Fall 2020 Industrial Organizational Psychology PhD

On 10/27/2019 at 8:33 AM, sunshine_vv said:

Hi everyone, 

I am also applying this cycle but I am primarily looking at Canadian programs like Calgary, Western, Guelph and Waterloo since i am doing my undergrad in Canada. I have taken the GRE general and my stats are amazing but they aren't bad (V: 156, 73 percentile; Q:167, 90 percentile, W: 5/6, 92 percentile), I also didn't have my GRE psychology done. I am really interested in the program at Minnesota, does anyone think I have a shot or my not-so-stellar GRE + lack of GRE psychology is going to bar my application from even getting looked at? Thanks!

I'm not sure about Canadian programs, but I think your scores are great and would definitely get looked at at UMN! Also, you never know until you try, so don't take yourself out of the running.

Officially applied to two schools - aiming to get the other two December 1st deadline applications done by Friday!

I'll be trying to apply to about 3 a week 11/11 - 11/24 which is pretty nerve-wracking.

It's pretty quiet in this thread but hoping others join in as applications start getting submitted. Good luck to whoever is reading out there!

13 hours ago, Psychological Yam said:

I'm not sure about Canadian programs, but I think your scores are great and would definitely get looked at at UMN! Also, you never know until you try, so don't take yourself out of the running.

Thank you! You are applying to some really good schools! If you don't mind me asking what's your background like?

9 hours ago, sunshine_vv said:

Thank you! You are applying to some really good schools! If you don't mind me asking what's your background like?

The full thing is in one of my first posts on this thread, but a quick blurb is Psych BA minors in leadership and sociology, 3.66 overall GPA, 3.94 jr/sr GPA, 3.98 psych GPA, 2.5 years of research assistant experience, 1 year departmental honors thesis that I received a grant for as well as presented and published (at my university), GRE Q 156 V 160 AW 5.0 (weak spot), 3-4 strong letters of recommendation

However, I'm applying knowing that I have slim chances at Penn, Depaul, and Rice, medium chances at TAMU, Portland, and Baruch, and better chances at FIU, GWU, and SDSU - these assumptions are solely based off of GRE and GPA though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi hi. 

I am also applying this year to PhD programs (international student). I applied to only four (4) schools which I know is a big risk especially with my terribly low GRE scores. 

I have a BSc Psychology: GPA 3.89

MSc Clinical Psychology: We did not go by a GPA system but I maintained an A average.

I completed research and stats courses at both the undergraduate and graduate levels and in most, I got an A.

I've completed 3 research projects including 2 theses and presented at university conferences. 

After completing my masters, I worked for a year doing interventions with schools and organizations.

Before I did the GRE exam on October 24th, I was hopeful but now...sigh. It has been depressing.

VR: 151

QR: 148

AW: 5.0

I always perform poorly on standardized tests especially with limited time to study for them. I had just over a month to study for the GRE. I am hoping the schools can overlook the scores and that my background and letters of recommendation will get me at least one acceptance....idk! I think if the school has no cutoffs and indicate that they look at the applications holistically, we still have a chance. Yes it's a big risk especially with the number of applications going in but I'm really hoping it's still possible. 

To everyone waiting and those of you worried because of your GRE scores, I really do wish you the best. I find comfort in knowing that I'll end up right where I'm suppose to (even if that's no where this rounds )...hope you can find comfort in that as well. But ofc...that doesn't make the waiting any easier.

Oh I applied to:

Penn State (sigh I know, ambitious)

UMD: Sdos program

BGSU

UCF

Akron and UGA were on my list as well but I did not meet their gre cutoffs/preferred GREs so I didn't bother to apply.

Happy for any feedback! Again, all the best to everyone.

Well, I officially hit the submit button on my applications this morning! My stomach is in knots already and the waiting has only begun.

I applied to six schools: BGSU, Wayne State, UNC Charlotte, Clemson, Rice, and Houston. I'll have my master's in I-O by the time fall 2020 rolls around, so I tried to select schools that are open to accepting a great deal of credit. Best of luck to all!

On 11/21/2019 at 4:23 PM, IO_Psych2020 said:

Hi hi. 

I am also applying this year to PhD programs (international student). I applied to only four (4) schools which I know is a big risk especially with my terribly low GRE scores. 

I have a BSc Psychology: GPA 3.89

MSc Clinical Psychology: We did not go by a GPA system but I maintained an A average.

I completed research and stats courses at both the undergraduate and graduate levels and in most, I got an A.

I've completed 3 research projects including 2 theses and presented at university conferences. 

After completing my masters, I worked for a year doing interventions with schools and organizations.

Before I did the GRE exam on October 24th, I was hopeful but now...sigh. It has been depressing.

VR: 151

QR: 148

AW: 5.0

I always perform poorly on standardized tests especially with limited time to study for them. I had just over a month to study for the GRE. I am hoping the schools can overlook the scores and that my background and letters of recommendation will get me at least one acceptance....idk! I think if the school has no cutoffs and indicate that they look at the applications holistically, we still have a chance. Yes it's a big risk especially with the number of applications going in but I'm really hoping it's still possible. 

To everyone waiting and those of you worried because of your GRE scores, I really do wish you the best. I find comfort in knowing that I'll end up right where I'm suppose to (even if that's no where this rounds )...hope you can find comfort in that as well. But ofc...that doesn't make the waiting any easier.

Oh I applied to:

Penn State (sigh I know, ambitious)

UMD: Sdos program

BGSU

UCF

Akron and UGA were on my list as well but I did not meet their gre cutoffs/preferred GREs so I didn't bother to apply.

Happy for any feedback! Again, all the best to everyone.

It definitely seems as if your background shows that you have a dedicated interest in and aptitude for research! What are your topics of interest?

Hi everyone!

I submitted my first three apps yesterday for BGSU, UGA, and Washington State! Now finishing up apps for PSU, Teacher's College, Clemson, and UTSA. I feel like I'm just finishing and submitting based on principal, because my stats are not great. Definitely preparing for a second application cycle. 

I have 2.5 years of research experience and one conference presentation (1 year of I/O research and the rest in 2 neuropsych labs)

Majored in psychology and specialized in communication management on a semester abroad

Undergrad overall GPA is 3.5, junior and senior GPA is 3.8, GRE is 154 V 149 Q 4 W (studied so much but just not a great test taker)

I live in the area so I've met with PIs at PSU and Washington State, both went well 

I don't think I have much going for me but wanted to post here for some solidarity, and also to wish others luck!

Thanks for letting me rant, everyone!

On 12/9/2019 at 2:58 PM, sunshine_vv said:

I know this is probably a dumb question. But do most programs have interviews? If so, about when should we get an interview invitation? 

Most of the good programs do! I got invitations around mid/end of January, and had interviews in February, but I also had offers as late as March. 

On 12/2/2019 at 1:54 PM, IOIOIO said:

Hi everyone!

I submitted my first three apps yesterday for BGSU, UGA, and Washington State! Now finishing up apps for PSU, Teacher's College, Clemson, and UTSA. I feel like I'm just finishing and submitting based on principal, because my stats are not great. Definitely preparing for a second application cycle. 

I have 2.5 years of research experience and one conference presentation (1 year of I/O research and the rest in 2 neuropsych labs)

Majored in psychology and specialized in communication management on a semester abroad

Undergrad overall GPA is 3.5, junior and senior GPA is 3.8, GRE is 154 V 149 Q 4 W (studied so much but just not a great test taker)

I live in the area so I've met with PIs at PSU and Washington State, both went well 

I don't think I have much going for me but wanted to post here for some solidarity, and also to wish others luck!

Thanks for letting me rant, everyone!

Congrats! I applied to PSU too :)

I'm also prepared for a second application cycle, so I feel your pain. Here's to hoping though!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, I just completed all my applications to PhD programs in I/O psychology.  I'm a senior psych major who went to Texas A&M as an undergraduate, so I was lucky enough to get to be an assistant in a couple I/O labs. If you have any questions about TAMU, I can try to answer them. Now comes the fun part of waiting for interviews/decisions! Best of luck to everyone

Anyways, here's the places I applied to (all for PhD except Omaha):

Michigan State

Wayne State

North Carolina State

Georgia Tech

University of Central Florida

Old Dominion

University of Nebraska Omaha (MA)

Florida Tech

Clemson 

University of Houston

@iam_sunshine I'm an applicant this round and I just had an phone interview for one lab, so I can tell you how that was! That's all I've had so far though. The professor asked why I wanted a PhD in I/O psych, what my dissertation topic would be if I had to pick one now, what my favorite and least favorites parts of research were, why I was interested in that school/lab, whether I was interested in grants, and maybe a few more things I'm forgetting. I definitely recommend having "double-edged" questions for the interviewer -- meaning ones that tell them about you and what you're interested in as well as providing you with information you need. An example could be asking about research another faculty member does and whether there are opportunities for collaboration (showing you've researched other faculty members and have broad, well-matched interests for the department), or asking about department lectures/student groups/etc that you'd be able to be involved in (showing your interest in service/the community side of being a student). Take all of this  with a grain of salt since I haven't heard back with a yes or no yet haha :)

Edited by arewedoneyet

18 hours ago, arewedoneyet said:

@iam_sunshine I'm an applicant this round and I just had an phone interview for one lab, so I can tell you how that was! That's all I've had so far though. The professor asked why I wanted a PhD in I/O psych, what my dissertation topic would be if I had to pick one now, what my favorite and least favorites parts of research were, why I was interested in that school/lab, whether I was interested in grants, and maybe a few more things I'm forgetting. I definitely recommend having "double-edged" questions for the interviewer -- meaning ones that tell them about you and what you're interested in as well as providing you with information you need. An example could be asking about research another faculty member does and whether there are opportunities for collaboration (showing you've researched other faculty members and have broad, well-matched interests for the department), or asking about department lectures/student groups/etc that you'd be able to be involved in (showing your interest in service/the community side of being a student). Take all of this  with a grain of salt since I haven't heard back with a yes or no yet haha :)

Hi! Would you mind sharing the school via PM?

You will be asked more questions during phone interviews. If you get invited to campus, they are serious about you and know that you have the potential to be successful in their program. On-campus interviews are used to get a feeling for the fit between you and your potential advisor. Come prepared with good questions and talking points for each of the professors at that program.  I was not prepared for my first on-campus interview. The first thing the potential advisor asked was if I had questions. I had expected him to ask me questions about my experiences or why I deserve to be in their program, and I was completely thrown off. My phone interviews were more about my experiences. @arewedoneyet provides good potential questions for phone interviews. I would recommend showing your specific interest in the professor too. Collaboration is good, but you want to show that you do have a specific interest and that the potential advisor would be a good match for those interests.  My experience: I had 4 phone interviews and 4 on-campus interviews during my application cycle. 

8 hours ago, IOapp2020 said:

I'm still waiting to hear back from any school. But I see that you got an interview at Charlotte. When did you hear back from them?

I heard from Charlotte on 1/9 for their on-campus interview 2/23-24.