Has anyone taken chemistry online?

I did. I took it online through Central Texas College. It was tough, but I got my credit. They have most classes like that on a “shortened” long semester. What I mean is that my class started Jan 14 and ended April 10, took off a week for spring break. I literally had homework every weekend and what killed me were the tests. They were more difficult and like 30-40 questions in a 1 hr time limit. A lot of them also required math. My grad school only requires me to get a C or better for chem. Thank GOD Bc I am super proud of that C. 

I took it online this semester at Cal State Fullerton with professor Byrne. It wasn't difficult but there was A LOT of busy work, so generally we had about 1 participation assignment, 1 homework, 1 quiz, 1 WileyPlus -- this is scattered throughout the weeks (sometimes we would have like four things due and others 1 or 2, varies throughout the week). 

BUT, I know that I had an easier experience than some of my friends that took it in person and had to sit through 3 hour lectures.... I would suggest doing chem online. 

I've heard Chemistry @ ENMU is a breeze. I took physics with Andersen at ENMU and even though the lab directions where kind of confusing sometimes he grades SUPER easy. There are also no exams or quizzes. Only labs and simple reading assignments that consist of a few one sentence answers. For one class there it's usually around $800. 

14 hours ago, nguyen16041 said:

I took it online this semester at Cal State Fullerton with professor Byrne. It wasn't difficult but there was A LOT of busy work, so generally we had about 1 participation assignment, 1 homework, 1 quiz, 1 WileyPlus -- this is scattered throughout the weeks (sometimes we would have like four things due and others 1 or 2, varies throughout the week). 

BUT, I know that I had an easier experience than some of my friends that took it in person and had to sit through 3 hour lectures.... I would suggest doing chem online. 

Ya know, I think the same. I had it better via online too! Hahahahaha what I feel made mine tough was the “shortened” time limit. I mean, we literally crammed an entire semester of work in from Jan 14- April 10. That’s kind of crazy! I also start grad school the last week of May so I am getting about a month and a half of no homework so, it worked out. 

I took it online at ENMU. Easy A with a little bit of effort. Professor is super nice too. 10/10 do recommend. Let me know if you have any questions!

Edited by jsieges

10 hours ago, MH13 said:

Ya know, I think the same. I had it better via online too! Hahahahaha what I feel made mine tough was the “shortened” time limit. I mean, we literally crammed an entire semester of work in from Jan 14- April 10. That’s kind of crazy! I also start grad school the last week of May so I am getting about a month and a half of no homework so, it worked out. 

I have always struggled with chemistry, bio and all the other sciences are fine, I just have always found chem to be very dry... so that made the class a bit challenging so I could never focus. Thank goodness my professor just tested us by multiple choice - I knew some friends that had to actually had short answers ??? GIRL, I wouldn't even know where to begin. But I mean.... Online was the easy route, I thank goodness I did that. ??

18 hours ago, jsieges said:

I took it online at ENMU. Easy A with a little bit of effort. Professor is super nice too. 10/10 do recommend. Let me know if you have any questions!

Thank you!!

On 5/17/2019 at 11:05 PM, MH13 said:

I did. I took it online through Central Texas College. It was tough, but I got my credit. They have most classes like that on a “shortened” long semester. What I mean is that my class started Jan 14 and ended April 10, took off a week for spring break. I literally had homework every weekend and what killed me were the tests. They were more difficult and like 30-40 questions in a 1 hr time limit. A lot of them also required math. My grad school only requires me to get a C or better for chem. Thank GOD Bc I am super proud of that C. 

I noticed ASHA posted about the new course requirements on social media same time I was on so I asked if the classes can be taken for credit/no credit or a grade. I was so relieved I found out credit/no credit is an option! I am the worst at math and honestly chemistry does not sound "fun". Lol 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2019 at 3:30 PM, SoCali said:

I noticed ASHA posted about the new course requirements on social media same time I was on so I asked if the classes can be taken for credit/no credit or a grade. I was so relieved I found out credit/no credit is an option! I am the worst at math and honestly chemistry does not sound "fun". Lol 

I would caution everyone to check with the grad programs you are considering before taking any pre-reqs for pass/no pass (even the non COMD ones). I applied to 4 online programs (and spoke with 3 other online programs) they ALL said I had to have a letter grade (well, one said I didnt but that it would be counted as a C  because thats the lowest passing grade and they had no way of knowing what I got)! Just dont want anyone to waste any time and then find out the schools have different ideas about grades than ASHA. (Each program has the right to decide if they will accept pass/no pass or CLEP. Just because ASHA says its ok doesnt mean they have to adhere to that and many of them dont).

A great option for Chemistry is online through Shasta Community College in CA with Prof. Cliff Gottlieb. Google his name. He even has a blog about how he makes it easy to learn and knows that SLP's need and take his course! Gives out a study guide that has all the actual questions for tests on it. So, answer the guide and then use it for the tests! All open book. Super easy.

Hope that helps someone.

Edited by CaidanFire

On 5/29/2019 at 11:27 PM, CaidanFire said:

I would caution everyone to check with the grad programs you are considering before taking any pre-reqs for pass/no pass (even the non COMD ones). I applied to 4 online programs (and spoke with 3 other online programs) they ALL said I had to have a letter grade (well, one said I didnt but that it would be counted as a C  because thats the lowest passing grade and they had no way of knowing what I got)! Just dont want anyone to waste any time and then find out the schools have different ideas about grades than ASHA. (Each program has the right to decide if they will accept pass/no pass or CLEP. Just because ASHA says its ok doesnt mean they have to adhere to that and many of them dont).

A great option for Chemistry is online through Shasta Community College in CA with Prof. Cliff Gottlieb. Google his name. He even has a blog about how he makes it easy to learn and knows that SLP's need and take his course! Gives out a study guide that has all the actual questions for tests on it. So, answer the guide and then use it for the tests! All open book. Super easy.

Hope that helps someone.

I am going to look into the course with Shasta, thank you!