Gap Year Job Ideas/Advice

Hi everyone! I am about to graduate with my BA in Communication Sciences and Disorders. I am looking to take a gap year (I will be applying to graduate schools in the fall) and was wondering if anyone had any full time job ideas in a related field that you can get with only a BA.  I have thought about being an SLP-A but am struggling to find a SLP to take me under their wing to get the certification needed. If anyone has any recommendations on getting your SLP-A certificate, job ideas related to the field, or just general things I can do during my gap year to boost my overall appeal for graduate schools I would love to hear them! Thanks in advance :)

I know we just talked about it, but I've found teaching English abroad to be a really fun way to spend a gap year while still staying in the general realm of the field - I feel a lot more prepared to work with grammar, pronunciation, and related areas in grad school after working with English language learners. I've also been working as a teacher with VIPKID doing online tutoring for Chinese students - could be a good side job, regardless of whatever you decide to do during the gap year! :)

As the user above mentioned teaching English abroad is a good idea. I looked into this when I decided I wanted to do a gap year. You could probably stay in the States to do this too but from what I remember there weren’t as many opportunities as there would be abroad.

Something that might boost your overall appeal (in my opinion) is if you become a teacher through CityYear (teaching experience + experience working with kids). If you haven’t heard of it, it’s like Teach for America except you only have to commit for one year as opposed to two. Since they do training in the summer it might be a little late for this but there still might be time left. 

I used USA Gap Year Fairs to help give me ideas on what to do. They have a ton of ideas on their website. 

Also, if you end up finding a job that isn’t actually field related you can always get in more observation hours/shadowing. 

I hope this helps! 

• 3 weeks later...

I volunteered/observed with an SLP that was doing hippotherapy! That was where I found my passion for speech and after graduation I found my way back there, I have always loved horses. I think that schools like seeing something on your application that you are really passionate about and it gives you an edge above others. I also went on a trip abroad to work with speechies through Therapy Abroad. I think finding something that either you haven't tried before or have less experience in is always a good option too, it will give you insight to see if you like the setting, the population, etc. There are so many options! Always feel free to reach out too :)

I have worked as a SLPA for 4 years and I am in my first semester into my graduate program. I will say, stay close to the field; make sure your gap year is relevant to speech pathology. Schools are more willing to hire SLPAs than a home health/ECI setting. I didn't intend to work as a SLPA as long as I have, but my program will do an app cycle for their distance ed program once every 2 years and I have to work. Good luck in whatever you pursue, just make sure that whatever you do is relevant to speech pathology in some way. I would say that unless they ask for a resume, they may not be concerned with what you did in the gap year. Just make sure if wherever you apply to that asks for a resume, link your experiences back to speech pathology there for sure.. if no link, don't make it up :). I shouldn't have to say that (not saying you would) but someone reading this might need a reminder of that! I've been floored by some of the 'what should be obvious' things that we've been told in grad school so far because it's been an issue! 

I volunteered at an integrated preschool that had typically developing and children with different speech and language disorders. It was nice to work in that team setting and also gain experience working with the younger kids. I also got to observe an SLP which confirmed that I was going down the right path.