On 1/4/2019 at 9:31 AM, merry night wanderer said:

Were there SoPs any of you used as a model? I'm pondering this out, and I think what i'm lacking are some examples of what to go for.

I wanted to mention one helpful book that I read. It is called Graduate Admissions Essays. I felt like it gave a good balance between giving guidelines, but also mentioned the exceptions to the rules. 

I think following the advice in this book would at the very least keep you from making many common mistakes. 

Good luck! 

Glad you all found that Berkeley sample SoP helpful...I also read it back in September and found it to somehow be the opposite of helpful. Like, I could see why it was an effective SoP but then all I could think was "ok here's a good SoP" but not how I could translate anything to my own...

@sad_diamond  Haha, I definitely had moments looking at that SoP when I was thinking how the hell do I use this?  I found it more helpful to look at after my SoP was mostly done, as sort of an editing tool. 

It was also nice to see that a successful SoP at Berkeley was a piece of writing the quality of which I was totally capable of.  At least that's what I kept telling myself...

1 hour ago, sad_diamond said:

Glad you all found that Berkeley sample SoP helpful...I also read it back in September and found it to somehow be the opposite of helpful. Like, I could see why it was an effective SoP but then all I could think was "ok here's a good SoP" but not how I could translate anything to my own...

It is intimidatingly good!