Chances of getting into a PhD program?

Winnie5294

Question

Hi all,

I’m a current grad student going to school for my masters in school counseling. I majored in psychology in undergrad but for a while wasn’t sure what I wanted to do. My undergrad GPA wasnt great (3.1). I’m on track to do well in my masters program (4.0 so far), but I also just started my program this past semester. 

I don’t have a lot of research experience aside from some typical undergrad research. I recently asked my current academic advisor how I can make myself a stronger PhD applicant (and if it’s realistic for me) so we will be meeting in the future to discuss. Part of my unpreparedness is the fact that I wasn’t sure if I definitely wanted to go this route until recently. It has always been in my mind but after starting my Master’s program, I realized this is something I definitely want to do. 

I live in Boston so I’d hope to apply to some of the schools around here (BU/Northeastern/UMB/Lesley) but open to applying elsewhere. I’m interested in developmental psychology/school psychology. However, will my GPA in my current program be enough to outweigh my undergrad GPA? What about research experience? I’m trying to find out how I can get more experience here. I did average on the GRE and would definitely retake them. 

I know no one can give me definite answers here but hoping some people can speak from experience!

Edited by Winnie5294
Added tags

3 answers to this question

A PhD is a research degree, so the most important thing you can do is get a lot of research experience, including products (posters and maybe publications if you have the chance). If you do well in your master's program, that can mediate your poor undergrad GPA as it shows you can handle graduate level coursework.

As far as schools go, you want to pick universities based on faculty research match more so than geographic location. Fit is another major factor in making you a competitive applicant. If you have an interest in studying x and no one in that program does research even remotely in that area, they probably won't look at you as a viable candidate, even if your application was stellar in every other capacity because.....what are you going to do there? 

TLDR: research experience and research fit are the 2 most important things for grad school applications. 

23 hours ago, Winnie5294 said:

Hi all,

I’m a current grad student going to school for my masters in school counseling. I majored in psychology in undergrad but for a while wasn’t sure what I wanted to do. My undergrad GPA wasnt great (3.1). I’m on track to do well in my masters program (4.0 so far), but I also just started my program this past semester. 

I don’t have a lot of research experience aside from some typical undergrad research. I recently asked my current academic advisor how I can make myself a stronger PhD applicant (and if it’s realistic for me) so we will be meeting in the future to discuss. Part of my unpreparedness is the fact that I wasn’t sure if I definitely wanted to go this route until recently. It has always been in my mind but after starting my Master’s program, I realized this is something I definitely want to do. 

I live in Boston so I’d hope to apply to some of the schools around here (BU/Northeastern/UMB/Lesley) but open to applying elsewhere. I’m interested in developmental psychology/school psychology. However, will my GPA in my current program be enough to outweigh my undergrad GPA? What about research experience? I’m trying to find out how I can get more experience here. I did average on the GRE and would definitely retake them. 

I know no one can give me definite answers here but hoping some people can speak from experience!

If I were you I would put off applying to PhD programs until you have more substantial research experience. Like the other poster mentioned, PhD is a research degree and research experience and presentations/publications are the most important part of your application. Competitive psychology PhD applicants typically have 2 years of direct psychology research experience and AT LEAST 1 publication or presentation (on top of good GRE scores/GPA/Recommendations etc.) Be aware that many in this field endure multiple rounds of grad applications and interviews before gaining acceptance to a program (this is my third round of applications). An option to consider would be a PsyD which is more clinical focused and would require less research experience (though more costly than a PhD) and an MSW, since LCSWers do most of the work in the field anyways! If PhD is truly what your heart desires, take some time to build up your application with more research experience and ensure you are a competitive applicant before spending the thousands of dollars it takes to apply.

Also, take a look at this document for some REALLY detailed and helpful information about applying to graduate psychology programs :) 

http://mitch.web.unc.edu/files/2017/02/MitchGradSchoolAdvice.pdf

Best wishes!

Edited by mwood126

Most everyone has already said it, but yea research experience is gonna be your best chance. I don't think your undergraduate GPA will be a huge deal as long as you make it known that you are advanced in research/have good recommendations from research supervisors. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to poke your head around to find a research job at your uni, but definitely ask around with your profs/other research profs. Research internships over breaks (if you have time) or on the side would be super beneficial. Keep up the 4.0 GPA and get some research experience and I'm sure you'll do great at getting into a PHD program.