Lakehead HBSW - Orillia

Hey all! 

I wanted to start a topic here for those entering the Lakehead HBSW program in Orillia (starting in July) to discuss any details/information you've heard. Also, if anyone has attended the program before and could share any helpful information prior to us starting that would be greatly appreciated. 

Hey there!
I did this program, graduated last fall. :) If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to help. Two things immediately come to mind:
1) The summer is a bit insane. You complete an entire course in about a week and it is pretty much impossible to have a life. On the plus side, the weeks fly by and it's over quickly.
2) I wish I'd waited to purchase any textbooks because the profs were really good about providing the readings to us online, or I was able to find the textbook as a free pdf. I'm not sure if this will be different going forward, but it might be worthwhile to hold off buying textbooks until you've had your first class. 

Congrats on getting into the program! I hope you enjoy it.

50 minutes ago, blueeyedblonde said:

Hey there!
I did this program, graduated last fall. :) If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to help. Two things immediately come to mind:
1) The summer is a bit insane. You complete an entire course in about a week and it is pretty much impossible to have a life. On the plus side, the weeks fly by and it's over quickly.
2) I wish I'd waited to purchase any textbooks because the profs were really good about providing the readings to us online, or I was able to find the textbook as a free pdf. I'm not sure if this will be different going forward, but it might be worthwhile to hold off buying textbooks until you've had your first class. 

Thank you so much - that’s so helpful! What does the course sequence look like in the summer? There isn’t too much info online and I haven’t heard anything yet through Lakehead (should be coming soon). How many courses do you do in the fall and winter semesters? 

Did you find most people relocated to Orillia for the program? Also curious about placements - what was that process like and where did you do yours? 

Hope Im not bombarding you too much with questions - and congrats on graduating!

Edited by Danny11

Ask as many questions as you like! :) I am happy to help.

Courses:

We had four courses through the summer. Two were full credit courses, and the other two were worth 0.5 credits. The 1.0 credit courses took more time than the 0.5 credit courses. I think the 1.0 credit courses took 2(ish) weeks to complete. The first course was Intro to Social Welfare (SOWK1100). I am struggling to recall the order of the other three, but they were Foundations of Social Work Practice (SOWK2011), Human Development (SOWK2012) and Theory of Social Work Practice (SOWK3401). 

In the fall, I had four courses. Some people had 5 as one of the courses can be taken either in person in the fall, or online in the winter (I opted to take it online in the winter term). You'll also be starting a research course in the fall that will stretch into the winter term (in the fall, you take the class in person. In winter, it is taken online). The winter term also consists of an elective (which I also took online) and placement. Basically, I ended up taking four courses in-person in the fall, and 3 courses online in the winter in addition to placement. 

Placement:
Generally, I'd say the rules surrounding placement were pretty flexible. The hours you work each week can be negotiated between the student and the agency, so you are not expected to work full-time at placement in addition to completing the winter courses. The deadline to complete placement hours is also flexible as well and will vary depending upon how many hours you work each week. 

I believe we met with a placement coordinator early in the fall semester. We provided her with some places we'd like to work in, and then she'd reach out to them. I chose to complete my placement as a post-secondary institution and had a great experience. I seem to recall the speed at which people were matched to an agency varied quite a bit. Some people had no problem securing one quickly, others seemed to be up in the air for a while.

Relocating:
I'd say about half of my class had relocated to Orillia. I seem to recall some relocating from Toronto, while others were from other provinces. I did not have to relocate, so unfortunately, I cannot comment on residence. I believe a couple of students moved to Orillia into their own apartments.

I hope this helps! Let me know if there is anything else you're wondering about. 
If you are hoping to go into an MSW program, I'd also suggest getting to know your profs (you'll need them to be references in the future) and also chat with the graduate students that are assisting your profs in the fall semester. If there is one thing I regret, it is not learning more from the graduate students! :) 

On 5/7/2019 at 6:44 PM, blueeyedblonde said:

Courses:

We had four courses through the summer. Two were full credit courses, and the other two were worth 0.5 credits. The 1.0 credit courses took more time than the 0.5 credit courses. I think the 1.0 credit courses took 2(ish) weeks to complete. The first course was Intro to Social Welfare (SOWK1100). I am struggling to recall the order of the other three, but they were Foundations of Social Work Practice (SOWK2011), Human Development (SOWK2012) and Theory of Social Work Practice (SOWK3401). 

In the fall, I had four courses. Some people had 5 as one of the courses can be taken either in person in the fall, or online in the winter (I opted to take it online in the winter term). You'll also be starting a research course in the fall that will stretch into the winter term (in the fall, you take the class in person. In winter, it is taken online). The winter term also consists of an elective (which I also took online) and placement. Basically, I ended up taking four courses in-person in the fall, and 3 courses online in the winter in addition to placement. 

Placement:
Generally, I'd say the rules surrounding placement were pretty flexible. The hours you work each week can be negotiated between the student and the agency, so you are not expected to work full-time at placement in addition to completing the winter courses. The deadline to complete placement hours is also flexible as well and will vary depending upon how many hours you work each week. 

I believe we met with a placement coordinator early in the fall semester. We provided her with some places we'd like to work in, and then she'd reach out to them. I chose to complete my placement as a post-secondary institution and had a great experience. I seem to recall the speed at which people were matched to an agency varied quite a bit. Some people had no problem securing one quickly, others seemed to be up in the air for a while.

Relocating:
I'd say about half of my class had relocated to Orillia. I seem to recall some relocating from Toronto, while others were from other provinces. I did not have to relocate, so unfortunately, I cannot comment on residence. I believe a couple of students moved to Orillia into their own apartments.

I hope this helps! Let me know if there is anything else you're wondering about. 
If you are hoping to go into an MSW program, I'd also suggest getting to know your profs (you'll need them to be references in the future) and also chat with the graduate students that are assisting your profs in the fall semester. If there is one thing I regret, it is not learning more from the graduate students! :) 

This is so incredibly helpful - thanks so much! I'm definitely planning on doing my MSW afterwards so I'll try to make those connections early on. Did you move on to do your MSW/find that a lot of students were well-equipped for this after the program?

Really appreciate you taking the time to put together this thoughtful answer  - makes me feel more in the know about the program!

I am so glad I could help! :)

I am currently in the process of applying to MSW programs right now, so I cannot say how much this program has really prepared me, however I did feel that the profs expected that we would all want to go on to pursue MSWs after the program and they were very supportive of this. Generally, I felt that the HBSW program focused a lot on theory and there was an unsaid expectation that we would gain more practical experience by working/volunteering in the social work field. Some of my classmates came to the program with lots of prior SW experience, but I did not. Once I finished the program, I still did not feel entirely prepared for frontline work, but I do think that I gained a lot of foundational knowledge about SW theory and research that could be expanded upon in an MSW program. I hope that helps a bit! 

• 3 months later...

I will be applying this year for HBSW - Lakehead (both campuses). How competitiive is this program? I have a 3.0 gpa and placement experience. Right now I work in health care as a receptionist because it pays the bills. I was recommended this program to help out with my msw application. Since a year has gone by does anyone have any suggestions? 

@tsunarmi When I applied to the HBSW program I was under the impression it was fairly competitive and I found the application process quite stressful. I am unsure how many applications they receive, but by applying to both campuses your odds will likely increase. Of course competition with other applicants will vary year to year, but once I actually started the program I felt that the competition was not as scary as I imagined it to be. My first degree had nothing to do with social services and my work experience was only loosely related, I also did not have much volunteer experience. For these reasons, I didn't have a lot of confidence when applying to the program, but I was accepted unconditionally. Looking back on it, I wish I hadn't stressed about the application process as much as I did. The application considers a number of factors, only one of which is your previous marks. Overall, I think it is worth a shot for anyone trying to get into social work. 

The majority of people in my class seemed to have a lot of volunteer experience, so that might be a way to boost your application.

I also did the program as an easier way to get to an MSW and it worked out well (I am just starting my MSW now). Having a BSW allows you to apply to the advanced track MSW programs, which is really nice. I felt that the HBSW did a good job of providing foundation theoretical knowledge that I could take into an MSW program. It's also a great opportunity to boost your gpa before applying to the MSW programs. 

Hope this info helps a bit! :) 

• 1 month later...

Hello! I was wondering if you submit one application for BOTH campuses? I specified in the OUAC application AND Supplemental Information (Form A) that I have applied to both. Just double checking that one application is considered for both campuses if specified.

Additionally, for the transcripts, I am having difficulty communicating with LU (called numerous times and the info is scattered). I'm in my fourth year of Undergrad and on the OUAC application it states to request a transcript - immediately, after this term, or upon graduation. Just confirming that upon graduation is correct. This would confirm that I have graduated and obtained an undergraduate degree, which is needed for the HBSW. If someone could let me know, that would be fantastic!

Also, for the paper copy of the transcript to be sealed and sent to the Thunderbay campus, I should request for a transcript from my university AFTER this term - when my grades have been posted AND I have enrolled in the Winter semester to showcase in-progress courses, right?! And my last question, once the OUAC application is submitted, should I upload a CURRENT, unofficial transcript on MyInfo?

Sorry for all the questions - it's hard to get my head on straight as this process is so unique!

Good luck everyone!! 

On 10/16/2019 at 3:12 PM, 7astrology-- said:

Hello! I was wondering if you submit one application for BOTH campuses? I specified in the OUAC application AND Supplemental Information (Form A) that I have applied to both. Just double checking that one application is considered for both campuses if specified.

Additionally, for the transcripts, I am having difficulty communicating with LU (called numerous times and the info is scattered). I'm in my fourth year of Undergrad and on the OUAC application it states to request a transcript - immediately, after this term, or upon graduation. Just confirming that upon graduation is correct. This would confirm that I have graduated and obtained an undergraduate degree, which is needed for the HBSW. If someone could let me know, that would be fantastic!

Also, for the paper copy of the transcript to be sealed and sent to the Thunderbay campus, I should request for a transcript from my university AFTER this term - when my grades have been posted AND I have enrolled in the Winter semester to showcase in-progress courses, right?! And my last question, once the OUAC application is submitted, should I upload a CURRENT, unofficial transcript on MyInfo?

Sorry for all the questions - it's hard to get my head on straight as this process is so unique!

Good luck everyone!! 

Hi there! I'm currently completing the program so I can definitely answer any program-related questions that you may have. For OUAC, that's correct! You submit one application, and you have the option to apply for both or one campus (I think it's a bit more money to apply to both but worth it). On OUAC and the supplemental information form you indicate which location is your first and second place preference.

Unfortunately, I applied several years after graduating my first degree so I'm not 100% sure how the transcripts work if you're still enrolled in a program and don't want to give you the wrong information. I would advise reaching out to one of the program coordinators/academic advisors particularly for the social work program, as they'll be able to give the most direct response for this program. They are typically very responsive! 

If you have any questions about the program don't hesitate to reach out - I'm loving it and couldn't recommend it enough! Good Luck!

5 hours ago, Danny11 said:

Hi there! I'm currently completing the program so I can definitely answer any program-related questions that you may have. For OUAC, that's correct! You submit one application, and you have the option to apply for both or one campus (I think it's a bit more money to apply to both but worth it). On OUAC and the supplemental information form you indicate which location is your first and second place preference.

Unfortunately, I applied several years after graduating my first degree so I'm not 100% sure how the transcripts work if you're still enrolled in a program and don't want to give you the wrong information. I would advise reaching out to one of the program coordinators/academic advisors particularly for the social work program, as they'll be able to give the most direct response for this program. They are typically very responsive! 

If you have any questions about the program don't hesitate to reach out - I'm loving it and couldn't recommend it enough! Good Luck!

Hey! Thank you so much for responding! It's great to hear that you are loving it! 

I will definitely reach out to the admissions office for SW at Lakehead.

You will definitely be hearing more from me! 

@7astrology-- When it comes to transcripts, I believe you need to send a copy along with your initial application (so they can assess your marks) and you'll need to send them again once you complete your degree (to show proof of graduation). I am unsure if unofficial transcripts will be sufficient at any point in the process, but if you are reaching out to Lakehead anyway then they should be able to tell you. :) 

• 1 year later...
On 5/7/2019 at 4:26 PM, blueeyedblonde said:

Hey there!

On 5/7/2019 at 6:44 PM, blueeyedblonde said:

Courses:

Placement:

Relocating:

Hi there! I know this topic is over a year old but I'm hoping folks are still around. 

I was wondering how competitive the program is, grade-wise? I have significant work/volunteer experience but my grades aren't anything to write home about and they're worth 40% in the consideration... also, how large was the class size?

Thank you kindly for your time ?

@itswingless Yes, still around! :D 

I recall the class size being around 18-22 people. 

Quite honestly, I am not sure how competitive the program is. I applied with very high marks, but little to no social work volunteer/work experience. I put a lot of effort into my application and had very strong, supportive references. I was very stressed about the competitiveness of the program, but in hindsight I truly wished I had not worried about it so much. I envisioned everyone else applying having a 4.0 gpa and extensive social work experience, but that really didn't seem to be the case. I also heard that applying to both the Thunder Bay campus and the Orillia campus will increase your odds of being accepted. I only applied to the smaller of the two campuses and was still able to get in without any issues. :) 

I hope this helps! Please reach out if you have any other questions.

On 12/10/2020 at 6:40 PM, HBSW said:

Hey friends, can anyone speak on the personal statement exam? I'm curious what its like.

I wrote the exam back in 2016, so it may have changed, but it was basically a combination of essay and short-answer type questions. From what I remember, they weren't hard, but it was very time consuming. We were allotted 3 hours and I needed the entire time to thoroughly answer all the questions. Feel free to privately message me if you have any other questions about it, or about the HBSW program in general. :) 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...