What are the benefits with co-supervision

gradschoolprobs

I'm interested in going for a PhD and had contacted an associate prof at another school if we could meet to talk and he agreed to supervise when we met without asking for a CV, transcript, etc. Then the second time we met, he emphasized that he will be the primary supervisor and that he spoke with an assistant prof and suggested that I talk to that prof to discuss co-supervision. So, I did as I was told and contacted the assistant prof to request for a meeting. Luckily I heard back....but the prof wants a transcript before we meet. Why would this prof want a transcript? What are the benefits with co-supervision?

Well a transcript would indicate what type of coursework you've taken so they have a sense of knowledge you have and still need.  Co-supervision can be great if both professors get along well and the focus is on the students goals and needs.  Co-supervision would likely be miserable if the professors had constant conflict or provided opposing directions.  It might be helpful for you to think about what it is you hope to gain from co-supervision and discuss how those needs might be met with each supervisor.  Is there anyone in your program that has done this or that can act as a neutral party for you to bounce ideas/thoughts/questions off of?

Well it would help if they clarify what they mean.  That could mean your GPA is low or it could mean they don't feel you've taken enough (or the right) foundation courses for your field.  Either could lead to them not wanting to co-supervise which isn't the end of the world since that isn't the norm.  At that point you'd go back to the initial supervisor and ask their thoughts on how you should proceed.  You could be a stellar student and still find that this professor doesn't want to co-supervise, its extra work they may not have the time or energy for.

46 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Co-supervision would likely be miserable if the professors had constant conflict or provided opposing directions.

When considering @MarineBluePsy 's guidance, please keep in mind that relationships can change over time. Professor Xavier and Professor Eisenhardt can be friends today, mortal enemies tomorrow, and looking to graduate students to choose sides.

1 hour ago, Sigaba said:

Professor Xavier and Professor Eisenhardt can be friends today, mortal enemies tomorrow, and looking to graduate students to choose sides.

I can confirm this as it has happened to me and it made everything very uncomfortable.

2 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Well it would help if they clarify what they mean.  That could mean your GPA is low or it could mean they don't feel you've taken enough (or the right) foundation courses for your field.  Either could lead to them not wanting to co-supervise which isn't the end of the world since that isn't the norm.  At that point you'd go back to the initial supervisor and ask their thoughts on how you should proceed.  You could be a stellar student and still find that this professor doesn't want to co-supervise, its extra work they may not have the time or energy for.

Thank you! Sorry, I actually haven't heard back from the assistant prof yet about my transcript. I was thinking of the worst case scenario and hope to hear back soon.

There's also the possibility that having co-supervisors will be way more work for you.  Assuming each professor is willing to help you toward your goals, that doesn't mean they won't each have different approaches to doing that.  That may mean you doing more lab work, writing, or coursework to develop the skills each thinks you need.

13 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

There's also the possibility that having co-supervisors will be way more work for you.  Assuming each professor is willing to help you toward your goals, that doesn't mean they won't each have different approaches to doing that.  That may mean you doing more lab work, writing, or coursework to develop the skills each thinks you need.

Good points! I worry about that! ?