Please help! I have no idea where to go!

Hi all! I have heard back from all of my grad programs and am really torn on what to do. I currently go to school in the DC area but am from the Boston area. I'd really love to live and work in Boston one day so the programs there are really appealing (but scarily expensive). On the other hand, I have some programs that are comparably priced in the DC area where my brother lives and my friends from undergrad will stay after we graduate. I don't want to be in debt forever and if I got a good GA position at my alma mater, UMD, I would consider going here but I also want to change. I'm so torn because I love both areas and there are pros and cons at all my schools. Any advice on the programs (in my signature) or on how to afford grad school would be really great. Thanks!

I completely understand where you're coming from. A lot of clinicians I work with tell me to go to the cheapest school! No matter where you go, you'll come out with a degree. That being said, I can also understand why you want to choose a particular program based on location (which essentially comes down to externships). My internal dialogue is a disaster ("I have been in Boston for 7 years and have great friends here... BU and MGH are excellent schools but that means I have to be in Boston even longer... I want to find a new city/area to explore!") and I'm having a hard time settling down with it lol.  I'd love to go back to Boston one day also, but I think I need a change for a few years. Grad school is only 2 years too! So your CFY can be at any area you didn't go to.

Do you have a specific focus that you want to do in speech (i.e. medical, voice, research)? I think that would help narrow down your options (i.e. BU is great for fluency and voice, Emerson for school, MGH for medical/voice, Pitt for medical/voice + no on-campus clinic). I'm happy to discuss Boston schools (plus Pitt and GW) with you further! It's a tough decision, especially when you've got a lot of great options to filter through. :)

In terms of affording grad school, that GA position sounds like an amazing start! That's what I'd do, plus little jobs on the side like babysitting. I'll have to think of more!

Edited by BioCook
Move things around

If you really want to settle down in a certain area you might be able to network better and forge connections with your placements, plus you wouldn't have to worry about licensing requirements in MA. That being said, if there's a huge cost difference in programs, I would just go with the cheapest one (as long as it's a decent program--good reviews from current students, good Praxis pass rate, etc). I'm facing a mountain of debt when I graduate, which I accept and can live with, but I also accept the fact that I might not be buying a house or expensive vacations anytime soon! Boston's also pretty expensive, so any money you save by going to a cheaper program will help you to more easily afford your expenses farther on down the road.

1 hour ago, BioCook said:

I completely understand where you're coming from. A lot of clinicians I work with tell me to go to the cheapest school! No matter where you go, you'll come out with a degree. That being said, I can also understand why you want to choose a particular program based on location (which essentially comes down to externships). My internal dialogue is a disaster ("I have been in Boston for 7 years and have great friends here... BU and MGH are excellent schools but that means I have to be in Boston even longer... I want to find a new city/area to explore!") and I'm having a hard time settling down with it lol.  I'd love to go back to Boston one day also, but I think I need a change for a few years. Grad school is only 2 years too! So your CFY can be at any area you didn't go to.

Do you have a specific focus that you want to do in speech (i.e. medical, voice, research)? I think that would help narrow down your options (i.e. BU is great for fluency and voice, Emerson for school, MGH for medical/voice, Pitt for medical/voice + no on-campus clinic). I'm happy to discuss Boston schools (plus Pitt and GW) with you further! It's a tough decision, especially when you've got a lot of great options to filter through. :)

In terms of affording grad school, that GA position sounds like an amazing start! That's what I'd do, plus little jobs on the side like babysitting. I'll have to think of more!

I think I'm leaning towards more of an outpatient setting with adults! I'd love to use my clinical externships at a Boston program to network for a CF and future employment in Boston but also I could always work there after grad school once some students move away... I want to go to a cheap school but at the same time I don't want to sacrifice my happiness or my experiences for that price tag. 

17 minutes ago, bibliophile222 said:

If you really want to settle down in a certain area you might be able to network better and forge connections with your placements, plus you wouldn't have to worry about licensing requirements in MA. That being said, if there's a huge cost difference in programs, I would just go with the cheapest one (as long as it's a decent program--good reviews from current students, good Praxis pass rate, etc). I'm facing a mountain of debt when I graduate, which I accept and can live with, but I also accept the fact that I might not be buying a house or expensive vacations anytime soon! Boston's also pretty expensive, so any money you save by going to a cheaper program will help you to more easily afford your expenses farther on down the road.

Yeah I was thinking about the networking aspect too! Since all my schools have good Praxis pass rates and employment rates, I am not too concerned about getting a job. I might end up just going to a cheaper program but it's so difficult to go to a program just because of the cost and turn down offers from schools I've dreamed about going to!

6 hours ago, Laurenf131 said:

I think I'm leaning towards more of an outpatient setting with adults! I'd love to use my clinical externships at a Boston program to network for a CF and future employment in Boston but also I could always work there after grad school once some students move away... I want to go to a cheap school but at the same time I don't want to sacrifice my happiness or my experiences for that price tag. 

Yeah I was thinking about the networking aspect too! Since all my schools have good Praxis pass rates and employment rates, I am not too concerned about getting a job. I might end up just going to a cheaper program but it's so difficult to go to a program just because of the cost and turn down offers from schools I've dreamed about going to!

It sounds to me like it's your gut decision battling your more practical side, but only you can ultimately make that decision. When it comes right down to it, I guess the question is which missed opportunity you would end up regretting more, and if the sacrifice in either direction is truly worth it. What will make you happier, more successful, and more fulfilled? 

I’m interested in working with adults, in voice/fluency, and with transgender individuals and I just accepted my spot at Emerson because I love the culture there and they offered a scholarship. BU and MGH are just too expensive, and I’ve been assured by multiple working SLPs that attending one school over another based on reputation for adult vs school vs medical is just not as important a factor as everyone thinks. I think finding a program where you feel you can be successful and graduate with the least amount of debt possible is far more valuable. Before seeking outside advise, I was so excited about MGH and making medical connections, but so concerned about the cost. Making the shift to a Emerson has been such a relief, as I know I will get an excellent education and have relationships with my professors and cohort, and emerge ready to focus on work and finding the setting I want to be in rather than my paycheck and paying off debt. 

Hi! I'm in a similar position... I have no idea where to go! I'm from California and was accepted to Boston University and TC Columbia, both with scholarships. I really like the idea of living in NY and going to school at Columbia (especially because they have a bilingual certificate and I am bilingual, with the intentions of being a bilingual SLP). I don't know exactly who I want to work with, but I'm thinking I eventually want to live in CA and work in a private practice (mostly with early intervention, but also with some adults). I've heard that BU has a more prestigious program, and it shows on the US World & News Rankings in which BU is #12 and Columbia is #30. However, I don't want to go to a school solely based on rankings. I feel like my gut is telling me to go to BU, but I worry I'd regret not going to Columbia.

I got into San Diego State, but I think I'm interested in an adventure across the country, and I know that BU has a stronger program than SDSU. 

Please help!

Edited by SLP2B?

2 hours ago, SLP2B? said:

Hi! I'm in a similar position... I have no idea where to go! I'm from California and was accepted to Boston University and TC Columbia, both with scholarships. I really like the idea of living in NY and going to school at Columbia (especially because they have a bilingual certificate and I am bilingual, with the intentions of being a bilingual SLP). I don't know exactly who I want to work with, but I'm thinking I eventually want to live in CA and work in a private practice (mostly with early intervention, but also with some adults). I've heard that BU has a more prestigious program, and it shows on the US World & News Rankings in which BU is #12 and Columbia is #30. However, I don't want to go to a school solely based on rankings. I feel like my gut is telling me to go to BU, but I worry I'd regret not going to Columbia.

I got into San Diego State, but I think I'm interested in an adventure across the country, and I know that BU has a stronger program than SDSU. 

Please help!

I'm a New Englander born and raised, so I'm gonna say that Boston is way cooler than NYC! ?

That bit of silly regional pride aside, it sounds like you're really leaning towards Columbia. A difference of 18 spots in the ranking is pretty minuscule-- #30 is still pretty damn impressive! If there's no huge difference in cost, go with the one you want most and don't worry about the rankings--they really don't matter anyways!

Just promise me you won't become a Yankees fan.  ?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still struggling to decide on a program! I'm most seriously considering UMass (I'm from MA so that state school tuition is tempting), Emerson College (the cheapest Boston program), and the University of Maryland (if I get funding which is possible but could be unlikely). If I got funding from UMD, I would go since I have friends and family in the area, I went to undergrad there, and the funding would make it really cheap. There are still a few GAs that have not been accepted and I have an interview for one outside the department tomorrow. If I don't know before the 15th, I would have to make my decision assuming I don't have funding. 

I love Boston so much and would love to network there and do my clinicals in their great healthcare facilities. Do you think that is worth the extra $30k compared to UMass since I really want to work in Boston one day? Or should I just suck it up and hope that I can somehow get clinicals in Boston even though I go to UMass which is two hours away and save the money?

I'm a very practical person and since SLPs don't make $100k/year, I'm wary of going to more expensive programs which is why I'm turning down MGH and probably BU even though it physically pains me. I don't want to be paying nearly 20% of my salary towards student loans when I'm 35.

I know I'd be happy in Boston or the DC area but would not really like Amherst where UMass is. 

Please help me decide because I'm seriously struggling and the deadline is so soon!

I’m just curious where people in this forum will be attending! I’m from the New York area, and got accepted to Brooklyn College, which is a very cheap CUNY. But part of me wants to leave and go to Boston University, my only issue is the price. Boston University would be an additional 100k :( thoughts about either of these programs and if it’s worth the cost? 

1 hour ago, Laurenf131 said:

I'm still struggling to decide on a program! I'm most seriously considering UMass (I'm from MA so that state school tuition is tempting), Emerson College (the cheapest Boston program), and the University of Maryland (if I get funding which is possible but could be unlikely). If I got funding from UMD, I would go since I have friends and family in the area, I went to undergrad there, and the funding would make it really cheap. There are still a few GAs that have not been accepted and I have an interview for one outside the department tomorrow. If I don't know before the 15th, I would have to make my decision assuming I don't have funding. 

I love Boston so much and would love to network there and do my clinicals in their great healthcare facilities. Do you think that is worth the extra $30k compared to UMass since I really want to work in Boston one day? Or should I just suck it up and hope that I can somehow get clinicals in Boston even though I go to UMass which is two hours away and save the money?

I'm a very practical person and since SLPs don't make $100k/year, I'm wary of going to more expensive programs which is why I'm turning down MGH and probably BU even though it physically pains me. I don't want to be paying nearly 20% of my salary towards student loans when I'm 35.

I know I'd be happy in Boston or the DC area but would not really like Amherst where UMass is. 

Please help me decide because I'm seriously struggling and the deadline is so soon!

UMass definitely has a good program--I would have gone if they'd accepted me, both for quality and since it was 10 minutes from my house. ? 

I know Amherst doesn't have the allure of a big city, but I lived in the area for years and really enjoyed it. Northampton is a great art town, and the area has a ton of good restaurants (I'm a wannabe foodie, so that's all that really matters to me ? ). If you really need that big city vibe or are on the more conservative side of the political spectrum then you may not like it, but it may have more to offer than you think!

14 minutes ago, bibliophile222 said:

UMass definitely has a good program--I would have gone if they'd accepted me, both for quality and since it was 10 minutes from my house. ? 

I know Amherst doesn't have the allure of a big city, but I lived in the area for years and really enjoyed it. Northampton is a great art town, and the area has a ton of good restaurants (I'm a wannabe foodie, so that's all that really matters to me ? ). If you really need that big city vibe or are on the more conservative side of the political spectrum then you may not like it, but it may have more to offer than you think!

It's a good program but I do really need that big city vibe. I did a year at UConn, which is also isolated, and I truly hated it so I'm not that interested in going back to a more rural area. That being said, it's good to know that there are some cool places to visit nearby and good restaurants! 

On 4/10/2019 at 8:32 PM, Laurenf131 said:

It's a good program but I do really need that big city vibe. I did a year at UConn, which is also isolated, and I truly hated it so I'm not that interested in going back to a more rural area. That being said, it's good to know that there are some cool places to visit nearby and good restaurants! 

I feel like I’m in a somewhat similar situation as you — considering UMASS highly but I definitely prefer the city to the Amherst size community. It also seems like the better financial options do not equate to the rich research experiences at other universities. Also, I’ve been sort of a nomad so it appears I have no in state tuition benefits anywhere... 

Honestly, I didn’t even apply to MGH or BU because of the cost—they were both significantly higher than any other program. My offers are at UMASS, Temple, SLU, USF, FIU and still waiting on the waitlist at UW. I was feeling confident that going to the school that is the cheapest was the best option, especially since I do still have loans from undergrad. Going to the cheapest option is just about what every SLP has told me—but perhaps I’m talking to people with different goals than my own. However, the two more expensive offers seem to have more of what I’m looking at: bilingual opportunities including a clinical experience abroad and aphasia research & lab. I am now second guessing myself and thinking it would be a huge mistake to choose somewhere that doesn’t have the rich research component I’m looking for. I am interested in a thesis and want to possibly get my PhD as well. I want to be in an aphasia research lab and look at fMRIs and be apart of more hands on research rather then surveys and questionnaires... Do I compromise for now and take the lower cost with more questionable opportunities for research? Or do I put myself into a hole of debt for more likely or guaranteed research opportunities? 

(Also have a GA offer for about $12k in tuition and $10k in stipend. Potential offer to be fully funded at another university. Potential opportunities for funding year 2 at a couple places with no year 1 funding offers. Potential that if someone doesn’t accept their offer at Temple that I may be offered a $10k scholarship there)

Edited by rose2019

5 hours ago, rose2019 said:

I feel like I’m in a somewhat similar situation as you — considering UMASS highly but I definitely prefer the city to the Amherst size community. It also seems like the better financial options do not equate to the rich research experiences at other universities. Also, I’ve been sort of a nomad so it appears I have no in state tuition benefits anywhere... 

Honestly, I didn’t even apply to MGH or BU because of the cost—they were both significantly higher than any other program. My offers are at UMASS, Temple, SLU, USF, FIU and still waiting on the waitlist at UW. I was feeling confident that going to the school that is the cheapest was the best option, especially since I do still have loans from undergrad. Going to the cheapest option is just about what every SLP has told me—but perhaps I’m talking to people with different goals than my own. However, the two more expensive offers seem to have more of what I’m looking at: bilingual opportunities including a clinical experience abroad and aphasia research & lab. I am now second guessing myself and thinking it would be a huge mistake to choose somewhere that doesn’t have the rich research component I’m looking for. I am interested in a thesis and want to possibly get my PhD as well. I want to be in an aphasia research lab and look at fMRIs and be apart of more hands on research rather then surveys and questionnaires... Do I compromise for now and take the lower cost with more questionable opportunities for research? Or do I put myself into a hole of debt for more likely or guaranteed research opportunities? 

(Also have a GA offer for about $12k in tuition and $10k in stipend. Potential offer to be fully funded at another university. Potential opportunities for funding year 2 at a couple places with no year 1 funding offers. Potential that if someone doesn’t accept their offer at Temple that I may be offered a $10k scholarship there)

It depends on the school, of course, but I don't think big-city schools are the only ones with rich research opportunities, it depends more on the faculty. I'm in a rural state in a town of 40,000 people, but there are many faculty members in my program involved in research-- I'm an RA and am participating in a couple projects. I was also just walking by the research labs the other day and someone with electrodes on their head! Faculty profiles will give you better information regarding what kind of research is being done and how involved it is.

That being said, if research is really important to you and a school has the exact research experience you're looking for, take that opportunity unless the cost difference is astronomical. If you would regret not going there for the rest of your life, then do what you need to do to be happy and fulfilled.

I wasn’t trying to say that big city schools are the only ones with rich research opportunities, I just meant I’d rather live in a city than a rural area. I meant to highlight that the cheaper options I have for school are not the ones with rich research opportunities. (Unrelated to rural vs  city topic) 

The cost difference is significant though: $60-80k vs. $40k (honestly all of which are not comfortable numbers)... 

Edited by rose2019

Hi! I know it’s tough to make a descion. I’m planning on going to a pretty expensive school that hasn’t given me any funding but many current students told me funding is a lot easier after the first semester or two when you’ve got your ‘foot in the door’ (something departments don’t advertise). I know it doesn’t give much confidence but after talking to a bunch of people from different schools as well, it really does seem like a lot of the more expensive programs function that way. I have a friend who got no financial assistance first year but an almost full assistantship her second year at an expensive private school. So it’s very possible finance won’t be a setback for you at your dream school.  Wish you all the best!