Funded MA philosophy programs

psych-grad

Hi all,

I'm a first year psych phd student who has realized that I am more interested in pursuing philosophy.  I am looking to start a funded philosophy MA program in either fall 2019 or spring 2020.  Any recommendations?

Thanks!

In the US, consider NIU, GSU, UWMilwaukee, Houston, SFSU, Virginia State, Western Michigan, and CSULB. If memory serves, those all offer full funding (though perhaps not to all accepted applicants).

In Canada, most of the universities with PhD programs also have good MA programs, and several without a PhD offer a great MA. Full funding is easier to come by if you're Canadian, but international applicants can also get it. You could start by considering Simon Fraser, Victoria, Concordia, Toronto, Western, Queen's, Calgary, and UBC, although there are plenty of other great MA programs around.

It might be easier to give you a list of suggestions if you said a little more about your interests in philosophy.

The advice above me is really good.

However:

19 hours ago, psych-grad said:

to start a funded philosophy MA program in either fall 2019 or spring 2020.

You're a little late to start as soon as you'd like. Applications for funded MAs in philosophy are already long past (the last one was like February or so -- most are due in Dec-January). I don't know of any funded MA program that admits students (with funding) mid-way in the year.

So, you're looking for starting either a non-funded MA Fall '19 or Spring '20, or starting Fall 2020. Prep this Summer and start putting in applications Nov/December.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Edited by Duns Eith

My experience at LSU was great, though my primary adviser is now elsewhere. Can answer questions if anyone is interested.