Campus Visits 2019 for Political Science

Hello everyone. This thread is meant as a place to share experiences as people go and visit the programs they have been admitted to. What is good about the program? And bad? Which departments are you deciding between after the visits?

4 hours ago, IcedCovfefe said:

Also, this might be a good place to brainstorm questions for meetings with faculty and current students.  What are you all planning on asking about during visits?

This would be helpful. I have no clue what I'm supposed to ask or talk about in any of my meetings.

For me, the visits will be all about interacting with the graduate students. Do they get along, do they have a life outside the program, what are their living conditions like...etc. In addition, I'm looking to get a general vibe of the campus/surrounding city. Is it somewhere I can see myself living?

When it comes to the faculty, I am expecting them to be selling me instead of the other way around. 

1 hour ago, irgradcafe said:

How would you guys interact with the faculty / students if you’re more or less sure that you won’t end up going there?

I would, and this is just my preference, not go for the visit at all and instead give up my spot such that those waitlisted might receive offers.

12 minutes ago, Theory007 said:

I would, and this is just my preference, not go for the visit at all and instead give up my spot such that those waitlisted might receive offers.

I would if I hadn't booked the ticket and arranged everything with the faculty. The problem is I knew I got another offer only after I arranged the school visit with them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/26/2019 at 8:24 AM, dot1325 said:

Those going to Duke's prospective students' weekend- have you received a schedule or any other information? I haven't yet and it's starting to stress me out ?

When is the visit? If you went already - how did it go?