Thank You Gifts for LOR Writers?

Bopie5

I had four professors that I've had multi-year relationships with write LORs for me for my PhD grad apps. I want to write them all thank you notes and get them each a small gift, but I have no idea what to do! Obviously I'm a poor undergrad student with limited funds, but I do want to do something to show my appreciation for their time and energy...any suggestions?

3 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

I had four professors that I've had multi-year relationships with write LORs for me for my PhD grad apps. I want to write them all thank you notes and get them each a small gift, but I have no idea what to do! Obviously I'm a poor undergrad student with limited funds, but I do want to do something to show my appreciation for their time and energy...any suggestions?

Someone from last year had suggested sending a pen from the school they decided to attend, which is what I'm going to do. A small gift but probably very useful to an academic, and thoughtful!

That is such a good idea, kgras13!

Last year I made a gift basket of cheetos and wine for my advisor, who helped me with an LOR, my SoP, and my WS.  Cheetos are her favorite snack, haha.  

This year I think I'll do the pen idea...provided I get into a program!

On 12/13/2018 at 1:16 PM, kgras13 said:

Someone from last year had suggested sending a pen from the school they decided to attend, which is what I'm going to do. A small gift but probably very useful to an academic, and thoughtful!

I really like this! Thanks for the idea!

• 1 month later...

For one of my LOR writers and my favorite professor, I bought her a book written by an author she introduced us to in class and wrote a nice thank you note on the inside cover! 

When I graduated in 2017, I got each of my thesis advisors (now LOR writers) an art print + reasonably priced frame, and wrote each of them a thank you card. I like the idea of a gift that can stick around as a reminder of the work we did together.