Statement of Purpose Hook vs Straight

Velocity_Distance

Question

I am writing my statement of purpose and I have read conflicting advice on how to write it. On one hand I heard you want to stand out with a creative hook. On the other hand, I've heard you want to get straight to the point and concise as possible. I fundamentally agree with the hook approach but find it a little hokey as well. I was wondering if anyone had any advice. For context, I am applying to computer science programs.

Edited by Velocity_Distance
missing important details

5 answers to this question

I recommend against using any writing tactic that does not reflect authentically who you are, what you want to do, and why you want to do it.

Unless you have a super compelling hook that ties into why you're interested in your topic, I am anti-hook. I agree that it comes across as hokey, and I feel like your qualifications can often speak for themselves. At the same time, I'm still wrestling with how to make my personality come through without sounding silly, and a good hook could do that, so there's certainly reasons to use one as well. 

13 hours ago, Velocity_Distance said:

I am writing my statement of purpose and I have read conflicting advice on how to write it. On one hand I heard you want to stand out with a creative hook. On the other hand, I've heard you want to get straight to the point and concise as possible. I fundamentally agree with the hook approach but find it a little hokey as well. I was wondering if anyone had any advice. For context, I am applying to computer science programs.

I would think if you had a word limit and you don't have enough space to really cover all the important points you need cover then it might be prudent to forgo the hook (I did that for UNC which had a 700 word limit). that said I do think getting a short and good hook that really carries your personality across can do wonders for your application :)

If you can do a hook in 4-5 lines, I don't think that  will hinder your SOP at all. However, If you have a lot of experience that would be a better use of your word limit that a hood, I would think that would serve a better purpose.

I have gone back and forth several times and I think I am going to use a hook. It doesn't distract from my message and it transitions nicely into why I am applying to graduate school. It talks to why I am passionate about the subject with a recent relevant example. I'll let you know what my results are.