Shut out

neechaa

Now that we are past April 15th I suppose most of us know the outcome of this application season. I applied to 6 PhD programs, was rejected by 4 of them and waitlisted by 2, only to be informed yesterday that all slots have been filled. After months of waiting it was heartbreaking to be shut out in that way! But I guess there are many more of you out there who have been shut out for the season, so starting this thread for those who would like to share their story of being shut out.

5 hours ago, neechaa said:

Now that we are past April 15th I suppose most of us know the outcome of this application season. I applied to 6 PhD programs, was rejected by 4 of them and waitlisted by 2, only to be informed yesterday that all slots have been filled. After months of waiting it was heartbreaking to be shut out in that way! But I guess there are many more of you out there who have been shut out for the season, so starting this thread for those who would like to share their story of being shut out.

I am sorry to hear. It is quite heartbreaking.

I know you'll already be asking yourself over and over what you need to fix and improve, or whether to invest in applying again.

Let me say this: whatever your choice for next year, remember your worth is not bound up in decision letters. You're more than your grades, recommendations, written samples, or standardized test scores. Your anxiety over the process is normal and legitimate. Your lack of offer does not mean you are incompetent. You can still love philosophy as a professional or as an amateur/well-invested hobbist, even if someone else did not choose to invest in you this time. Don't settle for a life that you know you cannot live with. You can face another round if you really want to; shut-outs are not uncommon.

Edited by Duns Eith

On 4/17/2019 at 1:48 AM, Duns Eith said:

I am sorry to hear. It is quite heartbreaking.

I know you'll already be asking yourself over and over what you need to fix and improve, or whether to invest in applying again.

Let me say this: whatever your choice for next year, remember your worth is not bound up in decision letters. You're more than your grades, recommendations, written samples, or standardized test scores. Your anxiety over the process is normal and legitimate. Your lack of offer does not mean you are incompetent. You can still love philosophy as a professional or as an amateur/well-invested hobbist, even if someone else did not choose to invest in you this time. Don't settle for a life that you know you cannot live with. You can face another round if you really want to; shut-outs are not uncommon.

I really appreciate the kind response.

As it turns out though, one of the schools that had earlier rejected me got more funding and offered me admission after the April 15th deadline (which I have accepted), so I was not shut out after all!  

Edited by neechaa

8 hours ago, neechaa said:

As it turns out though, one of the schools that had earlier rejected me got more funding and offered me admission after the April 15th deadline (which I have accepted), so I was not shut out after all!  

What school?

9 hours ago, neechaa said:

Wow! Congratulations!

11 hours ago, neechaa said:

[...]

University of Missouri

Waa hooo!!!

Congratulations!

Edited by Duns Eith