Fulbright 2020-21

Loujoelou

Hi Everyone, 

I applied to spend a year working on my dissertation and doing field work in Amman, Jordan. I, obviously, submitted the application, however, I am a bit nervous as I have not heard back yet. Has anyone heard back yet? Middle East countries?

I have two questions: Does all principal candidates of fulbright nomination get a grant? if not can someone clarify it a bit for me? second, is there anything prevent me from doing DAAD interview while waiting for the the Fulbright response?

P.S

I am an international student applying for masters in USA

any idea? I am losing my mind here to do the interview for the DAAD or not since I am a fulbright grant principal candidate.

On 10/13/2019 at 6:02 PM, postfarternism said:

Found this off of the Fulbright subreddit, but the information looks as if it may be in the wrong columns...should help though! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Cd86U9AreH9k_-WKLKnLCLn_C5MC3FKvZZ9RhlqSAq4/edit#gid=1535702113

Thank you so much!

My fellowship adviser just reached out to me to say that notifications for UK partnership applicants will be coming out today! It seems as if last year everyone on the spreadsheet heard back between 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm EST(?). Finger crossed! Good luck everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2019 at 11:13 AM, Ilovesoup1997 said:

https://join.slack.com/t/fulbright2020-2021/shared_invite/enQtNjMyNTYyOTM0ODcxLWM2NDU1YThlN2U5NjI3OGUwNDAyODE3ZjllOTcwMzU4ZmIzYTI3NGE2NzBhZDhmMTJiMDcwMmI5YzU5NjRmMGU

Here is is the link to join the slack group. Let me know if it doesn’t work and I can just invite you individually. 

Hello, the link is not working. Would you please invite me to the slack group?

I had my Fulbright research interview today below is a list of questions I was asked

• How will you be recruiting participants given the sensitive topic of your research?
  • How will you protect respondents?
  • Elaborate on the theoretical framework of your study.
  • What specific resources do you have available to help you with the project? How will you utilize these resources?
  • Who are the people that will be supporting your research in your designated country and how will they be helping your research?
  • Is your project feasible given the Fulbright time limits? Explain.
  • Why are you choosing to conduct this project in this particular country?
  • What benefits does your project have? What is the ultimate outcome?

My biggest piece of advice is to know your project well and to be able to elaborate on different aspects of your project. 

18 hours ago, OptimiscallyAnxious said:

I had my Fulbright research interview today below is a list of questions I was asked

• How will you be recruiting participants given the sensitive topic of your research?
  • How will you protect respondents?
  • Elaborate on the theoretical framework of your study.
  • What specific resources do you have available to help you with the project? How will you utilize these resources?
  • Who are the people that will be supporting your research in your designated country and how will they be helping your research?
  • Is your project feasible given the Fulbright time limits? Explain.
  • Why are you choosing to conduct this project in this particular country?
  • What benefits does your project have? What is the ultimate outcome?

My biggest piece of advice is to know your project well and to be able to elaborate on different aspects of your project. 

Thank you for sharing! 

3 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Hello! How can I be added to the slack group conversation? I am applying next spring and would need advice.

DM me your email and I will send you an invite. ? 

8 hours ago, Karina Anna said:

What are the chances of being promoted from Alternate to Principal Status for the Scholar Program ? Is it possible ? Would some people ever decline the award ? Any insight would be helpful

From what I've seen on slack a lot of people have different programs and job opportunities to pick between. I would just keep your hopes up, being a semi-finalist for Fulbright is a huge accomplishment regardless if you receive it or not. 

When did you hear back from Fulbright? 

11 hours ago, Ruvvk said:

From what I've seen on slack a lot of people have different programs and job opportunities to pick between. I would just keep your hopes up, being a semi-finalist for Fulbright is a huge accomplishment regardless if you receive it or not. 

When did you hear back from Fulbright? 

OK thanks...2/10

Do you know what the typical wait period is for updates ? 

3 hours ago, Karina Anna said:

OK thanks...2/10

Do you know what the typical wait period is for updates ? 

This spreadsheet might actually help. It is a database of Fulbright notifications for each country/award dating back to 2010. 

If that doesn't help slack has with more knowledgeable applicants that might be able to answer your questions. I've seen similar q's on there. The link is on the google doc. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Cd86U9AreH9k_-WKLKnLCLn_C5MC3FKvZZ9RhlqSAq4/edit#gid=1793815533

Edited by Ruvvk

6 hours ago, Ruvvk said:

This spreadsheet might actually help. It is a database of Fulbright notifications for each country/award dating back to 2010. 

If that doesn't help slack has with more knowledgeable applicants that might be able to answer your questions. I've seen similar q's on there. The link is on the google doc. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Cd86U9AreH9k_-WKLKnLCLn_C5MC3FKvZZ9RhlqSAq4/edit#gid=1793815533

Thanks

I was notified that I am an alternate. They say that I will not receive any additional messages unless more funding becomes available. I guess that one way that more funding becomes available is by one of the winners declining. Can someone send me information about joining the Slack group in a private message?

In case that it helps, below is the content of the notification.

"The Institute of International Education (IIE) wishes to inform you that you have been designated as an Alternate candidate for the Fulbright U.S. Student Program for 2020-21.

While you have not currently been selected as a Principal candidate, your selection as an Alternate for a Fulbright award is, in itself, an achievement for which you can be justly proud. Please know IIE has no way of predicting the chances of an individual Alternate’s chances for promotion to Finalist, nor do we maintain ranked lists of Alternates. 

IIE maintains Alternate lists until it is no longer feasible to offer new grants for the current academic year and will ONLY contact you if additional funding becomes available. You will receive no further correspondence on your status unless additional funding becomes available.

It is important that you advise us immediately if you are no longer available to accept a Fulbright Award. You will remain on the Alternate list unless you withdraw your application, in writing, from the competition.

No additional information should be sent to IIE in support of your application, as it will have no effect on your status. 

Please note that your Alternate status in no way prejudices your chances for success in future Fulbright U.S. Student Program competitions. If you are not promoted to a Principal candidate and you wish to apply again for a Fulbright Award, your application will be considered solely on the basis of eligibility requirements, merits, and the placement possibilities in the country of your choice.

We appreciate your interest in the Fulbright Program. "

• 2 weeks later...