Told me I was accepted ... and then followed up to say I'm actually waitlisted!

Calmly_Waiting

Brutal. Had a call with a professor for a potential PhD program earlier today to discuss whether I was still interested in the program (I am) and at the end of the call, she said a letter with official offer details would be coming my way soon. I only applied to 3 programs (1 reject/1 pending) so this would have been my first accept. Then a couple hours later, I received an email where the professor clarified that I am actually not accepted - just on the waitlist. Very sad. How to respond without sounding crushed?

Currently going through something similar. A professor told me she would recommend me for admission (but was definitely clear it was just a recommendation to the adcom, not an offer of admission). Few days later got a response telling me I was waitlisted. When I told her she said, "good, i think you have a good chance of getting in"

I think some schools just use waitlists differently. I know some programs, a waitlist is basically a second round admit and just used as a safety measure not to over admit students beyond funding allocation. I would keep hope. I have been responding to my waitlists as "Thank you for your consideration. While I have not yet been admitted to XYZ program, I remain very interested in conducting my graduate studies at ABC university. Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide or if there are updates to my application status. Best regards, Calmly_Waiting." 

Keep hope! You are not out of the running yet. I am currently sitting on 11 rejections and 4 waitlists. I understand your pain! 

On the same boat. Prof said he recommended me thrice to the admission committee. Haven't heard back from them yet. May be on waitlist, maybe rejected. 

Applied only at 3 places, all more ambitious than this one. Now looking to apply in european universities so that I do not have to waste another year.

2 hours ago, rohan5141 said:

On the same boat. Prof said he recommended me thrice to the admission committee. Haven't heard back from them yet.

I've been rejected from a university with a professor who said this.

20 hours ago, Calmly_Waiting said:

Brutal. Had a call with a professor for a potential PhD program earlier today to discuss whether I was still interested in the program (I am) and at the end of the call, she said a letter with official offer details would be coming my way soon. I only applied to 3 programs (1 reject/1 pending) so this would have been my first accept. Then a couple hours later, I received an email where the professor clarified that I am actually not accepted - just on the waitlist. Very sad. How to respond without sounding crushed?

I'm really sorry to hear that! As much as you may be upset or even angry, just reply back that you happy you are being considered and look forward to hearing from them again.

And I see a day has passed, so you probably responded. Did go well?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Calmly_Waiting said:

Happy update to this thread - The POI got back in touch today to say I would be receiving an official letter of admission soon!

Bust out the happy dance! Congratulations to you!!! 

23 hours ago, Calmly_Waiting said:

Happy update to this thread - The POI got back in touch today to say I would be receiving an official letter of admission soon!

I guess those new grey hairs are worth it, eh?  Unless you got an email shortly later that said "I meant rejection letter...my bad".

Edited by Ternwild