Clinical Psychology PhD - UK or international applicants?

psychapplicant21

I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has applied to or is currently completing a Clinical Psychology PhD in America?

I have applied to programs for Fall 2019 intake and I am waiting to hear back about interviews. 

If you have applied or are a current PhD student it would be helpful if you could share your experiences of the interview process and your experience transitioning to America as a UK citizen!

Thanks

I applied for fall 2019 and I'm Nigerian but I have an MSc in Psychology from the UK. It's a bit scary cos I think funding for international students can be a bit low but I'm looking forward to hearing back from them.

May I ask why you decided to apply to the US considering that the Clinical doctorate in the UK is tuition free, 3 years and you get paid band 5 or 6-ish?

I also completed an MRes in the UK! Yes but most places do provide funding even if you are an international applicant because they recognize the diversity and value of having a different perspective in research! 

I applied to the US because they combine research and clinical which I think is really important - in the UK it is separate if you choose clinical you must complete the 3 year doctorate and if you want to do research you do a 3 year PhD. On paper it sounds great but in reality it is highly competitive and once you gain a place you are over worked, under paid and constantly stressed. To get a place on the clinical doctorate can take years as most applicants now have a PhD on top of a masters and you also must gain experience working as an Assistant Psychologist which is even less pay and even more competitive as up to 1,000 applicants can apply for 1 position and  most already have AP experience! Therefore I am taking my chances in America ?

Edited by UK_PhD_Applicant