Will getting 1 C ruin my chances for grad school?

Thank you to everyone who has replied! I just wanted to say that I have not gotten any C's yet I meant to say I may or may not get one. So far I have a 3.7 GPA outside the major and after this semester if I get a B which is what I'm aiming for I'll have a 3.6 in the major. I do aim for A's not B's and I understand I have a lot of B's right now...but after this semester if i get the B and not a C I'll have 4 A's and 4 B's. Then in the fall if I get A's in my major courses it'll be 7 A's and 4 B's.

On 4/19/2019 at 10:28 PM, futurespeechpath1 said:

That's amazing!! Congratulations!! Did you get mostly A's aside from the 3 C's? I have a lot of experience like being a research assistant, VP of NSSLHA, volunteer experience, being a literacy tutor, etc. but honestly grad schools seem to care more about academics than experience at least from what I've seen.

Yeah I think it depends, in biomedical sciences people can definitely make up for poorer grades and quality of undergrad institution by working in a pretty good lab for a year or two in postbac research. Not sure how it works in your field though. I got a number of B's as well, so ended up averaging with the 3.55 which is between a B+ and an A-.

On 4/19/2019 at 8:02 PM, futurespeechpath1 said:

If you don't mind me asking did you have mostly A's? And did you by any chance apply to schools in IL?

I had As in generally the first half of CSD courses, but Bs/A-s in the higher division upper level classes. Unfortunately, no I did not, mainly schools on the east coast in the area around NYC/DC 

On 4/21/2019 at 10:47 AM, 7layermagik said:

Yeah I think it depends, in biomedical sciences people can definitely make up for poorer grades and quality of undergrad institution by working in a pretty good lab for a year or two in postbac research. Not sure how it works in your field though. I got a number of B's as well, so ended up averaging with the 3.55 which is between a B+ and an A-.

Yeah it's really competitive everywhere. I'll just work extremely hard to pull a B in the class and aim for A's in my last few classes.

2 hours ago, lily849 said:

I had As in generally the first half of CSD courses, but Bs/A-s in the higher division upper level classes. Unfortunately, no I did not, mainly schools on the east coast in the area around NYC/DC 

That's really good! Ahh I wish I could go out-of state. Unfortunately, I can't go to the east coast right now due to financial reasons. I'm going to work extremely hard these last few weeks for a B then aim for A's in my last classes! Thank you!

Hi! I've had 2-3 Cs on my transcripts from pre-med and a D in a CSD course (I retook it and got an A) oops LOL and I got into the schools in my signature in my first round of applications. It's possible. ;) Remember, it's more than just a numbers game!! Good luck

10 hours ago, BioCook said:

Hi! I've had 2-3 Cs on my transcripts from pre-med and a D in a CSD course (I retook it and got an A) oops LOL and I got into the schools in my signature in my first round of applications. It's possible. ;) Remember, it's more than just a numbers game!! Good luck

Wow that's amazing! Thank you!

10 hours ago, Rickey Henderson said:

My guy I got my first F my last semester and had an overall of 2.8, and just got acceptances for 2 PhDs and 2 Masters programs. Just make sure you have other stuff going for you, and be willing to take some time off of school (1 year in my case) if you need! You still got this!

Oh wow thank you! I do have a ton of experience/volunteer stuff and I still haven't taken the GRE so who knows maybe I'll do super well on that.

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2019 at 7:33 AM, Rickey Henderson said:

My guy I got my first F my last semester and had an overall of 2.8, and just got acceptances for 2 PhDs and 2 Masters programs. Just make sure you have other stuff going for you, and be willing to take some time off of school (1 year in my case) if you need! You still got this!

I think this is a good point! I'm assuming your F wasn't in one of your CDS courses right? As long as you're doing well in the speech classes and proving you can succeed via other experiences I think programs will give you a shot :)