Columbia University Data Science Master 2019 Fall Application/Decision

oceanbeats

@DataWK Same here. Haven't received an interview or a decision back. So nervous. I dont know whether they are going to send out the interview/decision for a second wave~ Becuase I have seen that they give people a pretty short time for response to accept an offer, and it seems last few years that they are sending out offer in a couple waves. Finger crossed -

Hi all, I just called the DSI admission. They told me they are sending out decisions in the next 2 weeks. Regarding the interview, they did not answer clearly for me. Sounds like not all applicants are interviewed but they are still under reviewing process and is still sending out interview requests ... not sure whether it is helpful, but at least we still have some hope... it’s been a long process waiting 

2 minutes ago, oceanbeats said:

Hi all, I just called the DSI admission. They told me they are sending out decisions in the next 2 weeks. Regarding the interview, they did not answer clearly for me. Sounds like not all applicants are interviewed but they are still under reviewing process and is still sending out interview requests ... not sure whether it is helpful, but at least we still have some hope... it’s been a long process waiting 

Thanks for sharing this with all of us and good luck!

Asked via email if it's possible for a status update in lieu of the deadlines for offers from other schools. I got the following generic response:

Thank you for your interest in Columbia Engineering. Please be advised, the application review process may take several weeks or longer and this is normal due to the high number of applications received and the selectivity of the program. The application reviews are also strictly confidential.  We are not privy to the details regarding the status or any other aspect of your application while it's under review. 

We appreciate the time and effort you spent in preparing your application and want to assure you that the faculty admissions committee is working very hard to give each application careful attention. We will contact you via email as soon as a decision is entered on your application.
Edited by nyan_cat
font increase

I emailed them too. And got an automatic response. This wait time is Killing me.... I am kind of losing hope now. Have deadlines coming up for accepting another program. Here is what said in the response 

[AUTOMATIC REPLY]

Thank you for your email!

• Please note that the Fall 2019 admissions review is underway. Decisions are expected to go out in early April. 
  • Prospective Students: If you are contacting the Data Science Institute regarding the MS in Data Science or Certification of Professional Achievement in Data Sciences program, we encourage you to sign up for an upcoming Online Information Session. These sessions will include an overview of Columbia University, student life, the admissions application process, as well as Columbia Engineering's graduate level data science academic programs; Certification of Professional Achievement in Data Sciences and Master of Science in Data Science. 
  • We also encourage you to review the extensive FAQ page that addresses many of the most commonly asked questions. 
  • For technical application issues, please contact the SEAS Graduate Student Affairs office: seasgradmit@columbia.edu.

2 hours ago, nyan_cat said:

Asked via email if it's possible for a status update in lieu of the deadlines for offers from other schools. I got the following generic response:

Thank you for your interest in Columbia Engineering. Please be advised, the application review process may take several weeks or longer and this is normal due to the high number of applications received and the selectivity of the program. The application reviews are also strictly confidential.  We are not privy to the details regarding the status or any other aspect of your application while it's under review. 

We appreciate the time and effort you spent in preparing your application and want to assure you that the faculty admissions committee is working very hard to give each application careful attention. We will contact you via email as soon as a decision is entered on your application.

Thanks for sharing this. I am quite anxious these days. Good luck to all of us.

1 hour ago, oceanbeats said:

I emailed them too. And got an automatic response. This wait time is Killing me.... I am kind of losing hope now. Have deadlines coming up for accepting another program. Here is what said in the response 

[AUTOMATIC REPLY]

Thank you for your email!

• Please note that the Fall 2019 admissions review is underway. Decisions are expected to go out in early April. 
  • Prospective Students: If you are contacting the Data Science Institute regarding the MS in Data Science or Certification of Professional Achievement in Data Sciences program, we encourage you to sign up for an upcoming Online Information Session. These sessions will include an overview of Columbia University, student life, the admissions application process, as well as Columbia Engineering's graduate level data science academic programs; Certification of Professional Achievement in Data Sciences and Master of Science in Data Science. 
  • We also encourage you to review the extensive FAQ page that addresses many of the most commonly asked questions. 
  • For technical application issues, please contact the SEAS Graduate Student Affairs office: seasgradmit@columbia.edu.

Appreciate for sharing the information.

People who received an admit or interview invite. First of all congratulations! One small question, when exactly did you guys submit your application?

Also for the admits, by when do you have to respond to the offer?

I have not heard anything from Columbia so any info from you guys is my only hope :(

1 hour ago, Shreyashi said:

People who received an admit or interview invite. First of all congratulations! One small question, when exactly did you guys submit your application?

Also for the admits, by when do you have to respond to the offer?

I have not heard anything from Columbia so any info from you guys is my only hope :(

I applied on 2/15. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

hello all congrats on your decisions and hope you're enjoying school! reaching out because i'm applying for the masters program for Fall 2020.

I was wondering what the interview was like? I know some schools (like USF) ask technical questions in their interview. Is Columbia similar? Much appreciated!