Multiple graduate students in a program with my interests -- good or bad?

Hi all, I have a question as someone looking ahead to applying to English PhD programs in the coming Fall! When researching programs, I have often looked through the departments' current grad students' profiles. My project stands at the intersection of two subfields. Several programs I'm interested have one (or occasionally two) faculty who are working directly at this intersection, as well as another couple faculty working in each of the two subfields of interest but not combining them. That said, I've noticed some programs seem to have a small handful of active graduate students currently who seem to be taking on projects that combine my two subfields of interest.

How do people think I should read this in terms of assessing "fit"? When I see that a school already has some graduate students doing work directly related to mine, is that a good sign of "fit" because it means that the program is open to supporting people like me? Or, is it a sign that they may be "maxed out" on support in my subfields and therefore especially unlikely to take me, because like I said, most schools don't have a ton of faculty in either of my subfields of interest, let alone doing work at their intersections? I know it's always a crapshoot, but I am trying to be as strategic as possible. Thanks for any input!

Another thing to consider: When I was applying to programs I had similar anxieties about one student seemingly combining two fields in the same way that I want to do. But when I emailed them to ask them a few (unrelated) questions and mentioned our similar interests, they told me that their profile hadn't been updated since they started the program. So the info stated on the website was a bit outdated, as their research project had taken a different shape since then. So. I wouldn't stress too much about it -- projects change. Yours likely will, too. 

I'd love to hear what people have to say about this as well. There's a soon-to-be fourth-year PhD student at the program that is strongest in my areas who is seemingly doing exactly what I'd like to do and I've also been unsure of whether this is a good sign or a sign to stay away because they won't want another version of him.

Edited by Indecisive Poet

5 hours ago, Indecisive Poet said:

I'd love to hear what people have to say about this as well. There's a soon-to-be fourth-year PhD student at the program that is strongest in my areas who is seemingly doing exactly what I'd like to do and I've also been unsure of whether this is a good sign or a sign to stay away because they won't want another version of him.

Contact the person.

It's very positive. We have this going on in my program now with a few different subfields. It often means that the program is trying to create programmatic emphases that showcase particular faculty. It might also just mean that a particular faculty member has spent a few seasons on the adcom. 

As a sort of lone wolf in my program in terms of interests as my work doesn't overlap substantially with anyone else's, it can feel a bit isolating. I'm a bit envious of people who can form clusters and share reading lists and things. I mean, everyone is still my friend and all, but when you share a subfield you can share more professionally and intellectually.

Also, you're so early on and your project is so protean that by the time you defend your prospectus you might be in a totally different subfield.