University of Texas at Dallas—Housing Thoughts?

Hello all!

This question goes out to anyone who knows the Dallas area, and anyone who will be attending UTD Fall 2019 (CONGRATS!). I am a Northwest girl (though I have traveled quite a bit). I have never stepped foot outside that huge Dallas Fort-Worth airport to see what the area is like, so I need help to know where to look for housing and what areas will be fun to explore. I applied to this program because of the program itself, and am really excited to be able to accept my admissions offer thanks to an in-state tuition scholarship, but I am definitely still worried about how to be smart about living in a totally different city where traffic is apparently a nightmare and there are TORNADOS. Haha. Terrifying though! 

So to anyone who has experience there—where do people live on a student budget? Can I keep rent under 800 per month? I don’t love apartment complexes and have always chosen to instead rent in a converted house or little cute downtown apartment. Is that possible in Dallas? Is it easy to find roommates within the program?

Bonus questions: Does every place have air conditioning? Which are the cuter/more walkable areas of the city versus which places are the most convenient for getting to both downtown Dallas and the Richardson campus? 

Thanks for any ideas!! 

Totally going to be stalking this thread. I have never been to Dallas and I'm attending UTD in the fall, so I'm trying to figure out where to live and I'm hoping to find some roommates as well. I never lived off campus during undergrad but given the commute from the main campus to Callier Dallas it's looking like getting an apartment is the way to go. Congratulations on your acceptance! :)

When I visited, they told me that a lot of UTD SLP students live somewhere called “The Village.” I’m sure you could find roommates in the program. I looked at the complex and apartments range from $900-$2500ish. so you could definitely find something to share. 

Yeah I have heard that, but also heard of cockroach infestations in those apartments. Maybe it’s no longer an issue, but it is an expensive apartment if that’s the case. I see places that are more around $750... which would be so nice. 

• 1 month later...

HI! I'm currently a student at UT-Dallas (about to graduate in May, yay!!). I've loved my time in the program! 

First of all, the UTD program is phenomenal, and congrats OP on getting in-state tuition, (I was in the same boat). 
As far as living, the program is weird because you may end up with practicums at the Richardson location, which is about 30 minutes north of the Callier Dallas location. The Callier Dallas location is also where ALL of your graduate classes will be. 
I highly suggest living closer to Callier Dallas for ease of that, and then if you get a practicum at Richardson, find people to carpool with. It worked great for me and I made some of my closest friends that way.

I live in the Medical District (about 6 minutes from Callier Dallas), and I've enjoyed it. I live off Maple Ave and my apartment is currently $1667 a month for a 2/2 that I share with a roommate who is also in the program. This seems to be about lower average for apartments. All utilities added up (electric, water, internet) I probably pay about $870ish a month. 

Someone from the UTD COMD Office will probably send a email asking if you want to have your info sent out if you're looking for a roommate or anything like that, and suggest a few areas nearby people typically live.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me and I wouldn't mind sharing my Facebook for other tips and advice!! :)

Email the comd email and ask for the apartment list, it goes over areas to avoid and places other students have lived.  There are no Tornados in Dallas I thought the same thing coming from the west coast the weather was pretty mild.

There are totally little granny flats idk how to find them but other girls did so they’re there!  It’s such a good program suck up the niceness I’m in my CF and miss the warm faculty and professionalism a lot lol.

Medical district can be sketchy read online reviews!  I recommend the village area it’s in between both locations and feels WAY safer!  Or live with a roommate or closer to the turtle creek area. The campus itself is very safe.

Have fun there’s lots of fun things to explore!  Klyde Warren Park has free yoga classes and events.  The program is balanced enough to socialize frequently have fun!!!

I currently attend UTD and work in a lab at Callier!  The commute can get rough sometimes so if I were you I would move closer to the medical district. I have lived on campus my whole undergraduate career (graduating in May) and I would not recommend it. The buildings are falling apart, maintenance doesn't fix anything, and they always raise rent. So definitely find a place off campus:) 

I love everything about UTDallas! So congrats:) 

There are always concerts and other fun things to do down in Deep Ellum, make sure to check it out:) 

As far as tornados, I wouldn't say there are NO tornados because a couple of years ago Rowlett was hit pretty badly. But I would not spend your time worrying about it because it is a rare occasion. 

Also, I am pretty sure most places have air conditioning. It can get humid and hot in the summer, so people tend to depend on AC haha.

• 1 month later...

Hi! My roommate situation just fell through so I am going to be needing a roommate to live with me at Maple District Lofts in the medical district in a 2bed/2bath, washer dryer included, approximately $1650 (so splitting 50/50 would be around $725 per person) and this is without utilities, which would probably run about $100 total including electricity, water, and WiFi. I toured the place and it is amazing. They have a great gym, exercise classes included, an amazing pool (the apartment is pool view too I believe), parking included, and resident activities all the time. If anyone is interested I can send pics and we can be in contact! 

On 4/26/2019 at 1:36 PM, hlr20 said:

I currently attend UTD and work in a lab at Callier!  The commute can get rough sometimes so if I were you I would move closer to the medical district. I have lived on campus my whole undergraduate career (graduating in May) and I would not recommend it. The buildings are falling apart, maintenance doesn't fix anything, and they always raise rent. So definitely find a place off campus:) 

I love everything about UTDallas! So congrats:) 

There are always concerts and other fun things to do down in Deep Ellum, make sure to check it out:) 

As far as tornados, I wouldn't say there are NO tornados because a couple of years ago Rowlett was hit pretty badly. But I would not spend your time worrying about it because it is a rare occasion. 

Also, I am pretty sure most places have air conditioning. It can get humid and hot in the summer, so people tend to depend on AC haha.

Exactly regarding the tornadoes. I was just in Denton the last week of May for TWU kickoff week for the distant SLP program and there was a ‘nader outbreak. Our prof Dr Mehta (UTD grad) just kept going, as we were in the best location in the building for that weather. Congratulations on your acceptance OP! I’ve had friends who went through UTD and they lived close to Med District and most had a roommate, which was awesome if one doesn’t have a car and the roomie does.