Child Clinical Programs?

justacigar

Hi all, 

In my quest to begin preparing myself for 2020 matriculation, I was hoping to reach out and see if any of you had recommendations for child clinical track PhD programs! I have been doing research of my own, but it definitely gets overwhelming to look at all programs, search for child-focused researchers, and even further narrow down the choices based on my interests (maternal and infant mental health). If you know of any reputable programs I should look at, I would absolutely love the help!

Many many thanks, and congrats/best of luck to those of you who are interviewing soon!

3 minutes ago, chopper.wife said:

Are you interested primarily in programs in the USA?

I haven't really thought of attending school outside of the USA, but I would be open to it if the program and POI were a good fit (would also have to get my husband on board!) Are programs outside the USA still typically funded?

I don't know of any specific programs, but a good way to find schools is to sometimes look at recent publications in your area of interest and see where those authors are based out of. Then you can look at those programs. This way you have a better chance of targeting professors in your direct research interests. 

I can't remember the source of this list, but I downloaded it last year from an association or society focused on child clinical psychology. 

Hope this is helpful! I'll try to track down the source and post it here if I can find it. 

Child and Adolescent Clinical PhD and Masters Grad School List.xlsx

1 hour ago, justacigar said:

I haven't really thought of attending school outside of the USA, but I would be open to it if the program and POI were a good fit (would also have to get my husband on board!) Are programs outside the USA still typically funded?

I'm less clear on funding, but do know of graduate students from the states with funding -- it's just a little more complicated. I know that York (in Toronto), Simon Fraser University (in Vancouver), and University of Guelph (in Guelph, Ontario) all have child specific programs. However, across programs that are not child specific there are also individuals working on research that is focused on parent/child outcomes that would be well worth applying to. In the US, Minnesota has an amazing group of child-focused faculty, as does the University of Oregon.

Edited by chopper.wife
I’m dumb

24 minutes ago, chopper.wife said:

I'm less clear on funding, but do know of graduate students from the states with funding -- it's just a little more complicated. I know that York (in Toronto), Simon Fraser University (in Vancouver), and University of Guelph (in Guelph, Ontario) all have child specific programs. However, across programs that are not child specific there are also individuals working on research that is focused on parent/child outcomes that would be well worth applying to. In the US, Minnesota has an amazing group of child-focused faculty, as does the University of Oregon.

Thanks! I will look into those. I actually applied to U of O but am assuming rejection at this point, as their interviews for clinical are this Friday. I will probably apply again next cycle!

46 minutes ago, gillis_55 said:

I can't remember the source of this list, but I downloaded it last year from an association or society focused on child clinical psychology. 

Hope this is helpful! I'll try to track down the source and post it here if I can find it. 

Child and Adolescent Clinical PhD and Masters Grad School List.xlsx

Thank you for that! I will for sure look at that list. Very helpful. 

Thanks everyone for the wonderful suggestions so far!