Long wait after interview

Izakawa

Hi guys. It has been almost a month since I was interviewed. After the interview I was notified to get the final decision after interviewing the domestic students. Since it is almost a month now, does it mean that interview was bad and I am rejected? Should I contact the program and ask about my status?

2 hours ago, Izakawa said:

Hi guys. It has been almost a month since I was interviewed. After the interview I was notified to get the final decision after interviewing the domestic students. Since it is almost a month now, does it mean that interview was bad and I am rejected? Should I contact the program and ask about my status?

You can always contact the department email (gradamission@university.edu or something like that).  Don't assume.  Assuming won't get you anywhere.  Also, you don't know how far along they are in the domestic interviews, considering they get hundreds more than international.  Just email the department email (NOT the POI). 

It sounds like they interviewed you early and are waiting to make final decisions until they finish all the interviews. I know the waiting is hard, but don’t despair! You can always contact the person who set up your interview and see if you can get an updated timeline?

I just dont understand why they give me a final decision only after finishing the interview with domestic students? I thought that international students admissions does not depend on domestic students admission or interview. 

I am not entirely familiar with international admissions, but most grad programs have a certain number of students they can admit overall, and they don't necessarily differentiate between domestic and international. 

13 hours ago, iwearflowers said:

You can always contact the person who set up your interview and see if you can get an updated timeline?

Do this ONLY if the person who set up the interview is NOT the POI.  Strickly speaking, speak directly to the department of graduate admissions regarding status updates.  Professors, unless on the committee, have no idea. 

4 hours ago, Izakawa said:

I just dont understand why they give me a final decision only after finishing the interview with domestic students? I thought that international students admissions does not depend on domestic students admission or interview. 

This is incorrect for most universities.  For most universities, they don't have different allowances for International and Domestic, unless it is in regards to fellowships.  If as school has 40 spots available, they will choose from the most qualified domestic and international students, combined.  Admittedly, however, universities have to put more consideration into international students due to the cost of bringing them on board, so the threshold of what they consider "competitive" for domestic and international are different.