Balancing Research Assistantship and academic work

jchen25

I'm going to enter my first year of graduate school at Penn State Fall 2019 and have just been offered a Research Assistantship that will begin then as well. It will be approximately 20 hours/week. I just wanted some perspectives or past experiences that people have had in regards to balancing school and work.

Thank you!

36 minutes ago, jchen25 said:

I'm going to enter my first year of graduate school at Penn State Fall 2019 and have just been offered a Research Assistantship that will begin then as well. It will be approximately 20 hours/week. I just wanted some perspectives or past experiences that people have had in regards to balancing school and work.

Thank you!

I will also be a new RA/PhD students and in order to balance it all, I chose my classes to be two days of the week so I can then focus on research the other 3 days instead of having to go back and forth between the two. I know this may be hard to do sometimes, but this is my strategy.

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest I still haven’t found an ideal way to balance all of my responsibilities (I’m a TA and and RA), but one thing I have been doing is using Trello to keep track of all my projects and tasks, and then plan out my tasks at the beginning of every week. I also use an app called Toggl to keep track of how many hours I’m spending on my RA and TA work. I find having set tasks is less overwhelming to my brain, instead of saying “now spend 5 hours doing this” I can focus on accomplishing something and I’m more productive. Then timing the tasks allows me to make sure I’m spending the right amount of time on each project each week.

On 4/9/2019 at 4:54 PM, jchen25 said:

Thank you!

Also, having multiple planners is useful. I have a physical planner where I write everything down, then I have a digital planners. I use google calendar for events going at school or just in my life. I use the iStudiez Pro app for my school work, such as assignments, classes, and exams. I think I will use this for my TA position and maybe RA as well. I then have this physical notepad where each page has the seven days of the week where I can write out what I need to do for that week.

It sounds chaotic, but you gotta do what you need to in order to stay organized and have everything planned out.