PhD Epidemiology 2019 Canada

CanadaEpi

On 1/23/2019 at 2:33 PM, CanadaEpi said:

Starting this thread since I haven't seen one like it yet. Has anyone heard back from University of Toronto Dalla Lana School of Public Health PhD Epidemiology?

Hi everyone! I also applied to PhD programs in epi at UofT and McGill. I had a phone interview with UofT last Saturday, Jan 19th. No updates on McGill so far, but not sure if they do interviews.

• 2 weeks later...

UofT PhD Epidemiology - rejected via email/online Feb 11
my undergrad grades were really bad, but my MA grades were quite good. I think my project was very strong and I foudn a supervisor at UofT who wanted to work with me, so I think it's mostly a GPA issue for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2019 at 2:18 PM, LSP said:

Hi everyone! I also applied to PhD programs in epi at UofT and McGill. I had a phone interview with UofT last Saturday, Jan 19th. No updates on McGill so far, but not sure if they do interviews.

Hey LSP, are you the accepted McGill on the Results?

15 minutes ago, EpiBuf said:

Hey LSP, are you the accepted McGill on the Results?

Yeah, that was me! I got an email yesterday with an official admission and funding offer, but uApply online portal still says under review. (I had to contact McGill about their mid-March timeline to send out results because I have to respond to another school's admission offer by the end of this month.)

Have you heard back? If not, good luck—sending good vibes your way!

39 minutes ago, LSP said:

Yeah, that was me! I got an email yesterday with an official admission and funding offer, but uApply online portal still says under review. (I had to contact McGill about their mid-March timeline to send out results because I have to respond to another school's admission offer by the end of this month.)

Congrats! Haven't heard anything yet. I was expecting them to send out acceptance and rejection letters at the same time, as that's what they've done in the past....but who knows.

2 hours ago, EpiBuf said:

Congrats! Haven't heard anything yet. I was expecting them to send out acceptance and rejection letters at the same time, as that's what they've done in the past....but who knows.

Thanks and good luck to you!

On 2/20/2019 at 7:48 PM, LSP said:

Ooooh interesting! I might reach out as well and see what is up. Congrats!! 

Update! 

So I contacted McGill regarding admission timeline - I said: 

Hi, I hope this email finds you well. I was wondering if you can provide me an update on the committee's decision. I know online it says there is a mid-march timeline, but I have to respond to another school's admission offer by the end of this month. Looking forward to hearing from you. Best, William

She responded: 

Hello William, mid-March is still the timeline. best regards, 

So i am assuming that I didn't get in or waitlisted. 

31 minutes ago, Pubhealth101 said:

Update! 

Hi, I hope this email finds you well. I was wondering if you can provide me an update on the committee's decision. I know online it says there is a mid-march timeline, but I have to respond to another school's admission offer by the end of this month. Looking forward to hearing from you. Best, William

She responded: 

Thanks for this. Hoping thats not the case, and we both hear back with good news soon!

7 hours ago, Pubhealth101 said:

Update! 

She responded: 

If the decision isn't updated on uApply, there's still a good chance. When I contacted McGill admin, that's what they told me, too—they wouldn't budge. But because of my tight timeline from another school's offer, I emailed my prospective supervisors, who followed up on my behalf. Keeping my fingers crossed for you both, @Pubhealth101 and @EpiBuf.

3 minutes ago, LSP said:

If the decision isn't updated on uApply, there's still a good chance. When I contacted McGill admin, that's what they told me, too—they wouldn't budge. But because of my tight timeline from another school's offer, I emailed my prospective supervisors, who followed up on my behalf. Keeping my fingers crossed for you both, @Pubhealth101 and @EpiBuf.

That’s really reassuring—thanks!

1 hour ago, Pubhealth101 said:

found out about McGill!

I take it the exclamation point means accepted!? If so, congrats!!

I received my letter today as well. It says “recommend to GPS for acceptance”. Does that mean there’s a chance GPS would still reject an applicant? I haven’t come across this before.

1 minute ago, EpiBuf said:

I take it the exclamation point means accepted!? If so, congrats!!

I received my letter today as well. It says “recommend to GPS for acceptance”. Does that mean there’s a chance GPS would still reject an applicant? I haven’t come across this before.

oooh shit ! you are right. now i'm confused hahaha I think we are accepted by the department and it will be unlikely that GPS will reject us (right....?) so we are waiting for the official letter from GPS.  

21 minutes ago, Pubhealth101 said:

oooh shit ! you are right. now i'm confused hahaha I think we are accepted by the department and it will be unlikely that GPS will reject us (right....?) so we are waiting for the official letter from GPS.  

Hopefully!! I just hope my celebration isn’t premature!

@EpiBuf Yes - essentially this would mean that the Department/Admissions Committee has recommended you receive an offer. This would go to the School of Graduate Studies, who would review your file once more before an offer would be issued. It is very rare that the School of Graduate Studies would not proceed with an offer for a candidate recommended by the Department (<1%). 

Sincerely, someone who has worked in admissions at another institution :)