The real waiting game is once you've already been accepted....

John Stamos

I don't plan on making any decisions on my PhD choice until exactly April 10th, however, I think the absolute killer is waiting from April to August. IMO it will be way worse than waiting out November-March from the acceptances. 

Even with taking a month earlier in July to quit my job, for those of us who currently have full-time jobs with bills and rents to pay, we kind of have to stay in our jobs for a bit to pay things. There is now ZERO reasons for me to give two craps about my current job knowing I will be leaving it for the PhD in August. Any work that I start I won't have time to even see take off so there's no motivation to do any new projects. The fact that i can't also just quit now and do something fun due to bills and rent is just going make April-June absolutely brutal and boring, this is even taking into consideration that I'm working the bare minimum to not get fired.  /end rant  

Once I figure out where I'm going, my plan is to take several months off from work before school starts to just go camping, read books, do volunteer work, etc. (Although I can absolutely see myself getting cabin fever from such a drastic life style change.) 

8 hours ago, Dwar said:

hey can you ask your wife to give me some "help" with getting into USC? 

I hear Aunt Becky is familiar with how that all works 

Oh man that joke is gonna get old fast.  I can already sense it.

10 hours ago, John Stamos said:

I don't plan on making any decisions on my PhD choice until exactly April 10th, however, I think the absolute killer is waiting from April to August. IMO it will be way worse than waiting out November-March from the acceptances. 

Even with taking a month earlier in July to quit my job, for those of us who currently have full-time jobs with bills and rents to pay, we kind of have to stay in our jobs for a bit to pay things. There is now ZERO reasons for me to give two craps about my current job knowing I will be leaving it for the PhD in August. Any work that I start I won't have time to even see take off so there's no motivation to do any new projects. The fact that i can't also just quit now and do something fun due to bills and rent is just going make April-June absolutely brutal and boring, this is even taking into consideration that I'm working the bare minimum to not get fired.  /end rant  

I feel the same way. My job was already nearly unbearable, hence the grad school applications, and now time is going to drag even more. But I also feel like all the work bullshit is going to roll off me a little easier since I’ll only be there a few more months!