Fall 2020 Theater/Performance Studies PhD

theatregrad18

• 5 weeks later...

anyone advice on what Stanford wants us to write in the Artistic Statement? It is extremely confusing. "Provide the Committee with a brief (no more than 3 pages double spaced) description of your theoretical approach to production/artistic practice."

• 2 months later...

Bumping, but also contributing.

I've been on the fence for applying for programs this year. I haven't taken the GRE yet as finances get in the way. I have also perused the PhD programs in my general area (Southern California) and cannot for the life of me find faculty directly in the Theater department who I share research interests with. One of my buddies told me that, while he was doing his PhD in Theater, he did work with faculty in other departments and that this is fairly normal thing for our field. I know the recommended practice is to choose 2-3 faculty who share your general research interests, and I can't really justify applying to programs that I have looked at where I only share interests with just one of them. That's my biggest anxiety about the process right now. 

I will be applying for one PhD program this year, as I did find their program interesting in that they have a nice mix of research and practice, and I did find that 2-3 faculty who I'd love to research/practice under. I am not putting all of my eggs in one basket; I'm fairly confident that my professional experience can net me a job after finishing this MA in December. 

Non-application stuff: Is anyone presenting at PAMLA in San Diego this year?

Hope everyone is doing well!

On 6/19/2019 at 2:54 PM, theatergeek said:

anyone advice on what Stanford wants us to write in the Artistic Statement? It is extremely confusing. "Provide the Committee with a brief (no more than 3 pages double spaced) description of your theoretical approach to production/artistic practice."

Hi theatergeek, 

After speaking to an affiliate of that program, what I've learned is the Artistic Statement prompt is asking about your unique perspective and practices as a Theatre Maker-Lover-Advocate-Person. So, while the personal statement is about why you want this PhD, what you're doing/will do at Stanford/will do after Stanford, why Stanford is a good fit for you and vice versa, etc. The Artistic statement is about practice. Are you a director? Performer? Playwright? How do YOU approach your practice of theatre/performance, and why? 

Happy Fall, everybody! What's your PhD short list? I won't get into my research interests too much, as to not out myself. In no particular order, here's mine: 

• Washington 
  • Stanford  (By the way, phew @ that October 10th Knight-Hennessy fellowship deadline.) 
  • Brown 

Also 

• Northwestern (maybe) 
  • Pitt (maybe maybe) 
  • Minnesota (maybe maybe maybe) 

• 2 months later...
On 6/19/2019 at 2:54 PM, theatergeek said:

Hey I applied to Stanford TAPs and was waitlisted.  POI gave me pointers for my app this time around. 

For the artistic statement, they are hoping to see that you have some theoretical underpinning to the work that you are creating. They aren't kidding when they say there's a dual focus on both practice and theory. If I were you, I'd think about what conceptually drives your art. 

I hope that helps!  

On 12/5/2019 at 12:41 PM, LapisLazuli<3 said:

Hey all!

This year I'm applying to 

Berkeley PS, Stanford TAPS, MIT Media Lab (PJ, LLK, VC), Harvard AFVS. 

I feel strangely calm about the the application process. Wishing you all the best of luck ❤️ 

I am feeling pretty okay, too. I've been working on my materials for quite some time now, so I'm satisfied that they are the best they can be. Wishing everyone the best of luck, too. :)

• 5 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jickey said:

Received an interview request from Columbia and UCLA, both of which are to take place in mid Jan. No news from other programs yet....

Congratulations!

I also applied to those two, I guess I just out of the game. 

4 hours ago, YUJIE said:

Congratulations!

I also applied to those two, I guess I just out of the game. 

Thanks! Although sometimes it is possible that schools do not send out interview requests at one go!

I’m passing along a warning from a friend offsite—H*rvard might be inconsistent when it comes to funding arts grad students. She had amazing learning experiences, but they left her with 6-figure debt, which she didn’t expect from an Ivy. If you get an interview I’d recommend (professionally) ensuring you’re on the same page about finances. If you have enough external support to swing it, it could be great for you—but it might be a mistake for first gen students, or those with dependents to support. Also, general reminder, look into your prospective programs’ grad unions. Dissertating is hard enough. Make sure you’re as taken care of as possible. ❤️

Edited by theatregrad18

I just saw the posts on the results page. Stanford and Berkeley are interviewing. I hope you guys made it.

I got the rejection from Berkeley, which is not a surporise though. 

Also got my first offer from OSU PhD in Dance Studies, which is very delightful. Since my background is dance-centered. 

Waiting for the UCSB decision, and hopefully hear back from other schools.

Oof. Looks like I missed the cut for TAPs. Congrats to all those who got the interview!

Sorry about the Berkeley rejection. Where did you see it? Were you interviewed? I checked my application portal- I don't have a change to my status yet. 

Edited by LapisLazuli<3

3 minutes ago, LapisLazuli<3 said:

Oof. Looks like I missed the cut for TAPs. Congrats to all those who got the interview!

Sorry about the Berkeley rejection. Where did you see it? Were you interviewed? I checked my application portal- I don't have a change to my status yet. 

And we’re sure they send interview requests all out at once? :( Double oof

Congratulations on the offer!! I had an interview with Berkeley, and was told that the admission committee would meet on this Wednesday and that decisions would be communicated within the next couple of weeks. Also have one interview scheduled with Stanford, they framed it as a "semi-finalist pool"...