a long shot.  "Status: 1st Round Reviews - SME Panel".  Thanks to everyone on this thread for explaining how we could find out, because clearly the contractor handling the fellowship doesn't understand how it works, and I never got any sort of email notice.  Congrats to the winners!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2019 at 6:50 AM, rxn said:

Very late to join this, but congrats to all awardees! Has anyone heard of any updates sent to alternates? 

I haven't heard anything yet, either way. They said they'd let everyone know by the end of April (which I still think is a bit ambitious, but who knows). Unless I'm mistaken, NSF doesn't even send out the link to accept until the 29th, so it could still be a week or two if some NSF+NDSEG winners were waiting for the link to officially turn down NDSEG. 

But, who knows. Fingers crossed for the both of us!

14 hours ago, scavanaugh said:

I haven't heard anything yet, either way. They said they'd let everyone know by the end of April (which I still think is a bit ambitious, but who knows). Unless I'm mistaken, NSF doesn't even send out the link to accept until the 29th, so it could still be a week or two if some NSF+NDSEG winners were waiting for the link to officially turn down NDSEG. 

But, who knows. Fingers crossed for the both of us!

Thanks for letting me know and good luck to you too! I'm thinking (hoping) the same thing. I was asking because of bfc's old post which indicates the first round of NDSEG awardees had to decide by April 15:

On 3/31/2019 at 7:13 PM, bfc said:

In case any of this is useful...

I got an acceptance e-mail at 3:05pm Eastern time on March 29. I applied under ONR w/ electrical engineering as my discipline. In my online application portal, there's now a "Fellowship Acceptance Form" under "Your tasks," and the e-mail indicates that this needs to be submitted no later than April 15...so maybe they'll send out another batch after then...?

If I understand right, NSF availability to accept on only April 29 was unexpected, so maybe NDSEG pushed back their acceptance deadline making the whole process get pushed back. Of course I'm totally speculating. It's possible that some on the waitlist have been quietly getting updates one at a time and we're somewhere lower on the list. Fingers crossed for our theory though haha

• 5 months later...

Would anyone that was awarded the fellowship in 2019 be willing to share their application essays with me? I am applying this year and cannot find any sample essays with the new format online. Any examples or advice would be much appreciated :) 

• 1 month later...

For anyone who applied and won, would you kindly share for the research essay, did you include your previous research experience or ONLY your current proposal? if the latter, did you put your research experience in the 500 word statement then? Thank you kindly.