Fulbright 2020-21

Loujoelou

Hello everyone!

The Fulbright 2020-21 application cycle for this year has been open since April and most applicants from last year's forum were already notified of their results. Congratulations to everyone on the forums that became a finalist last cycle! This can be a great place to ask questions, understand the process, get to know other Fulbright applicants, and endure the long notification waiting period ?.

A little bit about myself: I was a semifinalist in the 2018-19 cycle for Australia, and am re-applying this year!

I wish you all the best in making it, and let the annual Fulbright application forum begin! :D

I'm thinking about applying but honestly I'm not sure if I will or not. I'm a current Peace Corps Volunteer in Eastern Europe and I'd like to stay in the area to keep practicing my Russian. I just don't know if I can do another 9-10 months abroad or if I'll be able to afford it money-wise. I'm angling for one of the difficult to get international relations fellowships in grad school and I need to make up for not being able to afford to do anything in undergrad or move to DC for a 30k/year job after undergrad. I wish I had someone to talk to about all this stuff!

On 6/3/2019 at 10:11 AM, InMySwordITrust said:

I'm thinking about applying but honestly I'm not sure if I will or not. I'm a current Peace Corps Volunteer in Eastern Europe and I'd like to stay in the area to keep practicing my Russian. I just don't know if I can do another 9-10 months abroad or if I'll be able to afford it money-wise. I'm angling for one of the difficult to get international relations fellowships in grad school and I need to make up for not being able to afford to do anything in undergrad or move to DC for a 30k/year job after undergrad. I wish I had someone to talk to about all this stuff!

Also a Europe PCV. Reaching the point in service where I have to actually think about the future and i don't like it. I want grad school (same as you, IR focus) I need to take GRE and start preparing applications, but I am also in the point of service where I am just exhausted mentally. I have really lost focus/ stock my skills and abilities and career desires. Really tempted to apply for a fulbright bc I feel some extra work exp (gotta make up for GPA a bit) would help my app and idk if im ready to apply now. 

Hello, I would like to apply but from Canada to pursue one semester of research abroad. Everywhere it says they fund people for nine months. Is it possible to be funded for a semester only (so less than nine months)? 

On 6/10/2019 at 3:15 PM, Byrek said:

Also a Europe PCV. Reaching the point in service where I have to actually think about the future and i don't like it. I want grad school (same as you, IR focus) I need to take GRE and start preparing applications, but I am also in the point of service where I am just exhausted mentally. I have really lost focus/ stock my skills and abilities and career desires. Really tempted to apply for a fulbright bc I feel some extra work exp (gotta make up for GPA a bit) would help my app and idk if im ready to apply now. 

I've decided to do it. When I look at all the Pickering and Rangel fellows with Fulbright in their bios, it's clear that I have to at least try. Peace Corps is a good first step, but I need a little more to have a shot of getting funding/getting in. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was a semifinalist last year for South Korea ETA, and I'm taking one more swing at it this year! Does anyone know what's up with the Slack? There's a link in the notification spreadsheet, but it says you need an invite before you can actually access it. The people in Slack were so helpful and encouraging last year so I hope it's gonna be up again this time.

Applying to a Fulbright to do my dissertation field research in Zambia. This will be my first time applying for a Fulbright so I am a little nervous especially since I will need to develop a completely different dissertation project if I do not get it.

• 3 weeks later...

I am thinking of applying to a Fulbright for a Masters in Scotland, but am also realizing that I am way behind most people in the application process. My grand plan for using a gap year to work on grad applications really got delayed by working two peoples' job at one job + being in a wedding.

Honestly, I'm not even sure if it's worth it or if I should just wait until next year? My biggest worry is making connections with university advisers. July doesn't seem too late for a regular grad school application, in terms of contacting potential advisers, but it does seem sort of late for the Fulbright... 

Happy Wednesday All,

I am currently in the process of applying for research grant to the UAE. I saw that there was a Slack for the 2020-2021 grant cycle but I have no clue how to access it. I am happy that this thread started so that there is a place for this year's applicants to weather this process together. 

On 7/16/2019 at 9:58 PM, Lily9 said:

I am thinking of applying to a Fulbright for a Masters in Scotland, but am also realizing that I am way behind most people in the application process. My grand plan for using a gap year to work on grad applications really got delayed by working two peoples' job at one job + being in a wedding.

Honestly, I'm not even sure if it's worth it or if I should just wait until next year? My biggest worry is making connections with university advisers. July doesn't seem too late for a regular grad school application, in terms of contacting potential advisers, but it does seem sort of late for the Fulbright... 

It seems a little late but that doesn’t mean that it is impossible and also don’t get caught up in what everyone else is doing, if you think you can put together a solid application in time you should go for it. Also if you are applying to a graduate degree in Scotland or other places in the UK if it is a partnership award not all of those require letters of affiliation or admission at the time of application, so check the website to double check what you need. But you do have to go through the university admissions process as well.

I cold emailed the person I want to work with in Zambia and he replied the next day, so you never know the process could move much quicker than you think.

I honestly forgot I started this forum and was pleasantly surprised to see these posts! I wish you all the best with your application processes. A lot of you seem hesitant due to the time needed. However, it's all about the mindset. If you push yourself and stay focused, I am sure you can finish your applications by the October deadline. However, the time to start is now if you are thinking about it! Regarding the Slack group, can anyone send me an invite if you happen to receive the link / invite? I would love to join it as well! 

Similar to @SportPhD, I emailed the person I really wanted to research with in Australia in 2017, and had the opportunity to do research in Australia that summer. I am using these same affiliations for the Fulbright application this cycle. An email can go a long way and make that affiliate connection you need if you are applying for a research grant!

• 3 weeks later...

I feel supremely unqualified and also feel like I waited too late to begin this application, but life has gotten in the way every time I've started it. Finally have asked for LoR's, started the essays...luckily my life is entering a calmer period as I wait for a grant project to begin. Anyone else feel the same way?

Canadian aiming at US PhD programs (2020 start) here. Fullbright Canada has me all confused.

I can take the award (15k usd) to the American institution I list in my application (enter three in a dropdown, maybe list more in the actual written part itself?) -- I get that part, except maybe if I get in only somewhere I didn't list in my application. The problem is I am planning on applying to maybe 8 or more schools. Should I just append a list in the SOP? Maybe in a footnote?

Also, the deadline is Nov. 15 which is causing me some troubles. Some schools aren't due for a month or more after that. What's more, I actually have plans to meet with POIs sometime likely AFTER Nov 15 but before those schools' deadlines.

But Fullbright Canada asks for proof that your application has been submitted by Nov 15 for their internal deadline. Do all the Canadian applicants deal with this every year?

Good luck to everyone.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello everyone! Could someone link me to the excel Fulbright sheet that keeps track of those who have already received the Fulbright and those who are applying? I have been looking and can't seem to find it. 

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

https://join.slack.com/t/fulbright2020-2021/shared_invite/enQtNjMyNTYyOTM0ODcxLWM2NDU1YThlN2U5NjI3OGUwNDAyODE3ZjllOTcwMzU4ZmIzYTI3NGE2NzBhZDhmMTJiMDcwMmI5YzU5NjRmMGU

Here is is the link to join the slack group. Let me know if it doesn’t work and I can just invite you individually. 

On 9/26/2019 at 12:38 PM, SmarteyMartey said:

Hello everyone! Could someone link me to the excel Fulbright sheet that keeps track of those who have already received the Fulbright and those who are applying? I have been looking and can't seem to find it. 

Thank you!

Found this off of the Fulbright subreddit, but the information looks as if it may be in the wrong columns...should help though! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Cd86U9AreH9k_-WKLKnLCLn_C5MC3FKvZZ9RhlqSAq4/edit#gid=1535702113

• 1 month later...

Hey guys ? 

Glad to hear from the "people of fulbright”.

So, I became a semi-finalist and passed GRE and TOEFL.

GRE-292

TOEFL-84

Considering the fact I am the only biologist in my country's competition, what are my chances to become a finalist?

I applied for food microbiology but only just now I have discovered that there are very few food microbiology masters in USA. Is it possible to send them a letter and ask to apply for general microbiology? (since they are applying instead of me).

Thanks in advance and wish you all the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I am a Fulbright fellow from India for academic session 2020-21. Got selected this year in late August. Have taken GRE (324; Quant-169) and TOEFL (110) and applied for Masters in Harvard Kennedy, Princeton, Columbia and Uni of Michigan. 

• 4 weeks later...

I just got an email notification yesterday that I am a semi-finalist for Germany for research! I'm a dual-PhD Candidate in History and Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies in the process of writing my dissertation. Here's hoping for good news in a few months!