Prof tends to submit reference letter last minute, what to do?

JoyJoy

One of my prof always submits things on the day it dues... My school's document deadline is Dec.1st and references are due on Dec. 15th, the school said they start reviewing applications in early December. If my applications are completed on the day it dues (Dec. 15th), would it be an disadvantage?

I'm on the same boat. I have a professor that submits right at the deadline and leading up to it, it makes me really nervous they're going to miss the deadline. Depending on the school, they actually go through a different order, like alphabetical order, rather than the order that you've submitted. I think you're going to be okay, but I'd still ping that professor every 3 days and just politely check in to see how they're doing. 

7 minutes ago, JoyJoy said:

If my applications are completed on the day it dues (Dec. 15th), would it be an disadvantage?

I don't think it will be a disadvantage. 15 days is not that much time (compared to how much time they will be reviewing all the applicants) and I am sure they won't look through too many applications during that time. This is just an assumption, but I don't think it will be too much of a disadvantage if it happens to be one. They set two separate dates, so they shouldn't do that to applicants that have references the turn their letters in close to the deadline.

19 hours ago, JoyJoy said:

One of my prof always submits things on the day it dues... My school's document deadline is Dec.1st and references are due on Dec. 15th, the school said they start reviewing applications in early December. If my applications are completed on the day it dues (Dec. 15th), would it be an disadvantage?

Heres my understanding, tl;dr the answer's No. UBC probably review materials as they come in, so they're likely assessing everything else in the application and basically the letters are the final piece thats needed--but not required--to assess the app. That or nothing is looked at until after the 15th, but that sounds less likely given interviews are in February. Neither scenario disadvantages you, the deadline's there for a reason so I don't think you'd be punished for following rules.

On 12/5/2018 at 9:38 PM, catsAndML4Days said:

I'd still ping that professor every 3 days and just politely check in to see how they're doing. 

Don't do this. Politely emailing every three days is an oxymoron; it's not polite to badger someone who's doing you a favour. One reminder two work days before it's due is fine.

On 12/5/2018 at 9:29 PM, JoyJoy said:

If my applications are completed on the day it dues (Dec. 15th), would it be an disadvantage?

No. Believe me, you won't be the only candidate whose letters are coming in on the last day.

Edited by lewin

Thank you everyone for your advice and wisdom!

The prof hasn't submitted his letter yet. I sent out a reminder today. I think deep in my heart, I know he will write it and submit it before the deadline. I have to be patient. I can do nothing at this point ... ... 

Good luck to you all!

On 12/10/2018 at 4:08 PM, lewin said:

Don't do this. Politely emailing every three days is an oxymoron; it's not polite to badger someone who's doing you a favour. One reminder two work days before it's due is fine.

No. Believe me, you won't be the only candidate whose letters are coming in on the last day.

I think it depends on the person -- I have profs who have made a point to say that they appreciate me reminding them because they would have forgotten otherwise. That being said, every 3 days is a little excessive. I recommend sending three reminders max, and the last one should be on the day before the letter is due.