Will getting 1 C ruin my chances for grad school?

Hi everyone! I'm currently a junior and so far I've taken 5 classes in CSD and gotten 3 Bs and 2 As. After this semester it'll be either 4 Bs and 4 As or...3 Bs, 3 As and 1 C. I am so worried about getting a C in one of my courses...it seems as though anyone who received a C was either waitlisted or rejected and I feel like I'll completely ruin my chances at getting into grad school and don't see a point in applying if I do get a C. My grades in the major are already mostly Bs so that automatically ruins my chances. Has anyone gotten in and not been waitlisted or rejected with a few As, a couple Bs and a C? 

So far my grades look like this:

Intro- B (professor refused to round I was so close to an A)

Phonetics- A

Phonology- B

Language Disorders- A (pending)

Speech Science- B or C (pending)

Speech Science Lab (1 credit)- A (pending)

Language Development- A

Anatomy- B

Classes Left for Fall:

Clinical Methods

Audiology

Multicultural Communications

Classes Left for Spring:

Clinical Practicum

Neuroscience

Voice and Resonance

Senior Seminar

Edited by futurespeechpath1

22 minutes ago, hopefulfuturespeechie said:

I had a couple Cs on my transcript (Bio & chem yuck) and I was accepted to 3 schools. I did not get any C in CMD courses

My commutative GPA is fine I have As and Bs there. I'm just worried about getting a C in my major courses.

Hi! So I actually had a C- in a CSD class and had to take it again where I then got a B. Some schools (I know I applied I one that did) penalize you for retaking a class. Overall I had mostly Bs and maybe 3 As when I graduated.

I think the good thing for you is you have so many classes you can take. So the C might not be the best thing but your other classes will balance it out. I don’t know how much longer you have left for class but if your final is worth more or there’s any extra credit you can take advantage of put your absolute best effort forward to try and get that B. I think at least then you can honestly say to yourself you did your best. I know I did this many times for a lot of classes, not just the CSD ones. 

You can also always explain in your personal statement if you want why you struggled with that class/had a lower grade.

I hope this helps! 

Edited by VS-SLP2B

You need to aim for more As in your COMD classes. Just imagine that these next classes determine the rest of your life. You’ve already gotten some Bs, so I’d really suggest you find a method of studying that results in more As (and not rely on the professor rounding grades)

You won’t be fairing well if you have a C in your COMD classes. (Because Cs are considered failing/need to retake in grad school)

Edited by hiimkhanh

15 minutes ago, VS-SLP2B said:

Hi! So I actually had a C- in a CSD class and had to take it again where I then got a B. Some schools (I know I applied I one that did) penalize you for retaking a class. Overall I had mostly Bs and maybe 3 As when I graduated.

I think the good thing for you is you have so many classes you can take. So the C might not be the best thing but your other classes will balance it out. I don’t know how much longer you have left for class but if your final is worth more or there’s any extra credit you can take advantage of put your absolute best effort forward to try and get that B. I think at least then you can honestly say to yourself you did your best. I know I did this many times for a lot of classes, not just the CSD ones. 

You can also always explain in your personal statement if you want why you struggled with that class/had a lower grade.

I hope this helps! 

Thank you! I've been trying really hard not to get a C I keep telling myself if I get a B on the final and an A on the last quiz I'll get the B and be okay. I study everyday and look over my notes and everything everyday I don't know what I'm doing wrong in terms of studying because I feel like I understand the material. I'm a double major so re-taking classes isn't an option since I don't have much room in my schedule to re-take courses.

Edited by futurespeechpath1

9 minutes ago, hiimkhanh said:

You need to aim for more As in your COMD classes. Just imagine that these next classes determine the rest of your life. You’ve already gotten some Bs, so I’d really suggest you find a method of studying that results in more As (and not rely on the professor rounding grades)

You won’t be fairing well if you have a C in your COMD classes. (Because Cs are considered failing/need to retake in grad school)

I do try and aim for As I think my issue is my study methods which I don't really know how else I can study it seems like I've tried every way possible...I know everyone studies differently and different things work for different people but is there any study techniques you recommend? I read over and over, rewrite over and over, use quizlet, go to office hours and TA hours. I feel like I know the material but when I go to take the exam or quiz it doesn't show.

I earned a C in my Clinical Methods course and was still accepted to 5 schools! I also had a C in stats.

Grades aren't everything, but obviously do your best to earn A's in the rest of your CSD classes. If you have a chance to retake the course or do anything that relates to the Speech Science class (like research hours in a voice lab), you can use that experience and talk about it in your SOP. I did well in Clinical Practicum, so I mentioned in my SOP that I worked extra hard after earning my C to show professors I could do the work competently.

18 minutes ago, AlwaysaFalcon said:

I believe I had 3 C's total in undergraduate, 2 in classes not related to CDIS and 1 related to CDIS. My last cycle of applying I got into 3 graduate programs! :) 

I just keep telling myself I haven't gotten a C yet and I might nice but it's a possibility which is horrifying. Thankfully my non-CSD GPA is really good but I feel like grad programs don't really look at that. Did you have more As than Bs in your CSD GPA?

2 minutes ago, Jenisha G. said:

I earned a C in my Clinical Methods course and was still accepted to 5 schools! I also had a C in stats.

Grades aren't everything, but obviously do your best to earn A's in the rest of your CSD classes. If you have a chance to retake the course or do anything that relates to the Speech Science class (like research hours in a voice lab), you can use that experience and talk about it in your SOP. I did well in Clinical Practicum, so I mentioned in my SOP that I worked extra hard after earning my C to show professors I could do the work competently.

Did you get mostly As aside from the C? I'm just really nervous because it seems like grad schools don't care much for extracurriculars and just look at GRE and GPA. 

3 hours ago, futurespeechpath1 said:

I read over and over, rewrite over and over, use quizlet, go to office hours and TA hours. I feel like I know the material but when I go to take the exam or quiz it doesn't show.

I'm sorry you're in this stressful situation. You mentioned you use Quizlet. Have you tried "Learn" mode in Quizlet? I know everyone has their own style, but what works for me is to create fill in the blank Quizlet questions. The blank should be the one or two words that are the most important pieces of information in the sentence. Then in Learn mode, I select just the multiple choice and "write" options, but not the flashcard one (too easy). For example "___ is a disorder of swallowing," or "The primary motor cortex is located on the ___ lobe." If there are powerpoint slides or handouts I try to use the words almost exactly, because more often than not, questions tend to show up phrased that way on the test. I also try to really break down information. So, instead of making one card with 5 bullet points about dysarthria, I would make 5 cards. Once you get 100% on learn mode, you can go through and star what is still challenging. I also create quizlet decks as I'm reading my textbooks, because I don't want to have to read it again. When there is a really tough concept or process, I find explaining it to a friend or family member in simple terms is really helpful because it helps me find the holes in my knowledge.

Unfortunately, so much of pre-masters work seems to be rote memorization. In grad school we get to apply the critical thinking. When I first went to school I was an A/B student because I really didn't know how to study (and I wasn't that motivated), but when I went back for my CSD prerequisites, I knew I had to figure out how to be an A student and Quizlet coupled with tracking my study hours has done the trick. Good luck to you!

11 minutes ago, Rezzy S. said:

I'm sorry you're in this stressful situation. You mentioned you use Quizlet. Have you tried "Learn" mode in Quizlet? I know everyone has their own style, but what works for me is to create fill in the blank Quizlet questions. The blank should be the one or two words that are the most important pieces of information in the sentence. Then in Learn mode, I select just the multiple choice and "write" options, but not the flashcard one (too easy). For example "___ is a disorder of swallowing," or "The primary motor cortex is located on the ___ lobe." If there are powerpoint slides or handouts I try to use the words almost exactly, because more often than not, questions tend to show up phrased that way on the test. I also try to really break down information. So, instead of making one card with 5 bullet points about dysarthria, I would make 5 cards. Once you get 100% on learn mode, you can go through and star what is still challenging. I also create quizlet decks as I'm reading my textbooks, because I don't want to have to read it again. When there is a really tough concept or process, I find explaining it to a friend or family member in simple terms is really helpful because it helps me find the holes in my knowledge.

Unfortunately, so much of pre-masters work seems to be rote memorization. In grad school we get to apply the critical thinking. When I first went to school I was an A/B student because I really didn't know how to study (and I wasn't that motivated), but when I went back for my CSD prerequisites, I knew I had to figure out how to be an A student and Quizlet coupled with tracking my study hours has done the trick. Good luck to you!

I use those functions on Quizlet but I never tried the fill in the blank method but I'll give it a try! Thank you so much!

4 hours ago, futurespeechpath1 said:

Thank you! I've been trying really hard not to get a C I keep telling myself if I get a B on the final and an A on the last quiz I'll get the B and be okay. I study everyday and look over my notes and everything everyday I don't know what I'm doing wrong in terms of studying because I feel like I understand the material. I'm a double major so re-taking classes isn't an option since I don't have much room in my schedule to re-take courses.

Do you think maybe you might second guess yourself? I did this constantly for a lot of classes. During the exams I knew the answer but then I’d get in my own head and end up answering wrong. 

I understand not having a lot of time to re-take a class. I ended up retaking mine during the summer session otherwise I would’ve been set back an extra semester.

I’m positive though you’ll pull through with that B. I’m rooting for you! 

13 minutes ago, VS-SLP2B said:

Do you think maybe you might second guess yourself? I did this constantly for a lot of classes. During the exams I knew the answer but then I’d get in my own head and end up answering wrong. 

I understand not having a lot of time to re-take a class. I ended up retaking mine during the summer session otherwise I would’ve been set back an extra semester.

I’m positive though you’ll pull through with that B. I’m rooting for you! 

I know for sure I second guess myself. My anatomy professor told me he'd always be disappointed to see that I erased the correct answer on my scantron and bubbled in an incorrect answer, he said if I didn't do that he doesn't doubt I would've gotten an A in the course. I am praying and studying so hard for a B I always work super hard but in that class it never shows. I wish the course was offered over the summer, unfortunately at my undergrad no CSD classes are offered over the summer.

I got a C in one of my CSD courses - had a rough semester. Don’t let it get you down! That being said, I got waitlisted to most schools I applied to and accepted to two. Around 3.6 overall GPA- not unexpected in my case. Just focus on practicing for the GRE & getting Bs/As in future classes. I’m accepted into grad school so it can be done!! Just work hard :)

Edited by lily849

17 minutes ago, lily849 said:

I got a C in one of my CSD courses - had a rough semester. Don’t let it get you down! That being said, I got waitlisted to most schools I applied to and accepted to two. Around 3.6 overall GPA- not unexpected in my case. Just focus on practicing for the GRE & getting Bs/As in future classes. I’m accepted into grad school so it can be done!! Just work hard :)

If you don't mind me asking did you have mostly A's? And did you by any chance apply to schools in IL?

58 minutes ago, 7layermagik said:

I wouldn't catastrophize too much. I had 3 C's in undergrad with a total GPA of ~3.55. Will be going to a PhD program at Northwestern in the fall. I did work as a lab technician after undergrad though, which boosted my resume.

That's amazing!! Congratulations!! Did you get mostly A's aside from the 3 C's? I have a lot of experience like being a research assistant, VP of NSSLHA, volunteer experience, being a literacy tutor, etc. but honestly grad schools seem to care more about academics than experience at least from what I've seen.

I had 2 or 3 C's on my transcript, but all A's in my CSD courses. Also, I'm a "nontraditional student" so my C's were from 2009-2013. My CSD courses were from 2017-2019. I got into 5/7 schools I applied to and waitlisted at 2/7. Hope this helps!

Edited by rose2019

I definitely had C or two (and lower) early on in my undergrad career. I also had my CSD adviser bluntly tell me that I needed to pick another field to go into, because my GPA would never be good enough (I had a 2.5ish at one point and finished undergrad with a 3.2). But low and behold  I got accepted into my two dream schools (Teacher College Columbia and UMD).  YOU CAN DO IT! You have a ton of time life, and a lot of important classes. I'd suggest talking with your professor in the class you got a C in, and ask for any suggestions on how to succeed in the following semesters. (a lot of my undergrad profs overlapped in the classes they taught, idk if that's the case for you) but either way it shows you care and it's a good mentor opportunity, could maybe lead to a letter of rec too. 

Also, take a look at your resume and see where you can build (volunteering, research, etc.) Acceptances to grad school aren't all GPA based, and it's much easier to build your resume while still in college with tons of opportunity around. 

And lastly, don't get down on yourself! After my adviser told me I needed a new field lol I got really bummed, but turned it into motivation. You're going to be fine! Hope this helps

18 hours ago, futurespeechpath1 said:

Hi everyone! I'm currently a junior and so far I've taken 5 classes in CSD and gotten 3 Bs and 2 As. After this semester it'll be either 4 Bs and 4 As or...3 Bs, 3 As and 1 C. I am so worried about getting a C in one of my courses...it seems as though anyone who received a C was either waitlisted or rejected and I feel like I'll completely ruin my chances at getting into grad school and don't see a point in applying if I do get a C. My grades in the major are already mostly Bs so that automatically ruins my chances. Has anyone gotten in and not been waitlisted or rejected with a few As, a couple Bs and a C? 

So far my grades look like this:

Intro- B (professor refused to round I was so close to an A)

Phonetics- A

Phonology- B

Language Disorders- A (pending)

Speech Science- B or C (pending)

Speech Science Lab (1 credit)- A (pending)

Language Development- A

Anatomy- B

Classes Left for Fall:

Clinical Methods

Audiology

Multicultural Communications

Classes Left for Spring:

Clinical Practicum

Neuroscience

Voice and Resonance

Senior Seminar

I don’t think it’s necessarily the “ 1 C “ that you have to worry about, it’s your grades/gpa overall. Of course 1 c isn’t the best, but it’s also not the worse depending on your situation. however, since you already have a good amount of B’s, it’s not the best. You should be trying to get all A’s in your CSD classes and if you had done that then one C wouldn’t be horrible. But since you already have a lot of B’s the C won’t be the best. I would say you should definitely retake the class. In my program a C is considered failing and you can’t graduate with a C, also if you want to go to grad school they usually only accept classes that you received a B or better in, not C’s. Overall, I would suggest retaking some of the classes you got B’s in and definitely retaking the class you’re about to get a C in. Also reevaluate your study habits, maybe start studying earlier. & beef up your resume as best as possible! If you’re going to have low stats, an amazing resume can get you into grad school! Focus on studying hard, retaking classes, & boosting that resume! You can do it!

1 hour ago, mc161921 said:

I don’t think it’s necessarily the “ 1 C “ that you have to worry about, it’s your grades/gpa overall. Of course 1 c isn’t the best, but it’s also not the worse depending on your situation. however, since you already have a good amount of B’s, it’s not the best. You should be trying to get all A’s in your CSD classes and if you had done that then one C wouldn’t be horrible. But since you already have a lot of B’s the C won’t be the best. I would say you should definitely retake the class. In my program a C is considered failing and you can’t graduate with a C, also if you want to go to grad school they usually only accept classes that you received a B or better in, not C’s. Overall, I would suggest retaking some of the classes you got B’s in and definitely retaking the class you’re about to get a C in. Also reevaluate your study habits, maybe start studying earlier. & beef up your resume as best as possible! If you’re going to have low stats, an amazing resume can get you into grad school! Focus on studying hard, retaking classes, & boosting that resume! You can do it!

I do aim for A's and I haven't gotten the C yet I'm just worried I will get a C in the class. There is a chance I'll get a B though I'm just worried I won't bring it up.

2 hours ago, coffee4lyfe said:

I definitely had C or two (and lower) early on in my undergrad career. I also had my CSD adviser bluntly tell me that I needed to pick another field to go into, because my GPA would never be good enough (I had a 2.5ish at one point and finished undergrad with a 3.2). But low and behold  I got accepted into my two dream schools (Teacher College Columbia and UMD).  YOU CAN DO IT! You have a ton of time life, and a lot of important classes. I'd suggest talking with your professor in the class you got a C in, and ask for any suggestions on how to succeed in the following semesters. (a lot of my undergrad profs overlapped in the classes they taught, idk if that's the case for you) but either way it shows you care and it's a good mentor opportunity, could maybe lead to a letter of rec too. 

Also, take a look at your resume and see where you can build (volunteering, research, etc.) Acceptances to grad school aren't all GPA based, and it's much easier to build your resume while still in college with tons of opportunity around. 

And lastly, don't get down on yourself! After my adviser told me I needed a new field lol I got really bummed, but turned it into motivation. You're going to be fine! Hope this helps

Thank you! I haven't gotten a C yet I'm just worried I will get one after I take the final exam. There is still a chance I'll get a B if I do really well on the final.