GRE Scores: To re-take or to not re-take

Hi all,

I just took my GREs and got a 142 on quantitative and a 159 on verbal. I always sucked at math and I always will. I know I will never get into the 50th percentile for math on the GRE. I am applying to 4 schools (in the PA, MD, and NJ area) and my GPA for the major is 4.00 and my GPA overall is 3.967. I believe I have a strong application in all other areas. However, my quantitative score is worrying me. Do you recommend I re-take it? Thank you!

I would recommend trying to get your quant up to 150. I’m bad at math and hadn’t taken a math class in probably over 5 years and managed to get a 155. Learned the concepts using the Princeton Review book, and practiced using the 5 lb Book of GRE Questions. Practice and time to practice are key. Good luck :)

In my personal experience, I did horrible on the GRE and still got into my top choice school. It was a last minute decision to take the GRE so I didn't study and took it sick. I got a 145 Quantitative, 142 Verbal, and a 4 writing score. I also applied to only 4 schools and had a 3.9 GPA and was super nervous about my GRE score but thankfully things worked out and I didn't have to retake it. I feel like schools look more seriously at your GPA and personal essays more than your GRE, so if you did bad I don't think it will ruin your chances but a better score wouldn't hurt! 

Depending on the schools you plan on applying to, a 142 may not be enough to get past the paper screening. (Two of the schools I applied to required a minimum of 145 in both Q and V) So check the admission requirements for the four schools that you're applying to to decide whether or not your need to retake the GRE to reach that cutoff if you have one.

I would recommend you go to the ASHA EDFIND to find the average GRE scores and GPA admitted to the four schools you're applying to. You can find it here https://www.asha.org/edfind/ to compare your stats to admitted students in the program.

Your V is pretty good, and depending on your AW I would suggest that you not take the GRE again (Especially with a GPA as high as yours)

Edited by hiimkhanh

Your scores really aren't awful! However, I'd definitely also recommend checking EdFind to see the average stats for the four schools you're applying to, and if quantitative averages are all higher than your score, perhaps consider retaking or widening your net of schools you're applying to. (Just for reference, all the schools I applied to, which I believe were pretty average in terms of competitiveness, had average quantitatives ranging from 145-150.) That being said, a lot of cutoffs I've seen have been for a 300+ combined score from quantitative and verbal, so you've got that! Your GPA is good and if other parts of your application (resume, essay) are competitive, then you probably don't need to retake it. But definitely factor in the schools - if they're all super competitive, then you might need to bring the score up.

A really high GPA can make up for a lower GRE at least at some schools! Everyone's experience is different but I have a friend who had a 3.9 commutative, 4.0 in the major, 289 on the GRE, and a ton of experience and she got in 4 schools, waitlisted but later admitted into one, got an interview then rejected from another. I don't think you should retake it because I really don't think your scores are bad, especially since your GPA is excellent! Oh and another thing I heard somewhere SLP programs tend to look at your verbal score or your overall score more but that might just be some schools.

Edited by futurespeechpath1