No word yet

Rat

Is anybody here still waiting to hear from schols or am I the only one? It's getting a bit late and I fear that I'm alone. I know several of you have "waiting on" in your school decisions on your signature page, but just wondering since those might be outdated.

Edited by Rat

Boston College is taking forever...I called them again yesterday and they told me they couldn't give out decisions over the phone, and that the letters should go out this week (which is what they told me last week). Grrr. It's the last school I'm waiting to hear from, and I want to accept my UVa offer but I won't until I hear from BC...

Boston College is taking forever...I called them again yesterday and they told me they couldn't give out decisions over the phone, and that the letters should go out this week (which is what they told me last week). Grrr. It's the last school I'm waiting to hear from, and I want to accept my UVa offer but I won't until I hear from BC...

I am also waiting on BC (keep dithering on withdrawing my application or just waiting), I pretty much already accepted Virginia, so much so I am about to put a security deposit down on an apartment in Charlottesville.

I am also waiting on BC (keep dithering on withdrawing my application or just waiting), I pretty much already accepted Virginia, so much so I am about to put a security deposit down on an apartment in Charlottesville.

I feel the same way about NYU. On one hand, I paid $90 and want to see the outcome. On the other hand, I want to get it done with and just accept my offer at IU and find a place, because they're going quick. So far, NYU hasn't responded to any of my questions through phone or email, and it's slightly disgusting because I'm 99% sure I'll be rejected and why the hell would they wait so long just to reject me when they've already notified almost everyone?

Congrats on UVa! Looks like we'll be classmates next year smile.gif

I'm probably going down to Charlottesville this weekend even if I don't hear from BC to look at apartments, since I know grad students snap them up quickly in March and April...any recommendations on location/apartment buildings? You can send me a PM if you'd like. Thanks!

while NYU has some incredibly talented scholars who are also often quite lovely human beings, dealing with the giant horrible machine that is the school of graduate studies is a nightmare. they will wait a long time to reject you, when they send out their UNSEALED envelope in the mail. yes, $90 can't even buy you the saliva to seal your rejection letter.

i remember last year someone heard on april 13 or 14 (yes, that late) that they got into NYU. everyone else still waiting at this point was rejected. if you have other plans, i say enjoy your spring and save yourself the heart ache and accept your other offer. you can't live comfortably off of $22,000 before tax in manhattan anyway, and the city is too distracting to get your work done, and blah blah blah. those are my two cents. i still wish i had the chance to work with some historians at NYU, and i'd love to live in manhattan, even if it was in a shoebox up in harlem, but NYU will drag this out to the last possible second.

while NYU has some incredibly talented scholars who are also often quite lovely human beings, dealing with the giant horrible machine that is the school of graduate studies is a nightmare. they will wait a long time to reject you, when they send out their UNSEALED envelope in the mail. yes, $90 can't even buy you the saliva to seal your rejection letter.

i remember last year someone heard on april 13 or 14 (yes, that late) that they got into NYU. everyone else still waiting at this point was rejected. if you have other plans, i say enjoy your spring and save yourself the heart ache and accept your other offer. you can't live comfortably off of $22,000 before tax in manhattan anyway, and the city is too distracting to get your work done, and blah blah blah. those are my two cents. i still wish i had the chance to work with some historians at NYU, and i'd love to live in manhattan, even if it was in a shoebox up in harlem, but NYU will drag this out to the last possible second.

Agreed. NYU is really jerking us around this year. I'm still waiting for word from them.

I also have yet to hear from NYU, and I'm also waiting on University of Colorado Boulder. I definitely agree that NYU is being a bit rude about it all. I've tried to follow up and the grad secretary has given me the standard response that decisions are still being made, they will let us know as soon as they can, etc.. doubtful though. Colorado I think just moves on its own time..

I'm mostly committed to UVA as well after a great trip down there last weekend (so hello future classmates!), but I still feel strange making the final decision without knowing.

I'm waiting for NYU as well. They're taking so long I don't even care any more... I even no longer obsessively check my email every two minutes!

I don't want to call them because I remember when at work we were behind with things, a lot to do and all we did all day was answering emails and phone calls from people asking when they would hear something so I guess that's why NYU doesn't even bother to reply.

I keep telling myself I don't actually want to attend NYU. But I do. I just hate waiting.

I am waiting on NYU as well but for a different department. The bureaucracy is indeed a nightmare. Sometimes I wondered why I bothered to re-apply but the faculty fit was there... I've already given up on NYU given that someone I know got accepted last week. Either I'm rejected or on some secret waitlist.

I'm also still waiting for another school (also in different department) and have just sent an e-mail to my potential adviser as I have a deadline to meet for a fellowship on Monday...

But don't you all find it slightly unreal that we've actually made it THIS far?!

Agreed. NYU is really jerking us around this year. I'm still waiting for word from them.

but it's not just this year. this is how NYU operates. they're not being ruder or more inconsiderate now. it's the same story and will be until they find a way to cut out some of the red tape.

BC is incredibly obnoxious, especially since some people have evidently heard from them (if the "results search" is telling the truth). I wonder if we late hearers were on their waiting list or some such... anyways, as it is the only thing that school has succeeded at is preventing me from telling my other school that I'm accepting their offer :/

Edited by Joe Lordan

BC is incredibly obnoxious, especially since some people have evidently heard from them (if the "results search" is telling the truth). I wonder if we late hearers were on their waiting list or some such... anyways, as it is the only thing that school has succeeded at is preventing me from telling my other school that I'm accepting their offer :/

I want to hear from them. Just a peep. The application was a lil expensive.

I also have yet to hear from NYU, and I'm also waiting on University of Colorado Boulder. I definitely agree that NYU is being a bit rude about it all. I've tried to follow up and the grad secretary has given me the standard response that decisions are still being made, they will let us know as soon as they can, etc.. doubtful though. Colorado I think just moves on its own time..

I'm mostly committed to UVA as well after a great trip down there last weekend (so hello future classmates!), but I still feel strange making the final decision without knowing.

Its so much fun having people who I will most likely be in class with next year. But seriously, any schools that haven't notified yet really have to know how ridiculous a position to put applicants in this is.

Also, Chickadee, I sent you a PM

Anyone else out there still waiting to hear from BC??? I saw some acceptances and a rejection on the board, but I've heard nothing!

I got a rejection letter from them in the mail this afternoon.

The way they folded the letter was magnificent (I have become a conosur of rejection letters this season)

The way they folded the letter was magnificent (I have become a conosur of rejection letters this season)

Like origami style? :P

Sorry to hear about BC though.

I am still waiting to hear from the University of Pennsylvania about their MA program. I don't even want to attend, and I have already officially accepted an offer somewhere else for a program I would much rather attend. Still, I put time into my Penn application, and paid the application fee. The online application confirms that my app was submitted successfully and completely, but I have yet to receive a single email from the department about my application, let alone a decision. I'm starting to wonder if maybe they don't get many applicants for their MA program, and don't even realize that someone actually applied this year. I haven't seen anyone post anything here about the Penn History MA. If I don't hear anything by 15 April, I may consider demanding my money back.

Sorry to all of you waiting on NYU and other programs that have no respect for their applicants. If universities like Yale, receiving 10,000+ applications overall this year, can get their decisions out by early February, then I don't think it's too much to ask for other institutions to respond by a reasonable date. Good to hear that is seems you all have pretty good programs to fall back on if NYU doesn't happen.

I am still waiting to hear from the University of Pennsylvania about their MA program. I don't even want to attend, and I have already officially accepted an offer somewhere else for a program I would much rather attend. Still, I put time into my Penn application, and paid the application fee. The online application confirms that my app was submitted successfully and completely, but I have yet to receive a single email from the department about my application, let alone a decision. I'm starting to wonder if maybe they don't get many applicants for their MA program, and don't even realize that someone actually applied this year. I haven't seen anyone post anything here about the Penn History MA. If I don't hear anything by 15 April, I may consider demanding my money back.

Sorry to all of you waiting on NYU and other programs that have no respect for their applicants. If universities like Yale, receiving 10,000+ applications overall this year, can get their decisions out by early February, then I don't think it's too much to ask for other institutions to respond by a reasonable date. Good to hear that is seems you all have pretty good programs to fall back on if NYU doesn't happen.

Email the director of graduate studies. Same thing happened to me, and I became fed up with it. They sent a letter to me after I called and emailed several people, and it seemed like it was in response to my inquiry. So contact them. Since it is this late, there is still an outside chance that you will get in, but I would not count on it. Ohio State was also very late in letting me know, and I still haven't received an official notification-- only in response to my own requests for information. All of this doesn't matter-- we are headed somewhere else!

Yeah, I'm still waiting to hear back from one MA program. I have basically already decided against it. After weeks of exciting campus visits and emailing faculty/students at other good programs that accepted me, I'm just not invested in the late-notifier anymore!

Thanks for the advice, but I think I'd prefer not emailing them, at least for now. I did my part in filling out the application and paying the fee. I shouldn't have to nag them for them to send me their decision, as quite frankly it's their responsibility to be on top of that stuff. I definitely would email them if I had any intention of attending the program, but out of principle I'm not going to. I don't really care whether or not I got in, I just don't appreciate being treated like crap. It can't really be that hard to make MA decisions anyways, it's not nearly as complicated as the PhD and there's no funding involved. Just look at my transcript, breeze over the first few sentences of my measly SOP, and tell me yes or no! Not too much to ask, I don't think. If I hear back by mid-April I'll forget the whole thing ever happened, but I doubt I will hear by then.

Its so much fun having people who I will most likely be in class with next year. But seriously, any schools that haven't notified yet really have to know how ridiculous a position to put applicants in this is.

Also, Chickadee, I sent you a PM

Would you mind sending me the same information? I didn't have enough time down in Charlottesville to get a great feel for the area, and I've been told most apartment buildings fill up early! I won't be able to get back down there for a couple weeks, so any info would be a great help.

Would you mind sending me the same information? I didn't have enough time down in Charlottesville to get a great feel for the area, and I've been told most apartment buildings fill up early! I won't be able to get back down there for a couple weeks, so any info would be a great help.

Sure, I'd be happy to. I'll send it right now.