[ UX / HCI ] NYU ITP vs Pratt IED

Hi guys, 
I currently got accepted into NYU Interactive Telecommunication Program (no scholarship) and Pratt Information Experience Design (awarded with scholarship).

Question: which one should I go for?

I love both of the programs and they are both prestigious schools.
The fact that Pratt has awarded with a fair amount of scholarship has indeed made it very tempting...
On the other hand, the fame and community of NYU ITP are very fascinating to me as well.

Could some give me any advice? 
Thanks a lot in advance :) 

11 hours ago, anniehsinyu said:

Hi guys, 
I currently got accepted into NYU Interactive Telecommunication Program (no scholarship) and Pratt Information Experience Design (awarded with scholarship).

Question: which one should I go for?

I love both of the programs and they are both prestigious schools.
The fact that Pratt has awarded with a fair amount of scholarship has indeed made it very tempting...
On the other hand, the fame and community of NYU ITP are very fascinating to me as well.

Could some give me any advice? 
Thanks a lot in advance :) 

Congrats! I also got accepted into both programs and I am trying to decide which one to choose..

What do you want to do after you finish? The focuses of these programs seems quite different - the Pratt one is a traditional HCI/UX program, whereas the NYU one seems pretty experimental and is more about technology + communications + design/arts.

23 hours ago, ₍˄·͈༝·͈˄₎◞ ̑̑ said:

I just got my acceptance yesterday. How long did NYU take to give info about scholarships?

Congrats! How many years ago did you guys get your bachelors? I'm a graduating senior in college 

Hey I'm also in the same boat. I'm a graduating senior who received a scholarship from Pratt, but I'm waiting to hear about funding from NYU ITP. I've been struggling with the decision, but I will most likely to attend Pratt. I'm waiting for all of my decisions to compare them. I believe Pratt has a more structured program for UX, but I enjoyed visiting one of the art shows at ITP.

Edited by crosro

5 hours ago, coolitd said:

Congrats! How many years ago did you guys get your bachelors? I'm a graduating senior in college 

i’m also a graduating senior. i hope they announce funding info soon, although i’m leaning towards a different program. 

4 hours ago, crosro said:

Hey I'm also in the same boat. I'm a graduating senior who received a scholarship from Pratt, but I'm waiting to hear about funding from NYU ITP. I've been struggling with the decision, but I will most likely to attend Pratt. I'm waiting for all of my decisions to compare them. I believe Pratt has a more structured program for UX, but I enjoyed visiting one of the art shows at ITP.

i didn’t apply to pratt’s program as ux isn’t my interest, but i think it’s good to note that the majority of the credits at itp (40 of the 60) are from courses of your choice, so if you want to focus on that, it’s still very doable. i’d suggest looking at the course offerings for both schools and weighing how they fit with your goals and interest. good luck! 

Hi!!! I am in the same boat as well. But i did not apply for ITP coz I know there is no way I will be able to afford it. I applied for IDM program instead and got accepted without scholarship while Pratt awarded me some.  My third choice is the HCI program in London. That would be a very big adventure for me. My goal is still to come back US and work here. Although London is very tempting, it has a lot of challenges. Any way, would love to hear some thoughts and suggestions. Good luck to all! 

8 hours ago, wonderkiki said:

Hi!!! I am in the same boat as well. But i did not apply for ITP coz I know there is no way I will be able to afford it. I applied for IDM program instead and got accepted without scholarship while Pratt awarded me some.  My third choice is the HCI program in London. That would be a very big adventure for me. My goal is still to come back US and work here. Although London is very tempting, it has a lot of challenges. Any way, would love to hear some thoughts and suggestions. Good luck to all! 

Hi, Congrats for your acceptance for both schools! I applied for Pratt and NYU IDM program as well :) But I haven't heard from NYU. Could you please let me know when did you hear from NYU, and when did you applied for them? 

2 hours ago, verybery said:

Hi, Congrats for your acceptance for both schools! I applied for Pratt and NYU IDM program as well :) But I haven't heard from NYU. Could you please let me know when did you hear from NYU, and when did you applied for them? 

i heard from them this past friday, applied on the deadline. from previous years on the results page it looks like acceptances go out in waves. 

Congrats everyone. I also got accepted to both programs with the same situation. I am waiting for the DT program though and seeing how will that go though. Also curious about the funding packing from ITP

11 hours ago, verybery said:

Hi, I applied in Nov last year and heard back from them in early Feb. You can email the program coordinator or the admission team. They should be able to give you a timeline. Good luck! 

On 3/3/2019 at 1:35 PM, juilletmercredi said:

What do you want to do after you finish? The focuses of these programs seems quite different - the Pratt one is a traditional HCI/UX program, whereas the NYU one seems pretty experimental and is more about technology + communications + design/arts.

Thank you for the help :) 
I am a bit into new technology and want to see how I can grow with it (in the sense I am leaning toward NYU ITP), but also very tempted for the direct and very UX-focused courses at Pratt! 

19 hours ago, wonderkiki said:

Same here!! I also applied for NYU IDM and HCI in London too, but still waiting for perhaps the rest of the programs.
In my humble opinion, although I always love London and know that I fit the European culture better from my past study and living experiences in Europe, I still consider the U.S. a better place to study this field given the difficulty of obtaining a working visa in the UK for a foreigner. However, wish you all the luck and hope we all get the best!

24 minutes ago, anniehsinyu said:

hi, have you heard from ITP yet? Or maybe other programs?
Good luck and don't forget to share good news :) 

Not yet :( also no news from other programs I applied. Not sure what are they looking for as I am from tech background but with interests in arts and design. Even if I got in, I probably will think twice with the high cost. Cause I feel if ux and HCI are the main interest. it can be learnt much cheaper with more structured and industry focused programs. 

Hi all, 

I am currently studying information experience design at Pratt. I just want to give you guys an understanding about what it is: the school is one floor. The classes are very ‘library’ focused. Even in my interaction design class we are working on a university library website. It’s a practical program in the sense that it teaches you UX but if you have other options, I really encourage you to explore them. 

Feel free to ask me any questions about the school 

1 hour ago, Shkeptical said:

Hi all, 

I am currently studying information experience design at Pratt. I just want to give you guys an understanding about what it is: the school is one floor. The classes are very ‘library’ focused. Even in my interaction design class we are working on a university library website. It’s a practical program in the sense that it teaches you UX but if you have other options, I really encourage you to explore them. 

Feel free to ask me any questions about the school 

How well does the program prepare you to find work afterwards? Do students find internships easily? It sounds like you would not recommend the program.

I honestly would not recommend it. It seems that some do find jobs after the program! However, very few work or have internships while in the program. Which to me is confusing because NY is one of the major cities for UX opportunities. I started the program in January and started going on a mad-hunt for a job which I was able to secure as a contractor. So you can definitely find work! 

I personally am thinking long and hard for whether I should return next semester. A few other students that I spoke to feel the same (one with almost a full scholarship.) This might be extreme but I want more out of my graduate education. 

To further expand, there is no clear connection between this school and a job. All of the emails on the forums are about library's, there are no fellowships set up for UX. What Pratt can do for you is look over your resume or portfolio but that is about it. 

Edited by Shkeptical

On 3/5/2019 at 11:08 AM, anniehsinyu said:

Same here!! I also applied for NYU IDM and HCI in London too, but still waiting for perhaps the rest of the programs.
In my humble opinion, although I always love London and know that I fit the European culture better from my past study and living experiences in Europe, I still consider the U.S. a better place to study this field given the difficulty of obtaining a working visa in the UK for a foreigner. However, wish you all the luck and hope we all get the best!

On 3/5/2019 at 11:08 AM, anniehsinyu said:

Hi, something went wrong in my previous post. I am not sure what I did but it just got submitted before I wrote anything. LOL 

I was thinking the same. London is very tempting to me but I also feel US is a better place to study this field. But I only have applied for 4 schools. Not a lot to select from. ?

Wish you all the luck too!