Fall 2019 - Comparative Literature

itslit

Another batch of rejections today, y'all! There's still time for things to turn around, but I have a gut feeling that I'll end up continuing on in my current comp. lit. program, which is less than exciting (as much as I recognize how fortunate I am to have that as a backup plan). 

On 2/5/2019 at 4:48 PM, pdh12 said:

also, what's everyone thoughts on this: https://www.chronicle.com/article/NRC-Rankings-Overview-/124718 ?

I have mixed feelings, but I agree more than I disagree with this. I think it would benefit from a metric related to programs' placement record. Last time I checked, Emory's was dicey, but they have high marks across these fields. I wonder to what extent that discrepancy may result from their name and perceived status as a "Southern Ivy." 

But, full disclosure, I'm a little embittered by my own program's not-so-great ranking according to this list, so take my perspective with a grain of salt. 

On 1/24/2019 at 9:37 PM, itslit said:

Hi, everyone! How are we holding up? Personally, I have run out of fingernails to bite—for better or worse—but I hope to hear back from schools in the next week or so. For those of you who applied to a comp. lit. program (or a related discipline, e.g., media studies) this cycle, how are things on your end?

Congratulations to those already on the board! Yale, Emory, Duke, Cornell, PSU, Irvine, and Santa Cruz will be lucky to have you, whoever you are. 

If only out of masochism (as I have yet to receive anything): to those of you who recently interviewed at Penn State, how did it go? What sorts of questions did they ask?

And more generally, for those of you who have interviewed at any school for (comparative) literature, what should those of us waiting in the wings prepare for? How do these things go, in your experience? 

Regardless, best of luck to everyone this season!

I'm wondering if the list of schools you included (Yale, Emory ... Santa Cruz) in conjunction with the congratulations are ones that have already sent out interview requests (and/or acceptances). Or does this list have a different significance? 

Edited by Clarisse451

@itslit oh interesting, are you trying to transfer from one phd to another? how's that process been? seems like it could be stressful! 

As far as comparing schools go, I feel pretty in the dark. it seems impossible to know how great a school will be for you until your actually a student there.

I feel like we've hit pique purgatory. I can't tell now if silence is good or bad...

@Clarisse451 Hey, yes! When I posted this, those were programs that had already sent out interview requests or accepted applicants for the fall. Some of them are still deliberating—to my knowledge—so don't feel discouraged if you applied there!

---

@pdh12 Ahhh, sorry! I should have clarified, but I'm finishing my MA in a department that also offers a PhD! I could not imagine trying to transfer, omg. And yes, I absolutely agree. What one person might consider a "bad" school will always be someone else's best fit, and regardless, what matters most is what you do along the way. So I'm not a huge fan of rankings, even if we're somewhat forced to keep them in mind because big names can carry a lot of weight when we reach the job market. Still, though, there's no way to say with any certainty what others might think of one's application post-PhD, but I surely hope they take a more holistic view than what I'm cynically suggesting here.  

This silence is KILLING MEEE. How is it going on your end? 

I have the same 3 pending as you, plus a few more besides....it's Debilitating. Debilitatiiiiiiiinnnngggg...but i've been very lucky to have received some good news already. got any ideas re: when we might hear from some of those? it Must be imminent?!?!

So, it seemed like UPenn finished their interviews like 2 weeks ago but there seem to be new interviewees?

Should I wait for interview still or do you guys think UPenn already more or less made their choice? 

4 hours ago, jadeisokay said:

i feel like they made their choice but i really hope not. i only saw two on the results thread; guessing super tiny cohort.

Sadness. that was my second choice :( I did hear though they were going for a small class this year.

Hey comp lit pals! Only just found this thread, but so glad I’ve finally found my people to commiserate with over this loooooong old waiting game. I’m also an implied rejection from NYU (it was a definite reach for me but I’m still sad ☹️), interview at USC and accepted to UT Austin (heard the funding situation is dire tho so a bit hesitant). Massive congratulations to everyone who’s had good news so far! I’m still waiting on UCLA...anyone have any idea when they might start notifying? Gah I can’t wait for this to be overrrr

7 minutes ago, Yourcenar said:

When you guys say that you have implied rejections from NYU is it considering the fact that their interview period is over?

Thanks. :)

About four people posted on the results survey that they had been offered interviews by NYU, so I assume that not being asked to interview means I’m probably not on the shortlist. Of course, this is 100% speculation, so i guess anything could still happen - but I’m not very optimistic!

4 hours ago, jadeisokay said:

rejected from northwestern, implied rejection from nyu, referred to maph for Chicago cinema, nothing from Pittsburgh yet. couldn't really afford to apply more places.

too bad. im also rejected from northwestern and referred to maph. maybe I'll see you there? But not sure if I can afford the program.