Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About philosophaurus_rex

  • Rank

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. My initial piece of advice would be to apply to more programs than you currently list. I planned to apply to 12 programs (I think that’s a decent number, but some people apply to almost twice as many.). As it happens, I made a few very silly mistakes, which cut my applications down to 9. I’d made a list of due dates, and I accidentally switched the dates for two schools. On a different application, I included the wrong SOP and I think that probably had a significantly negative impact on my packet for that school (but then again, maybe it didn’t). I still ended up being accepted to 3 schools, but I’m glad I erred on the side of caution, and applied to as many places as I could. There is (at least some degree of) luck involved in the application process, in addition to human error. I’d strongly suggest that you apply to at least 8 schools, if you are able to. Many schools offer fee waivers, though you may have to do some digging to find out how to qualify. Edit: I cannot speak to phil of science because it is not my AOI.
  2. Accepted my offer from UC-Davis. I’m glad to be done with this application season, and excited for this coming fall. 🙂
  3. I just declined my offer from NIU. I was offered funding, so this should help someone who’s waitlisted for funding.
  4. Declined at NIU. I was offered funding, so hopefully this will help someone who is waitlisted for funding, too.
  5. Hello, humans. I was accepted at UC-Davis, NIU, and VA Tech, and I have been offered full funding and tuition remission for each. I am torn about what to do because I think that perhaps I could be admitted to a more highly ranked PhD program if I attend NIU or VA Tech first, but I also think that I could be quite happy at Davis. I qualify for a fellowship that I will only receive if I am accepted to a PhD program (It's a fellowship from a program that I am already involved in, at my undergrad institution.). Additionally, if I accept Davis then I would not have to go through the application cycle again. I'm quite tempted to accept the offer from Davis, yet I wonder if I will be hurting my eventual employment prospects. My primary worry is that I am allowing the offer of a fellowship, and the feeling of prestige that admittance to a PhD program begets, to unduly impact my decision. Perhaps it really is in my best interest to attend NIU or VA Tech. I have reached out to a couple of professors about this, and while one has advised me to go with Davis (Their advice was that I can always transfer, if I really want to.), the other has yet to respond and the application for this fellowship is due next month. I am becoming anxious. I would appreciate any advice on this matter. Thanks!
  6. I emailed Dr. Clapp about funding a few days ago, and he replied today to let me know that I am first on their waitlist for funding. However, I am planning to accept a different offer, so I will likely decline very soon. I'm just waiting to speak with my mentor before I do so.
  7. I was also accepted to NIU. Funding is up in the air. I’m just glad that I haven’t been shut out. This is my first acceptance (previously rejected from Chapel Hill and Northwestern).
  8. Created an account just to express my appreciation for this. I laughed.
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.