Yale MFA 2019

henryfive

21 hours ago, cransam said:

Thanks for making this! Counting the days. Does anyone know if the photo dept. requires you to bring prints to the interview?

I've been wondering this as well. I think there is something on the mfa site that mentions something about a physical portfolio that can have up to 30 photos as opposed to 20. But I'm not sure. 

9 hours ago, miamirose said:

I've been wondering this as well. I think there is something on the mfa site that mentions something about a physical portfolio that can have up to 30 photos as opposed to 20. But I'm not sure. 

Oh really? Lmk if you find it again! I’d be interested to read that

This is from 2007 but at the end it says: "Out of the 70 painting finalists, 21 will be admitted; of 39 in graphic design, 16 will be admitted; of 31 in sculpture, 10 will be admitted; and of 27 in photography, nine will be admitted"

Just for those curious about how many people get interviews!

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2007/03/29/art-applicants-begin-interviews/

12 hours ago, henryfive said:

Oh really? Lmk if you find it again! I’d be interested to read that

It's in the Yale Art School Bulletin

https://bulletin.yale.edu/sites/default/files/school-of-art-2018-2019.pdf

Down in the Application section under "Final Selections" and under Photo it says

"Applicants in Photography Applicants should submit a portfolio of twenty-five to thirty photographic prints."

4 minutes ago, babsi said:

I am so anxious for Friday!!!

How many people are applying for their first time? Second? Third?

This is my first time, so I'm being realistic, but hopeful :) 

Me too! I can hardly focus on anything, it's ridiculous. I have dinner plans with my partner at a nice restaurant to either celebrate or cheer up, ha!

I applied last year for photo and again this year. I didn't get an interview but I was finishing up my BFA while applying and I hear they pretty much flat out don't accept people who will be fresh out of undergrad. Here's to hoping I do better this year. Good luck to you!

37 minutes ago, babsi said:

I am so anxious for Friday!!!

How many people are applying for their first time? Second? Third?

This is my first time, so I'm being realistic, but hopeful :) 

I’m applying for the first time too.

From what I have read here on the forum, application’s status will be updated 9am on Friday and emails will be sent in the evening.

Both Karel and Michael are in the school today, probably selecting who’s gonna get invited to an interview.

good luck to everyone who applied ?

Edited by MikeM77

16 hours ago, MikeM77 said:

Did anyone else got a hit from New Haven? 

0B57DB52-AB98-47F2-8094-7EEBFF6877BE.jpeg

I haven't so far this year, but I did get a hit last year but didn't get in. Not to discourage you! At the open house they mentioned that a lot of times they don't have time to look at websites but will do so if they want more information on someone or if they're having a difficult time deciding. 

1 minute ago, Sylvieee said:

I haven't so far this year, but I did get a hit last year but didn't get in. Not to discourage you! At the open house they mentioned that a lot of times they don't have time to look at websites but will do so if they want more information on someone or if they're having a difficult time deciding. 

Yeah, I guess that’s fair since they get hundreds of applications. This is probably from one of the students there as they also have a big say who gets in and who don’t.

8 minutes ago, Sylvieee said:

Me too! I can hardly focus on anything, it's ridiculous. I have dinner plans with my partner at a nice restaurant to either celebrate or cheer up, ha!

I applied last year for photo and again this year. I didn't get an interview but I was finishing up my BFA while applying and I hear they pretty much flat out don't accept people who will be fresh out of undergrad. Here's to hoping I do better this year. Good luck to you!

I can't focus on anything either! Dinner sounds like a great idea. 

Yeah, that does seem to be the pattern. I completed undergrad two years ago so we'll see if that helps at all. Good luck to you too!! 

How do you know you’ll get an answer from Yale by this Friday?? In my experience it has always been varied with responses. 

Im a painter and have interviews with Tyler, VCU and the Univeristy of Tennessee, but haven’t heard back from my other schools yet. Wondering if anyone has heard from the schools below???

Columbia, Yale, Rutgers, Hunter, UCLA, UCI, BU, RISD.

ahhh very anxious and excited, thanks y’all!

Edited by slboy__

2 minutes ago, slboy__ said:

How do you know you’ll get an answer from Yale by this Friday?? In my experience it has always been varied with responses. 

Im a painter and have interviews with Tyler, VCU and the Univeristy of Tennessee, but haven’t heard back from my other schools yet. Wondering if anyone has heard from the schools below???

Based on the few last years on the grad forum it's been the first Friday in Feb. that they announce interviews. 

Ah! When did you get contacted about an interview at VCU?

The Yale site says February 1st! Hopefully it's on time.

I also applied to UCLA and RISD along with CalArts. Haven't heard anything from any of them yet. 

Congrats on the interviews!!

8 minutes ago, babsi said:

The Yale site says February 1st! Hopefully it's on time.

I also applied to UCLA and RISD along with CalArts. Haven't heard anything from any of them yet. 

Congrats on the interviews!!

Ah! It does! We'll have the first round of decisions 5pm EST Friday! ?

11 hours ago, slboy__ said:

You’ve heard from VCU and Tyler already? Jealous!  I’m a sculptor, and applied there too, but alas I haven’t heard from them yet. I had an interview at UC Davis but haven’t heard final results yet.

Edited by Gblls