Coming out of student retirement

This post is for any grad students who took a year or two off before returning to SLP grad life. I am officially going back to school this fall, and am currently trying to curve my anxiety about not remembering anything from my CSD major days. It has been about 3 or 4 years since I was in the thick of my major courses. Will I be completely unprepared come the start of grad school? Luckily I have saved most of my notes/readings from undergrad, and I'm planning on slowly going through them. But just want to see if anyone else out that has had a similar experience and/or is feeling the same way. Thanks friends!

14 minutes ago, coffee4lyfe said:

This post is for any grad students who took a year or two off before returning to SLP grad life. I am officially going back to school this fall, and am currently trying to curve my anxiety about not remembering anything from my CSD major days. It has been about 3 or 4 years since I was in the thick of my major courses. Will I be completely unprepared come the start of grad school? Luckily I have saved most of my notes/readings from undergrad, and I'm planning on slowly going through them. But just want to see if anyone else out that has had a similar experience and/or is feeling the same way. Thanks friends!

Hi! I took a year off as well before going back this fall and I am 100% feeling the same way you do. I definitely feel unprepared but I guess a small blessing for me is that I have to take pre reqs this summer for the school I chose. Hopefully those classes will get me back in the proper mindset! 

You’re definitely not alone though! Congrats on getting in! 

I graduated in 2016, so I basically had 2 and half years of no school,, and then started taking perquisites online this semester... it was definitely rough at the beginning, especially since all of my friends are out of school, and don't have to spend time doing homework on the weekends.. but if you have good time management than you should be okay!!

Your grad courses will definitely do some review at the beginning of each semester. They know that some people come from different backgrounds and/or may have graduated a while ago, so I don't think you'll feel too lost as long as you do some basic review. Don't spend your whole summer studying! I think the most helpful things to refresh on would be IPA, neuro, anatomy, and maybe some developmental milestones (again, not crazy amounts!) just so that you feel comfortable with basic brain structure, English phonemes, and the larynx.  

I graduated 2017, and planning on attending this Fall. I also feel unprepared, so I'm basically going over my notes especially anatomy and physiology. My undergrad professor told me that in grad school, they don't teach anatomy and physiology cause it's something we should've already known. I'm pretty nervous.