In State tuition and FAFSA

Hey guys,

I was wondering how qualifying for in-state tuition works? I see people posting about how they qualify for it their second year. But I thought you had to live in the state for a year, and work, not be a student in order to qualify for in state tuition? So how are you getting around it?

Also, I still don't completely understand FAFSA. I applied and got it. But after I graduate, do I have to pay back my award?

I was super fortunate in undergrad in that my parents paid for my tuition. But I am in charge of paying for graduate school, and don't really understand how to go about it.

Thanks for the help!

After your first year you can ask the university to re-evaluate your residency. Different states have different rules and then each individual university also has their own criteria for determining in-state or out-of-state tuition.  I would check with each school individually. Some places are more relaxed with how they enforce the rules and just require you show evidence of domicile in the state for one year prior to the semester you are requesting the re-evaluation for (paycheck, proof of address, state drivers license, etc). Others say that if you were enrolled full-time during the first year than automatically it means your primary reason for being in the state is education and they will not grant you in-state tuition even if you have been living there for one year. I'm not sure I would bank on this unless I was really confident I knew how that school handled residency reclassification. 

Edited by scparker14

10 hours ago, catslp93 said:

Also, I still don't completely understand FAFSA. I applied and got it. But after I graduate, do I have to pay back my award?

I was super fortunate in undergrad in that my parents paid for my tuition. But I am in charge of paying for graduate school, and don't really understand how to go about it.

Thanks for the help!

Unfortunately grad students can't get any grants (free money) through FAFSA, it's all loans that need to be paid back. You might get a scholarship or GA position through your school. Some schools offer a decent amount of funding, others don't. The good news is that since you don't have any undergrad debt, you might get off fairly easily financially (compared to most SLP grads, at least).

It's going to be dependent on the state you attend graduate school in about residency. My state school in Illinois for example required that you live hear at least 6 months have proof of residency (drivers license and apartment lease), copies of utility bills and filling out an application at the school. It was very easy and it's saving me an additional amount of money. Someone from my financial aid office made me aware of applying for instate residency. I wouldn't have even known unless someone told me.