[ UX / HCI ] NYU ITP vs Pratt IED

Anybody receive funding information? I just received a 50% tuition scholarship at NYU ITP. I'm also waiting to hear back about funding from Michigan.  The creative atmosphere of NYU ITP may suit me more though.

Edited by crosro

Hey!

I am on the same situation as everyone. Got accepted to Pratt (half tuition scholarship) and ITP (nearly half tuition scholarship). Haven't decided which school to go to yet since I am still waiting for SVA's letter, was interviewed by them a few weeks ago. Not 100% sure why but hope is a good sign. 

Did anyone apply to SVA IXD here? 

Hey guys! I've been accepted to Pratt and Parsons (with 20% scholarship). I'm gonna go with Pratt purely because it's still the cheaper option. ?

And the course structure is more UX/HCI focussed unlike the Parsons one. 

27 minutes ago, Nit in said:

Hey guys! I've been accepted to Pratt and Parsons (with 20% scholarship). I'm gonna go with Pratt purely because it's still the cheaper option. ?

And the course structure is more UX/HCI focussed unlike the Parsons one. 

Congrats with both of the admissions and the scholarship! I didn't get a scholarship from Parsons sadly :( Anyways, I am still considering my options...

9 hours ago, anniehsinyu said:

I heard from them on Mar. 20 and I didn't have an interview! Did you hear from them yet? 

Congrats on the scholarships!!! You must be really talented. :) 

Interesting, I'm wondering if that means I was on waitlist and they interviewed me to make a decision.. I checked the app website on Wednesday and it said my application was being reviewed. Checked yesterday, and it had changed to "Decision will be sent via mail and email. You will receive your detailed offer soon!" Still waiting for that email though. 

I live in Taiwan btw, so it's Friday morning for us already. I'm hoping tonight I get a response. And thanks! You are really talented too, got into many schools!

On 3/22/2019 at 10:41 AM, Hossurc said:

Interesting, I'm wondering if that means I was on waitlist and they interviewed me to make a decision.. I checked the app website on Wednesday and it said my application was being reviewed. Checked yesterday, and it had changed to "Decision will be sent via mail and email. You will receive your detailed offer soon!" Still waiting for that email though. 

I live in Taiwan btw, so it's Friday morning for us already. I'm hoping tonight I get a response. And thanks! You are really talented too, got into many schools!

Wish you all the luck! Actually, I am from Taiwan too :) 

Edited by anniehsinyu

2 hours ago, anniehsinyu said:

Wish you all the luck! Actually, I am from Taiwan too :) 

Thanks, have you decided yet which school?

Oh really? Nice! I'm not Taiwanese but love your country. Been living here for almost 8 years. 

Edited by Hossurc

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2019 at 3:45 PM, guanandguan said:

Wow! I got admitted to ITP and I am from Taiwan too! So glad to see you guys here!

Congrats! Did you accept ITPs offer?

On 4/9/2019 at 12:37 PM, guanandguan said:

Yes! Are you in the facebook group?

Had no idea there was a group! Just joined, thanks! I haven't decided yet though... I'm struggling to choose between NYU and SVA

Ok, research + conversations with a lot of itp friends alums, i will repeat what they have said for the benefit of everyone here

short story: can you code? yes - go to itp. no - can still go to itp but may struggle compared to people who can code. keep in mind youre also competing for internships etc with these people. if u can't code and want to focus more on design then something like pratt/SVA is probably a place where you start on an equal footing

Don't be discouraged if u can't code, but know that u will have to work very hard (and much harder than people who are coming from software/ee backgrounds) in order to produce something meaningful. Faculty is kind and will do a lot to meet you where you are but at the end of the day you are on your own because so many other people are also looking for help. its no secret that ITP is not competitive, its acceptance rate is 65%ish so an acceptance doesn't mean you will be successful there, but it does indicate that someone thinks that you have the potential (and the money) to succeed there. 

Ok, what are the outcomes of an ITP education: Broad spectrum but a wide majority of folks (50-65%) end up in UI/UX roles. Fewer people (15%) who are more technically adept end up at a company like R/GA. {Google and other tech companies are a popular destination for some of the top of the class. And a few will also become the promising new artists of the field} (10%ish) the question you should ask yourself is the cliche where do u want to see yourself in 5 years

Resources you should look into before making a decision:

Spring 2019 catalog (i dont why they haven't uploaded this properly)

Chats with faculty (Faculty won't directly tell you if you're not a good fit but watch these carefully for red flags)

Spring shows ( also look into thesis presentations, ask yourself if this is the kind of work you want to do. Does it spark joy?)

Things to consider about your financial situation before making a decision:

Are you rich?

yes: Go to ITP, what do you have to lose. enjoy. (hate u)

no: Do you mind going into an experimental field with some financial uncertainty?

yes: think long and hard about your financial situation before taking this leap. There are similar schools that offer the education you want for less $

no: Go to ITP 

You can make a good amount of money after your ITP education if you learn how to code (and code well) $120K+, so if you're poor (like me) but don't mind making a bet on your future then you should 100% consider ITP. It gets a healthy amount of recruiters from top companies from what i hear

@ThriftyCyborg Thank you for the valuable information and advices.

After watching one of the Chats with faculty videos, I learned that ITP recently moved to Brooklyn to be located inside the Tandon School of Engineering building. So do ITP students no longer use the Tisch building in Manhattan? What do current ITP students think about this?

Edited by Warsaw

8 hours ago, Warsaw said:

@ThriftyCyborg Thank you for the valuable information and advices.

After watching one of the Chats with faculty videos, I learned that ITP recently moved to Brooklyn to be located inside the Tandon School of Engineering building. So do ITP students no longer use the Tisch building in Manhattan? What do current ITP students think about this?

Yes it will be in brooklyn near Jay Street. Its still a Tisch education but inside Tandon's building. One thing I know is that your commute is probably easier (assuming nobody has the money to live in manhattan because its very expensive). Its supposed to be a bigger space so thats probably a plus? I love greenwich village though so losing out on that environment is probably a big shame

22 hours ago, crosro said:

I believe other Tisch programs are moving to Jay Street as well, such as the Clive Davis Institute for Recorded Music and the Center for Game Design.

Thanks for your post ThriftyCyborg.

I'm not a proficient coder, but I'm joining ITP.

I hope to practice more before classes start.

Best of luck! I hope I haven't been misread, success at ITP is definitely within your grasp if you're not a proficient coder going in at the cost of some hard work. From what I've been told — one positive is that its not a cut throat environment, its pretty collaborative. A key to success is to make a lot of friends! 

Edited by ThriftyCyborg

On 4/17/2019 at 3:12 AM, ThriftyCyborg said:

Best of luck! I hope I haven't been misread, success at ITP is definitely within your grasp if you're not a proficient coder going in at the cost of some hard work. From what I've been told — one positive is that its not a cut throat environment, its pretty collaborative. A key to success is to make a lot of friends! 

Thank you for your input. Do you have any idea about how's the environment at SVA?